• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

natural births at hospital! support needed!

Moorebetter

Reaction score
Hello ladies!!
I’m planning right now and reading up on natural births at hospitals. I’m looking for support from you ladies, I haven’t gotten much support other than “you’ll change your mind” or “don’t do it, take the meds!!”
I need some positive stories and support, really anything! Luckily I have a awesome sister who is going to be there with me and is totally for no meds!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::hugs:

I'm in the same position, I freaked out a bit after visiting the hospital were I'm planning to give birth. They are so medicalised in their view of birth and I have a feeling I'm going to have to fight for every little thing I do and don't want. They say they will support a "natural" birth if that's what we want but I'm not sure they even know what a natural birth is. To them things like an IV and an epidural are pretty standard. My OH is very supportive but I'm still a bit worried about it. Would be very interested in knowing what experience others have had and what helped make it work for them.

A natural birth in a hospital is achievable, but you really need to choose a hospital (if possible) where it will be the most likely to occur. One that has 90% epidural rates and 50% c-section rates for example, you're a lot less likely to achieve it.

Have supportive birth partners. Make sure they know and agree with your wishes and will be able to help you keep your focus in labour as well as remind you of the reasons you want a natural birth. Have them tell every medical professional who walks in the room that they are not to offer you drugs as its easier to have and win that internal battle with yourself over whether or not o ask for drugs than it is to turn them down when offered and you're in pain. On that note, hubby and I had an established code word for if I felt I really did need something. The midwives were made aware of that. It gave me the option of being able to scream for something if it helped me cope but know I wouldn't actually be given anything. It probably isn't for everyone but it worked for us. And I never felt the need to ask for anything.

I had a really positive natural birth. But my hospital is very pro natural birth anyway.

Thanks, good to know people are doing it. Unfortunately we do not have much choice of hospitals in our area, I think the one we have chosen has a high rate of interventions but we haven't found a better alternative. I'm not too worried about refusing drugs because I feel like I am determined enough on that one (As well as not wanting them I have serious reservations about side effects because I've had problems with anesthetic in the past). but things like refusing the IV and being allowed alternative birthing positions and asking for more time to do things naturally before they intervene when things get a bit slow is going to be harder.

All I can say is good luck! Births and "natural" rarely go in the same sentence is hospitals anymore. My SIL went in wanting a completely natural birth, talked to the doctors about it beforehand, she was told by others to be very firm with doctors and nurses when they wanted her to do this, that, etc. When one of the nurses confirmed if she would want an epidural and SIL said no, the nurse responded, "Oh, we can change that!" Unfortunately she ended up getting induced, getting an epidural AND an episiotomy (which they didn't even tell her they were doing, nor did they ask). Afterwards she felt very bad about the birth not going the way it was planned.

I'm not trying to scare you, but I would look into other alternatives if you are REALLY wanting a natural birth. For example, real birthing centers (not "birthing centers" in hospitals) really focus on natural birth. Most don't even have epidurals available to give. Also I would consider a homebirth as well. I want a natural birth, epidurals and IVs don't even register in my mind as an option, and I considered hospital birth, but I (and my DH!) feared that the entire time I would be like, yelling at doctors and nurses about what I do, and don't want lol. And oh lawd, suing their butts for cutting my vajayjay open without even asking me, I mean what is that??

Anyway, good luck!!

I'm in the same boat. I'm going for a natural birth, but doing it in the hospital. I'm seeing nurse midwifes though, and they seem really supportive of the natural birth option, and the birthing suites have jetted tubs, birthing balls, and have a nice outdoor area you can go walk around, etc. I'm really nervous about having interventions pushed on me for the well being of the baby, because if they tell me the baby is struggling, I'm likely to cave. I'm doing my best to educated myself on what actually constitutes the baby struggling. For example..being in labor a long time does not mean baby is struggling, or more likely to. If they try to induce me or give me drugs because they feel they need to speed things up, I'll refuse. Also, they do put an IV port in, but just in case of emergency. They won't have me hooked up to anythign, so I'm okay with this. DH is totally on board with it, and is really supportive telling me he knows I can do it.

My midwife said to stay home as long as possible if you really want to try for a natural birth. Since I live only 10 minutes from the hospital, I plan on staying home until I feel like I'm getting close. Hopefully all will go well, and without drugs or interventions!

I did it! you can do it too. If you dont have a ton of options for care providers, still attempt to pick someone with the lowest c-section, induction, augmentation, intervention rates. Also, the hospital is important too. I realize though, that in America sometimes you just dont have options. So, the next BEST thing you can do is get educated about interventions and NORMAL birth. I find the women who have the toughest time are the ones that leave everything up to the care provider and do none of the research before hand. I strongly suggest an out of hospital birthing classes, like Bradley method, for example. I say out of hospital bc many hospitals in the US offer birthing classes but basically they just teach you have to be a good patient. (not always but its pretty standard).

another thing is, you have patient rights! A lot of women say things like "they wont let me go overdue" or "my doctor makes you have an IV line" or "im not allowed to birth in a position other than on my back" etc. I feel sorry for any human that thinks they HAVE to take the "advice" of the doctor/MW. There is NOTHING legal about forcing you to get something done that you dont want. And i some are really good at pressuring you into something thus making you feel like you have to get x intervention and some really have the "baby is in distress" down pat too. (im not saying intervention isn't ever needed or that some babies truly are not in distress, im just saying they are the cards that get played often to speed up labor). So this is where your knowledge and learning comes in hand. There is a time and place for every intervention. it can be a godsend! But if you dont take the time to learn it ahead of time and simply "trust your provider"...well thats when you get into doing things that could have otherwise been unecessary. Its a harsh reality in american births :(

Here is my hospital birth story. intervention free, but i had to fight for that birth. and the reason why i was able to do so is because i was equipped the with knowledge to. You know what they say, knowledge is power!
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/b...-arrival-posterior-style-bradley-way-3-a.html

I had a natural birth at a hospital. I'm in Canada though and interventions are common but not as common as they are in the US. The hospital I gave birth in has a 40% natural birth rate.

