Natural Hospital Birth

You may also want to consider a doula for your hospital birth to help stand up for you when you need it/are unable to mentally deal with any unwanted pressure from staff. My doula who is attending my home birth, has attended 62 hospital births as well, almost all epidural-free (and had 3 hospital births herself). It can be done, but it is harder. Just a thought for extra support?

Most likely I will deliver in 2 weeks since my kids came at 37 and 38 weeks naturally. It may be too late to find a doula. And my last baby I hired a doula but when I was in labor I couldn't even get a hold of her. I left a message for her to call me and she called back the next day after my baby was born. That is probably why I didn't think to hire one this time around. I was really disappointed. But thank you. I know if you have a reliable doula it can be a major help.

Oh I'm so sorry :( How awful that must have been, I don't blame you.

I would look through different exercises, positions, and nutrition of such methods like the bradley method even if you are going to go to a hospital. I went into my OB and was talking about wanting to do the Bradley Method since I didn't want pain meds and he said that from his 30+ yrs exp. it was the best.

I would look into some blogs like allternativeliving's blogspot- there are posts even from today about bradley method. I saw this on the WTE discussion boards earlier today.

Just popping in to say the internal monitoring is just as restrictive as the external one as you still need to have the internal one attached to the external one. Unless there is a problem with babys heart rate i could decline constant monitoring, there has been no proof that it gives better outcomes in a baby thats not in distress.

I met with a doula yesterday as I have been looking to hire one. I am planning a natural birth but I will have to go to the hospital.

In speaking with the doula, she told me that you can REFUSE ANYTHING they say. You can say "I do not consent to this" and they cannot do anything to you.

She told me you can say something like "I understand the risks of this, but I do not consent" and they can't make you do anything.

She said in some situations they might make you sign a waiver indicating that you are not consenting, but no one can force you to do anything.

Good luck! Be strong!

Hi

I am in Australia and understand in the US it may be different.

I had two drug free births including no gas. Both births were at the hospital labour ward where they have showers, baths, birthing stools, yoga balls as aids.

To prepare I did a birth class called Calmbirth which was fantastic. It's basically a hypnobirthing technique - we were given tools on how to manage each stage of labour - tools such as breathing, visualisation, positioning etc.

For my births I did a lot of my labouring in the shower and bath - water helped with pain relief. My second birth was in a bath which was fantastic.

Try and have gravity work with you. I've seen the US version of One Born Every Minute and don't understand why the ladies are on their backs in stirrups.

All the best with getting the birth you want. I was so very lucky with mine two and loved welcoming my babies into the world in such a beautiful and in control way.

:)

I met with a doula yesterday as I have been looking to hire one. I am planning a natural birth but I will have to go to the hospital.

In speaking with the doula, she told me that you can REFUSE ANYTHING they say. You can say "I do not consent to this" and they cannot do anything to you.

She told me you can say something like "I understand the risks of this, but I do not consent" and they can't make you do anything.

She said in some situations they might make you sign a waiver indicating that you are not consenting, but no one can force you to do anything.

Good luck! Be strong!

Thank you. That is a much better way to word it. I was just going to say I don't want that. :haha:

Hi

I am in Australia and understand in the US it may be different.

I had two drug free births including no gas. Both births were at the hospital labour ward where they have showers, baths, birthing stools, yoga balls as aids.

To prepare I did a birth class called Calmbirth which was fantastic. It's basically a hypnobirthing technique - we were given tools on how to manage each stage of labour - tools such as breathing, visualisation, positioning etc.

For my births I did a lot of my labouring in the shower and bath - water helped with pain relief. My second birth was in a bath which was fantastic.

Try and have gravity work with you. I've seen the US version of One Born Every Minute and don't understand why the ladies are on their backs in stirrups.

All the best with getting the birth you want. I was so very lucky with mine two and loved welcoming my babies into the world in such a beautiful and in control way.

:)

At my hospital they have a birthing bed. Basically you are sitting up with you feet supported with stirrups and the doc in between. It is better than on you back with legs up. I also hope to shower alot. I have had 2 completely natural births, so my doc should trust that I know my own body.

hey I'm in Canada and planing a natural hospital birth. This is my first so I don't have any prior experience. I just know the drug free approach will be better for me and my baby.

Stirrups are not allowed in the hospitals in my city (Ottawa) and the hospitals are so closely monitored that C-sections have dropped quite a bit the last 5 years. You are also encouraged to move around during labour and not lie down. Forceps are used very rarely as well so I'm guessing it's different here from the US.

I personally will have a TENS machine with me at labour (my midwifery practice lends me one for free) but they really aren't hard or expensive to rent. And I hear they do a great job with the earlier contractions. I will be using the Jacuzzi tub and the shower in the labour room (luckily all my hospital labour rooms have them) for later part of labour. They also have birthing balls and bars. TBH I haven't really practiced any breathing technics coz I think I'll just forget them :D I'm relying on a positive attitude toward birth, my husband and midwives support and the natural pain management tools (TENS machine, water).

Hope it all goes well for you. I'm due in about two weeks so I'll let u know how it all goes :)

I've had 2 births in medical settings and not had anything stronger than Gas and Air (Entonox) both times. If you are clear to your midwives then they have to abide by your wishes.

hey I'm in Canada and planing a natural hospital birth. This is my first so I don't have any prior experience. I just know the drug free approach will be better for me and my baby.

Stirrups are not allowed in the hospitals in my city (Ottawa) and the hospitals are so closely monitored that C-sections have dropped quite a bit the last 5 years. You are also encouraged to move around during labour and not lie down. Forceps are used very rarely as well so I'm guessing it's different here from the US.

I personally will have a TENS machine with me at labour (my midwifery practice lends me one for free) but they really aren't hard or expensive to rent. And I hear they do a great job with the earlier contractions. I will be using the Jacuzzi tub and the shower in the labour room (luckily all my hospital labour rooms have them) for later part of labour. They also have birthing balls and bars. TBH I haven't really practiced any breathing technics coz I think I'll just forget them :D I'm relying on a positive attitude toward birth, my husband and midwives support and the natural pain management tools (TENS machine, water).

Hope it all goes well for you. I'm due in about two weeks so I'll let u know how it all goes :)

Yes, it's really different in Canada than the US. That's probably why our c-section rates are so high. Good luck to you. Can't wait to hear how everything goes.

I've had 2 births in medical settings and not had anything stronger than Gas and Air (Entonox) both times. If you are clear to your midwives then they have to abide by your wishes.

Thank you. US doctors are a little more strict, but as you said they have to listen to my wishes as long as no one is at risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->