Natural approach to a repeat c-section?

jenmcn1

Expecting baby #4:)
Reaction score
My 2nd baby was born via vertical C-section. In Canada, because of the type of C-section I had, I will NOT be allowed to attempt a VBAC due to the higher risk of uterine rupture. So here's my question. As I am trying to do everything as natural as possible, with my 3rd baby (when that happens;)) I would like my prenatal appointments and care be done by a midwife if possible. As well as my postnatal care. Do midwives provide that even if the outcome is a c-section? I hate that I have no option in this situation. Very defeating and the thought of having to recover from another C-section with 2 kids, and a newborn gives me chills. lol! Any thoughts or references I would appreciate:) thank you kindly!

I don't know anything about midwifery care in Canada, but I know that here you often have shared care between an OB and a midwife if you are high risk (otherwise you'd just have a midwife only). I'd maybe inquire if they do these sorts of things within the Canadian health care system.

Also, have you checked out the Birth Without Fear blog? She has had several c-sections I think and does a lot to promote positive, family-oriented, natural birthing no matter how baby arrives. I know when I was planning my birth I found she had a lot of good resources on planning a more natural c-section - info on things like delayed clamping for c-sections, immediate skin-to-skin, slow birthing of the baby through the incision, etc.

Here's her site: https://birthwithoutfearblog.com/category/bwf-topics/cesarean-birth-2/

Not sure where I was looking exactly, but have a hunt around.

I don't know where you are in Canada, but here in BC you can see a midwife even if the inevitable outcome will be a c-section. There are also things you can plan to make the whole thing as family-centred as possible (i.e. immediate skin-to-skin while they're stitching you up, rooming in, your DH being there the whole time). Sometimes the midwife can even be in the OR with you giving you support. :)

Check out this link for a family-centred c-section birth plan: https://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2012/09/18/a-family-centered-cesarean-birth-plan/

I don't know where you are in Canada, but here in BC you can see a midwife even if the inevitable outcome will be a c-section. There are also things you can plan to make the whole thing as family-centred as possible (i.e. immediate skin-to-skin while they're stitching you up, rooming in, your DH being there the whole time). Sometimes the midwife can even be in the OR with you giving you support. :)

Check out this link for a family-centred c-section birth plan: https://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2012/09/18/a-family-centered-cesarean-birth-plan/

Thank you SO much for responding! I'm also in BC and had no clue that I could still see a midwife!!! I'm SO excited to know this! I will definatly be looking into this...thank you again:)

Not a problem! I've also learned some more about this topic recently (I'm planning to become a midwife in the future). Here's a document that shows the scope of practice for BC midwives: https://www.pomegranate-midwives.com/handouts/CMBC Scope.pdf

Essentially, if you've had one c-section in the past, you can see a midwife all the way through with no consultations with an OB if there are no other complications or risk factors. I've also learned that if you remain in the care of midwives throughout your pregnancy, then the midwife will not only support you prenatally, but will even 'catch' the baby in the OR since your baby is technically her patient. She will also provide post-natal care if there are no other complications. :)

Midwives here are really booked up, though, so I would recommend seeing one as soon as you get your BFP. ;) Best of luck to you!

Not a problem! I've also learned some more about this topic recently (I'm planning to become a midwife in the future). Here's a document that shows the scope of practice for BC midwives: https://www.pomegranate-midwives.com/handouts/CMBC Scope.pdf

Essentially, if you've had one c-section in the past, you can see a midwife all the way through with no consultations with an OB if there are no other complications or risk factors. I've also learned that if you remain in the care of midwives throughout your pregnancy, then the midwife will not only support you prenatally, but will even 'catch' the baby in the OR since your baby is technically her patient. She will also provide post-natal care if there are no other complications. :)

Midwives here are really booked up, though, so I would recommend seeing one as soon as you get your BFP. ;) Best of luck to you!

Thank you so so much! This gives me such peace! During the labor process with my daughter, I said to my husband that next baby I would 100% go with a midwife! and then felt my hopes for that fall through the cracks once I had my C-section. I'm not sure how it would work, with scheduling my C-section if I'm with a midwife though? hmmm...will definitely be looking into it

Thank you so so much! This gives me such peace! During the labor process with my daughter, I said to my husband that next baby I would 100% go with a midwife! and then felt my hopes for that fall through the cracks once I had my C-section. I'm not sure how it would work, with scheduling my C-section if I'm with a midwife though? hmmm...will definitely be looking into it

Midwives have hospital privileges with at least one local hospital, which means they can admit and discharge their clients, access hospital resources, consult with other medical professionals on site, order lab work, etc. You would register at a particular hospital through your midwives and they would either be able to schedule a c-section or alert the hospital to prepare for your arrival once you go into labour (there are advantages to waiting to go into labour naturally before having a c-section, but of course your midwives will discuss this with you based on your circumstance, which may or may not allow for it). :)

Midwives have hospital privileges with at least one local hospital, which means they can admit and discharge their clients, access hospital resources, consult with other medical professionals on site, order lab work, etc. You would register at a particular hospital through your midwives and they would either be able to schedule a c-section or alert the hospital to prepare for your arrival once you go into labour (there are advantages to waiting to go into labour naturally before having a c-section, but of course your midwives will discuss this with you based on your circumstance, which may or may not allow for it). :)
wow - thank you so much! I feel so much better hearing this information. I agree it would be much better to go into labour naturally and then have a C-section. Once I'm expecting again, I will book an apt right away with a mudwife. Thank you again!!! I so appreciate your advice!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->