I used a midwife who was great support. I was also not super anti-epi; I had an open mind about but I wanted to try as hard as I could go without. And by try as hard I meant really endure the pain and not get one as soon as things got rough. I thought labour was manageable in the end. It was painful but honestly it all depends on how you look at it. I was thinking that women all over do this everyday, my mom, grandma,...all did it without pain relief and so can I.

Good luck!

There are no birthing centers in our area and I would like a home birth but we have yet to find a MW who will attend, still hoping we might but a natural birth at the hospital might be the best I can do.

There was another thread recently about when to know if an intervention is really needed and it said to ask if it was possible to think it over for 10 mins first, if they say that's okay then it's not that much of an emergency and chances are waiting for another hour won't put the baby in distress. Thought that was a good trick.

I'm in the same position, but I have a supportive Dr and the hospital (even though it has a 90% epic rate) is going more toward natural birthing lately. The rooms are large with tubs and showers with multiple jets and birthing balls. Also the baby doesn't leave your room for anything (unless something goes wrong of course). My dh and mom will be there and will both know what I want done and not done - if I cannot speak for myself I have them to do it for me. I am planning using Natal hypnotherapy so it's going to be very different from a "normal " birth there. The hospital does encourage mothers to complete a birth plan which includes many "natural" options.

If you truly want are serious about this, i highly would suggest a doula. It is WELL worth it. Obviously wonderful support to help get you through but moreso, i think in hospital births, when you dont want unnecessary interventions, she is a source of information and an advocate for you.

I know lots of people recommend a doula and I can see how it could be invaluable for some but personally I don't think it's for me, the last thing I want is another person there.

Having tried a natural hospital birth (and having a natural home birth to compare), I would agree with a doula. I would never attempt a hospital natural birth without one. It is HARD to have a natural birth in a hospital when instant relief (ie. epidural) is only a few moments away. Support is critical.

Even in my natural birth friendly hospital I'm not going through a second one without a doula. I had an amazing midwife with DD but I know our hospital has some more medically minded midwives as well and I won't have any guarantee of getting a pro-natural one again so my doula is there for my peace of mind.

She doesn't have to be *right there* either. They're happy to stand against the wall and "be invisible" unless/until you need them so you don't have to feel like there are too many people present.

I'm hoping for a natural birth in hospital in the UK. Things are moving towards a more natural approach to birthing here but the health service is so stretched that I might still need to fight for things like leaving the cord to pulse etc. - time is money for them.

Anyway, I was freaking out over this as I wanted to go to a birthing centre but the closest is 1hr drive on a good day and DH just bluntly said "no way". I hat a strop at first but thinking about it I know he's right - the drive could be hell, no-one knows what state we'd be in after the birth etc. So I have "settled" for the local hospital which is only 10mins away. I chatted to DH about getting a doula but we agreed that it would be one person too many in the room so I am now working on educating myself and DH on our choices. We have also started our birth plan. A friend recommended to put things as clearly as possible on your birth plan (e.g., I do not want an epidural. rather than I would rather not have an epidural.) because that way the team know how you feel. If they really think you're struggling they will ask you and you ALWAYS have the option to change your mind - you are in no way bound to a birth plan but it helps the team understand what you want.

We're also going to non-hospital birth prep classes where the motto is "how to have a home birth in hospital" - I am really hyped about those.

I am still worried, though, about being pressured into things I don't want when I'm not in a clear-thinking state of mind...

Im in the same boat, my hopsital has a natural child birth class and I have talked to nurses that work in the labor ward and say they are open to everything!

Makes me happy but im still going to go in thinking they are "all meds"

My sister is going with me to the class. God forbid my DH gives in my sister is tough! lol

Ive been reading some great books that are really encouraging me!

Have you read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth? It's fantastic.

hahaha I have a copy! gotta get to it Ive only heard great things!

hi I'm following this thread as I'm preparing for a natural birth in a hospital setting. I don't have the option of homebirth or a birthing centre and we only have one hospital to chose from. I've hired a doula and taken a hypnobirthing course.
I recently found out that our hospital doesn't allow you to eat or drink in labour :cry: But am really hoping to make the best of it (and maybe sneak some food and drink if I'm there a while) :haha: I plan to delay going in to the hospital for as long as possible.

I have to say I found Ina May's guide to have made me a bit more anxious about my hospital birth being someone who has little to no choices available for health care providers. It helped educate me on some of the routine practices in the hospitals and had some lovely birth stories, but it's very pro-midwife and if you don't have that option sometimes can leave you feeling you'll have a bad experience in the hospital.

There's a book (I haven't read it yet I'm getting it next week) called Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds. My doula highly recommended it.

Babyface, if you read the sticky thread of positive natural birthing stories there is a section of natural hospital births if you haven't already read them.

It sounds like you're doing the best you can in your situation. Researching and knowing what you want and why does make all the difference.

As for hospitals not allowing you to eat or drink, they can say that all they want but they cannot prevent you from consuming anything. So go ahead and pack light snacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->