Need Advice on Sick Leave Before Mat Leave (Canada)

Orglethorp

Reaction score
(Editing to summarize. Think I'm being ignored for TL;DR reasons.)

I'm a stock picker at Walmart, which I physically and mentally can't do anymore, and we're facing a restructure in July that will dissolve our current department system anyway.

Work environment has become extremely toxic. Lots of fighting about new positions, who kissed whos butt to get their positions, etc.

My appointments are NOT being accommodated despite 4+ weeks notice for each one.

Someone rage quit this weekend over the new position they're assigned to. This leaves myself and 1 man as full timers currently assigned to day shift stock picking. Too much pressure.

Normal pregnancy pains are being compounded by loosening pelvic area. My sacrum has a mind of its own these days. I've had 3 separate days of barely being able to move because of the pain.

I'm so exhausted all the time that I'm taking extra bathroom breaks just to get sit-down time, and then fighting the uge to fall asleep while I'm sitting there.

I'm experiencing major anxiety issues. (An ongoing problem for me from PTSD, but first trimester was so good, and the change is sudden.) Panic attacks 3+ times a week. Getting overwhelmed with everything.

Caught a cold at the end of April and can't shake it.

Restricted hours / modified duties isn't really an ideal option for me, because vehicle sharing with my fiance means I'm in town (20 minutes drive from home, left with no vehicle) from 6:30am until we're both off anyway. If I give up full time shifts in the back room, I'll have 4-5 hour shifts on the floor, which are mostly closing shifts. I wouldn't be home until 11pm.

Think I can go off on sick leave? Think I should? 20+5 today, due to see my doc on the 7th.

It's hard to find fellow Canadians on here :)
I think it sounds like you could go on sick leave. Theres so many factors for elevated blood pressure and etc that can harm baby. My doctor has told me aswell that i need to keep my blood pressure under control or i'll be at home for the rest of my pregnancy (i worry/get anxiety/stress easily).
I hope your doctor can give you some more insight :)

I am in Ontario!
With my son, I had to be taken off of work at 24 weeks because I was one of the lucky ~1% of people who got mastitis while STILL pregnant! lol
If your doctor will take you off then your work has to let you, going off means you will have to apply for comp though and it is a pretty reduced cheque.
That was fine in my situation as my husband makes more than enough to support us but not everyone is as fortunate in that respect.

I would go talk to my doctor and see what they say, once you know if they'll take you off go from there!

I could be wrong, but I believe we are only entitled to 12 weeks of sick leave. You may be able to re-apply for more, but I'm just going from my memory when I filled out my last maternity leave application. 12 weeks of sick leave would only get you to 32 weeks, then you would have to start your maternity leave which would then have you returning back to work when your LO is 10 months old.

Another thing to consider is that sick leave is the same pay as mat leave, so you'll need to figure out if you can manage on the reduced pay for that length of time. Also whether or not your doctor will write you off work. Best to talk with both Service Canada and your doctor about what your options are.

In the mean time, look into getting an SI belt to support your sacrum. I injured my SI joint shortly after DD was born and it still gives me trouble and the belt helps immensely. I got it at my physiotherapists office. I work 10 hr shifts 4 days a week in a physically active job and I just take it to work with me each day in case my back starts acting up and it has been a god send.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->