Naming Your Baby is Like Getting a Tattoo

Proserpina

Mother of Dragons
Reaction score
I knew that I wanted a tattoo from the time that I was a teenager, but I had several problems. The first was that I was nervous about making such a permanent change to my body. It just seemed like, if I was going to do this, it had to absolutely perfect. The second was that I wasn't really sure what I wanted. I had to be sure that my tattoo was going to be something that I loved, that I wouldn't mind having on my body for the rest of my life. I knew that I only wanted one tattoo, so I needed to get this right the first time.

Over the years I went through different ideas on what to get, sometimes inspired by what other people had. For example, I was and am a Christian, and one of my youth leaders at church had a small cross on the bottom side of his big toe, so I thought about that for a while. Another Christian friend had an ichthys on her back, and I thought about getting something similar. Jennifer Knapp, my favorite Christian musician at the time, had a crown of thorns on her bicep. Another time I was watching a television show wherein the actress bent over and I saw that she had a rose in "tramp stamp" position, and I thought, "damn, that's sexy. Now that's what I want!"

The problem was, every time that I told someone else what I wanted, they would make a comment to the effect of, "that's stupid." Or, "don't do that, everybody does that." When I was in rose-phase, one of my friends even said to me (before I had told him what I wanted), "Just make sure it isn't one of those f***-me roses." "Um, no!" I said nervously, "It's nothing stupid like that." And then I would go back to the drawing board on what I wanted.

By the time I was 28, I finally made up my mind, and I knew that I had to just get it over with and not tell people what I wanted, or else I was never going to get it done. While I was out of town on a trip to Seattle, I had it done and surprised my husband with it when I returned to Chicago. I'm not telling you what I got because that's not the point of this thread. All that matters was that I decided on something that was 100% me, and then I went out and did it, and I didn't let anybody tell me that they didn't like my idea or talk me out of it. And I freaking LOVE my tattoo.

I think that naming your baby is a lot like getting a tattoo. It lasts for a lifetime and once you've done it, it's hard if not impossible to take it back. People have very different tastes in names just like they have very different tastes in tattoos, and if you tell people your preferences in advance, you are going to get a lot of negative feedback. So your options are: (1) Don't tell people in advance; let them find out when they get the birth announcement and the deed is done, or (2) Prepare to not be discouraged by the negative feedback.

Some names are ridiculously common. In America, Jacob, Sophia, Mason, and Isabella are the current "f***-me roses" of the baby-names world. But you know what? Some people like those "f***-me" roses. They're popular for a reason. So if the name you love happens to be popular right now, don't let that stop you. All that matters is that (1) YOU love it, and (2) your kid won't be socially stigmatized by it.

Over the holidays, DH's parents asked us about our intended baby names. They were fine with our preferred girl's name, but horrified by our boy's name. Our preferred boy's name is pretty exotic, so I'm sensing that we'll get a lot of that. Today I was talking with DH, and I said, "You know what? When we get pregnant with #2, let's just not tell people what we're going to name the baby. I love the names we've picked out, I don't need anyone's approval, and I don't want to hear their protests." He agreed that this was a good idea, so that's what we're going to do.

Just my run-on thoughts on names. Happy naming!

Very true! We told people some of our ideas, and were so fed up with comments on basically every single one that when we decided we didn't tell anybody! They all found out when she was born, and if they'd said anything about her name then I would have been maaad!

Very true! We kept our son's name a secret til he was born last time because we didn't want any negative opinions to ruin our feelings about it. I'm so glad we did, and we'll be doing the same thins time - if we ever manage to choose one that we both like! :)

Good post! :)

and this is why I've never gotten a tattoo lol. I can't deal with something so permanent.

As for baby names, we got a LOT of opposition to the name Jason. Everybody hated it. So be it, he's named Jason anyway.

Old thread....but thought that the comparison was pretty good! It is true - its forever.

....and now I'm also dying to know what tattoo you got! :rofl:

Ha, fun to see this dusty old thread again.

I got a Batman symbol. In tramp stamp position. That is my tattoo and I freakin' love it.

I wasn't pregnant when I wrote this thread. I'm 16 weeks pregnant now and going to announce my pregnancy to family and friends on Sunday, and we are going to tell people the names. If they don't like the names, they can stuff it. We're ready for it.

Ooo, that's awesome! The Batman symbol is soooo iconic and strong. :)

I'm such a wimp when it comes to needles, that I just don't see how I could ever get one. But I would love to have little paw prints that form the shape of a heart somewhere "hidden" on my back/butt or even my ankle. My pets are such a huge part of my life that I want to have a reminder of them and carry them forever. Sounds corny when I write it down.... LOL

... I would love to have little paw prints that form the shape of a heart somewhere "hidden" on my back/butt or even my ankle. My pets are such a huge part of my life that I want to have a reminder of them and carry them forever. Sounds corny when I write it down.... LOL

Love this idea :) no tattoos for me either, eek, needles! But my roomie has a couple and one of them is his Boxer dog's paw print-actual print :) I think its awesome.

As for baby names and opinions on them... I'm more concerned with someone I'm close to possibly "stealing" the name, than I am of someone not liking it. If we love it, that is all that matters :winkwink:

mara16jade said:
Ooo, that's awesome! The Batman symbol is soooo iconic and strong.
I know. I can already hear myself roaring at my doctor while I'm in labor, "Batman wouldn't take an epidural and NEITHER WILL I!!!"

I'm more concerned with someone I'm close to possibly "stealing" the name, than I am of someone not liking it. If we love it, that is all that matters :winkwink:
The trick is to have such bizarre taste in baby names that no one would dare steal from you. Like me naming my son Constantine. You think anyone is stealing that, outside of maybe a family of Greek pirates? Not a chance.

Lol!! :roflmao: ha ha ha!! Batman Epidural!!! Greek Pirates!! I needed the laugh, you are too funny!

Back to business lol- If we are fortunate enough to have a boy, our name choice is definitely not very common, but not super out there so that is why I'm concerned. Particularly now that most everyone wants a "unique" name.

Ooo, an actual pawprint tattoo!! Hmmm :)

I don't talk to people I know in real life about baby names I like. LOL I don't want them to steal them. haha

Good comparison. I have one "hidden" tattoo and that's enough for me.

I knew my mom would have a strong opinion on any name we chose.. unfortunately OH blurted our choices out when his mother asked in front of my mom... she HATED one of our favorite names because it was close to a girl that screwed her over half a lifetime ago.. We ended up being kind of pushed into naming LO Abigail because both mothers liked it. Next time I think OH will know to keep his mouth shut, and if he doesn't, Ill change the name to something I like and he wont even know. :haha:

she HATED one of our favorite names because it was close to a girl that screwed her over half a lifetime ago..
This is one of the objections I hate the most. "You can't use that name, I knew someone ages ago who had that name and was a jerk!"

So what? That's your experience and association w/ the name, not mine.

I would never use the name "Carlie" because it was the name of a girl who tried to stab me when I was 10 and she was 12 (for reals). But if someone else loves that name, why should I ruin it for them by mentioning my close encounter with murder to them? Let them love the name.

i have a bright blue tattoo on my wrist of my sons name lol...

guess i combined both decisions lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->