Nappy sewing pattern- a daft question

henny

mum to two beautiful boys
Reaction score
When I look for nappy patterns, a lot say you can't sell the nappies and are only for home use. I may want to sell some (when I actually get round to making some :lol:) where do I get patterns from that will allow me to sell the products?

Maybe try making your own pattern? I did and found it surprisingly easy. And I was then able to make one, tweak it where I thought it was going wrong etc.

i think you could get around it by using it and selling them as preloved since you can claim you made them for your LO not for profit

There good ideas :thumbup: thank you :)

I never realised you couldn't sell the nappys that you make

I only saw that when I looked up nappy patterns and some put that you can't use them to sell :shrug: but who would know that you have used their pattern.

If you type "nappy pattern commercial licence" the top results are mostly for nappy patterns that you can sell from. I wouldn't want to use a not-for-profit pattern and sell it, not really because you might get caught but because somebody has spent a long time perfecting the pattern so it doesn't seem right for you to come along and profit from it without giving them a small share. I'm sure I've seen patterns somewhere that you can use freely as long as you give a certain numbers of nappies away to needy people. I can't remember where that was though, sorry.

It's a bit of a grey area- legally, the creator of the pattern just has a copywrite for their pattern and not the finished product that you've created so there is actually nothing stopping you from selling the diapers (even if it's against the pattern creator's wishes), you just can't sell the pattern that you used (there have been plenty of threads on the topic on both Ravelry and DS- interesting reading). Like Rachel said, the ethics involved are a different story though... Sometimes a pattern will have a cottage license available for purchase and that would allow you to sell the finished product without stepping on anyones toes ;)

Don't forget if you do decide to sell the nappies you have created, you need to factor in the cost of the material and thread and the time it has taken you to make the garment which will help you decide how much you can sell the nappies for

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->