NawlinsMama (Positive Induction) Birth Story

NawlinsMama

Mummy to 1, due Nov 27
Reaction score
Morning ladies!

Sorry for the delay in posting this, but we have family visiting for the holiday, as have been very busy! That has nothing to do with LO, though - she's an absolute star! So, the birth story:

On Tuesday, November 15, we were instructed to come in at 8 on the morning of the 18th to be induced because my blood pressure was high. The morning of, we arrived, sorted registration, and I was on the pitocin drip by 9 a.m. At 2 p.m, the doctor came by to recommend breaking my waters, as we were up to 18 ml units of pitocin and I still wasn't feeling contractions. I originally asked for this not to be done, but as things progressed so quickly with DD#1 after my waters broke, I figured it was worth a shot. So at 2:30, she ruptured my waters. It was painless, even though I was only 2cm.
For the next few hours, DH and I watched TV, talked with friends/family on Skype, and I snuck bites of DH's lunch (they didn't allow anything but ice during labor, and i hadn't eaten since 7 a.m. :growlmad:).

Finally, I started feeling mild contractions at about 6 p.m. They were less uncomfortable than period pains, so I pretty much ignored them. Then, at about 9 p.m., they stared to get uncomfortable. I sent DD home with my mom, and DH and I watched some more TV to keep my mind off of them. At about 10 p.m., they started to get worse, mostly in my back. My OB wouldn't check me until I felt the need to push, since my waters were already gone, but advised me to bounce on my ball. She was pretty certain that LO was laying crooked, and that her head was against my back, which was causing all of the back labor.
After bouncing for about an hour, the contractions moved around to my abdomen, and were VERY intense. Thankfully, the nurse didn't offer me any drugs - she was amazing. She stayed in the room for the last 30 minutes, instructing me to relax and breathe. DH was amazing as well - he rubbed my lower back through the contractions, which helped tremendously.
I was feeling tons of pressure in my bum by this point, so asked to be checked. I was at 8 cm, so they started setting up stuff in the room to prepare for the birth.
At 11:30 p.m., I felt the urge to push, so I got back to the bed and the OB came in to check me. I was 10 cm, and she could already feel LO's head! Then, two huge pushes, and my little girl was here at 11:41 p.m.! They handed her to me for cuddles while I delivered the placenta and the OB checked for tears (had none! :happydance:). She was 19.75 inches and 7lbs, 9oz after peeing all over Mommy during cuddle time! She latched immediately, and has been breastfeeding like a champ ever since.

**The biggest tip I can give is to relax through contractions. It's the hardest thing you'll ever do, but if you can go completely limp during the bad ones at the end, you'll progress to 10cm much faster. Any grunting or squirming takes energy away from where it needs to be focused - your body knows exactly what to do, even if it needs a push along like mine did!

**Also, don't get discouraged if you don't have any milk immediately after the birth. Mine has just come in, and we supplemented with formula up until now because she was having some issues with jaundice. Stick with it! As long as you alternate formula and breast, LO will still be fab at BFing!

Pictures of my gorgeous girl, Claire Jamie, below. :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Attachments

• DSCF1972.jpg
    DSCF1972.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF1994.jpg
    DSCF1994.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF1997.jpg
    DSCF1997.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 7
Awe yay congrats! Just in time for Thanksgiving! She is an absolute doll and you did amazing mama!!

great induction story congratulations xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->