Natural birth centre vs home birth

emyandpotato

Reaction score
What are the benefits and hindrances of having a natural birth in a birthing centre over a home birth do you think?

Pros - possibly more options for pain relief (we don't get g&a at home here.) No mess at home (generally there isn't much mess at all, but could be a big thing for some people.)

Cons - having to move from home to the birth centre and It's just not home.

Pros - more equipment that might be useful if things don't go as planned, including pain meds, if desires

Cons - nothing! I can't wait to have a home birth this time around. I felt the trip from home to center really disrupted my labor experience, it slowed my labor down, and it was SO annoying to deal with people and procedure at 9.5 cm!

Most home birth teams do a complete clean up and you have no mess at home! I think that if this is your first time wanting a natural birth, a birth center might be ideal???? If you have had a natural childbirth, maybe you feel more comfortable with home birth.

Pros- more acceptable to people if you happen to mention it (but who cares about them anyway)

-If you have an OH who is not convinced on homebirth, they may feel more comfortable with a birth centre

-Is a lot more centred around women and natural birth than hospitals

-water birth tubs in most centres are amazing

Cons- transfer rates are so much higher than homebirth

-you have to travel during labour

-limited to a lot more policy than homebirth (well not really limited but you may feel pressure)

-It isn't your home

That's pretty much all I can think of.

...I've been told by a number of people now (Including MW's) that there is nothing that can be done at a birth centre that cannot be done at home.

Pools - you can have one at home and it wont ever be busy
GnA available at home in the UK
Pethadine - available at home by prescription
Resuscitation - same at home as BC MW's are well trained and have oxygen
What-if's - cord around neck/breech/stuck shoulders etc all the techniques/maneuvers a MW would use in the Bc are exactly the same at home.
Tears/episiotomies - same as BC, MW can cut & stitch at home if necessary

...BC are a a lot more relaxed than hospitals and you have a lot more freedom but not as much as home, eat/drink, walk around nekkid, watch TV, clean tidy what ever it's all in your won home so easier and more relaxed than a BC.

BUT if you feel more comfortable being in someone elses hands as it were without having to worry about the noise/mess (of which I have been told numerous times and seen many vids there isnt much and MW takes it all away) than a BC is brill.

Also you dont get all the ahslle of visiting hours in BC's (well mine didnt anyway) partners could stay over night if they wanted they even had a double bed!

In the UK MWs will generally tell you they can do pretty much everything at home that the can do in a BC. I've had 3 kids in 3 settings: hospital, BC and home. Believe it or not, on reflection my BC birth was the most empowering and was the catalyst for my home birth and me becoming a doula. my home birth was empowering in a different way. The comfort of not going anywhere, the way it was even more relaxed than my BC birth and the feeling after that I'd been the one in control. The one 'doing it' and doing it on my terms was just like adding the cherry on the cake. What's crucial IMHO is that the setting you give birth in is the most comforting and relaxing for YOU. For me now that's home but if you think a BC setting would give you something in terms of confidence that home might not then that's the place to be or I imagine that's when the likelihood of transfer rises.

I'm doing a birth-center delivery because hubby isn't too keen on a HB for baby #1 (and he's in this with me, 100%), because as a 1st time mama I want to find out what my body can actually do before committing to a HB (likely for #2), and also because I love love love the BC in our state; it's a very wonderful supportive place. I refuse to deliver in a hospital setting, barring any serious, true complications (many of which are prevented by not stepping foot in the hospital in the first place, and also taking care to have a very healthy pregnancy via diet, exercise, and supplements).

PROS - Close to the hospital; if you are at all concerned about something going wrong and/or have any fears as such, the BC will put your mind at ease.

If you have the 'an epidural is always an option' mindset even just as an inkling in the back of your mind, then the BC is probably a better choice for you. Having a home birth means that you are both mentally and physically prepared, and while the same can and should be said of a BC birth, there is a much easier 'out' with the BC than with a HB.

With a HB, you're likely to receive more flack from family and friends about your decision. Just as you need to be strong emotionally and physically to birth naturally, you need to be mature enough to stand up to naysayers.

You won't have to have a pool taking up residence in your living room for several weeks :haha:

Unlike a hospital birth, a BC will allow you to labor at home for much longer before coming in to deliver

CONS - You have to drive to the BC while you are in active labor

You still have to drive home after the birth, many times within 4-6 hours of delivery; with a HB, you're already there.

If you get transferred to the hospital for any reason, it's unlikely that your midwife can stay with you; the opposite may be true for a homebirth situation.

Here's my view. I may be biassed though as I have only had a hb.

Birth centre pros:

Generally closer to hospital for quicker transfer if something goes wrong

Less tidying up to do. I know most people say this is not an issue but our house looked a complete state as I had been labouring at home for several days and then fainted after the birth resulting in quite a lot of blood outside the pool including over the walls and sofa (which had been covered in plastic). We had an amazing midwife who stayed with us from 7am to 11pm way longer than her shift and it would have been a bit much to expect her to tidy up too.

Birth centre cons:

In my area at least statistically something more likely to go wrong at bc than at home

bc often closed (in my area) due to staffing issues meaning transfer to hospital is required

no guarantee pool will be free for a water birth

no one-to-one care from a mw. In my area the ratio is 1:5 at the bc.

issues often when to time going to bc. Risk of being sent home if too early and journey and paperwork interrupting birth experience

partner can be with you whole time if wanted during the recovery period and not limited to visiting hours

in my area the 'better' more experienced midwives do the hbs

greater control and ability to negotiate the birth you you want

It is just not home. Lack of access to home comforts e.g. wide range of food and drink, pleasant calm surroundings, range of rooms and furniture to labour in for change of scene, roaring fire, ice supply, opportunity to shower in own shower and get into own bed after birth etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->