natural delivery following induction

Bumpontherun

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I've been lurking here off and on since I got pregnant with no.2. I really want a waterbirth 2nd time round and my plan had been to avoid opiates and an epidural and go for gas and air if I need it. (I had diamorphine last time and I really don't want it again).

I'm getting a bit worried though - I'm now 3 days overdue with no signs of labour. My husband and I are both doctors and I've spent a lot of today trawling through the NICE guidlines on induction of labour - I know there are ladies on here who don't agree with it but to me the argument for induction between 41+3 - 42 looks pretty convincing:cry:

Just wondering if any ladies here have managed a labour without epidural following induction? I don't work in obstetrics and all my friends who have been induced have had epidurals and most ended up with sections.

i was induced twice for PE preeclampsia at 35 weeks and 38 weeks. I didn't have pitocin or anything IV but I had prostin gels and I didn't have any pain relief. I think the PE helped the labours along as the first was 2.75hrs and the second 1.5hrs. Looks like I will be induced again and I am hoping for a quick labour.

i was induced with potocin with imogen as i wasnt progressing quickly enough for them after my waters breaking! i did end up with an epidural! the conractions went from having breathing space between them to straight away on top of each other and really intense. i was 3cm before it and after 3 hours of agony on just g&a i though i must be 6-7 cm now and though i was doing really well! i was 4cm! i cried it was that disheartening and i opted for epidural not long after!
im sure there are arguments for and against induction. but im personally gonna tell them to get lost unless it is 100% absoloutly necessary, as i experienced with pitocin, it can cause featal distress and has high rates for ending in forceps (which i now have the pleasure of experiencing!), vontous, c sections.
id say go with your gut instinct, if you want to wait it out they can do scans and test to make sure everything is still going well in there.

i had a gel pessary induction and nearly got my waterbirth still they were filling the pool when i delivered lol natural labour no pain relief other than baths/showers and my TENS (when not in water) i was in hospital of course but asked to be left to it and for them to monitor me intermitantly i had 2 sessions of being strapped to the monitor and they thankfully due to my spd let me lay on my side for that

God the gel sounds so much nicer lol! If I HAD to be induced this time I'd be happy for the gel but I'd be fighting the drip off for all I was worth ha ha! And it was crap been strapped to a monitor as well as a drip! They tell you you can move about but you can't really especially when the drip kicks in! Grrrr. X

Thanks ladies, it's good to hear it is possible. I actually had the drip for the last couple of hours last time. I got to 10cm myself but then my contractions pretty much stopped and I had no urge to push. I coped without epidural but I think that's because I was pushing so was focusing on that and I'd had 3 days to get used to the increas in pain!

Me. Twice. Once in a birth centre and once at home :D

Me. Twice. Once in a birth centre and once at home :D

Oh wow, you can labour at home after an induction? I really want a home birth, but now that I'm overdue the midwives are talking about inductions etc I'd really like to avoid that as I don't want to be in a hospital!

My god your only 2 day over and there already discussing that ha ha!! If you want your hb just keep refusing, they will do the necessary tests if baby doesn't arrive soon to make sure s/he is ok. X

My god your only 2 day over and there already discussing that ha ha!! If you want your hb just keep refusing, they will do the necessary tests if baby doesn't arrive soon to make sure s/he is ok. X

I know, it's crazy! The appointment was on my due date and she's booked me in for sweep despite me saying I didn't want one - she said it was procedure and they had to book me in for it! I'm really dreading it, hope baby comes before Thursday! :(

If you don't want it just don't go! They can't make you it's an invasive procedure and it's you body! God that's really bad booking it anyway when you said no!! Xx

Sorry that will teach me to skim read. :blush: I thought you meant your oreviod birth was an induction and y wanted to know if natural birth was doable after a previous induction :dohh:

Unless there is a medical reason that your baby is better off being born then simply being under guessed (overdue....what does that even mean?! It's ALL guess work!) then you can decline induction. I've done that myself and gone on to have my home birth before 42 weeks and supported other women doing the same. It's called expectant management or wait and see!! I've only had one woman go past 42 weeks....and it was by all of 8 hours before she went into spontaneous labour.

i was induced with my first n i didnt have a epidural, then with baby 2 i went naturaly at 40+4 and had a very fast home water birth x

I was induced twice due to getting to 42 weeks, First ended in an emcs. Second though I delivered myself with only gas and air. I used lavender and rescue remedy also. Not sure if it does anything but you never know. The method of induction used was the pessary. I'm fully expecting to be induced this time also.

Sorry that will teach me to skim read. :blush: I thought you meant your oreviod birth was an induction and y wanted to know if natural birth was doable after a previous induction :dohh:

Unless there is a medical reason that your baby is better off being born then simply being under guessed (overdue....what does that even mean?! It's ALL guess work!) then you can decline induction. I've done that myself and gone on to have my home birth before 42 weeks and supported other women doing the same. It's called expectant management or wait and see!! I've only had one woman go past 42 weeks....and it was by all of 8 hours before she went into spontaneous labour.

Well it was a weirdly worded question!!! It's not really a natural birth if it's induced - I think I should have said a drug free birth. I was so excited thinking you'd laboured at home though - I wondered if they had sent you home with a pessary in.

DH and I were all for refusing induction and going for expectant managment instead but having read that fetal outcomes are better in the induction group vs expectant management I'm not sure I can justify doing that now:shrug: I just keep hoping something will happen soon or that the sweep I've been offered on Wednesday will kickstart things.

Cocoa has anything happened for you yet?:flower:

the whole we are pregnant for 40 weeks thing came from a luna calander years ago and actualy if we went by that correctly we are supposed to be pregnant for a extra 15 days ontop of the 40 weeks.

so ur not actualy overdue till 42 weeks anyway, but i see it as u cant be overdue as baby will come when they are ready. but if ur not comfortable to go over 42 weeks i totaly understand that as it can seem scary when u read all the negatives of what could happen.

i had a radox bubble bath afew hours before i went into labour, it had clary sage in it. i doubt that bought labour on but u never no lol i think it was down to in that bath i totaly relaxed and spoke to my bump about what a easy labour i wanted hahaha

he was born 7 hours later with a just under 4 hour labour start to finish at home

https://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1047180/the_lie_of_the_edd_why_your_due_date.html?cat=25

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->