Need advice re: bfing preemie and weaning off pump

W8ing4ours

Reaction score
Any moms out there bfing a baby that was a micro preemie? My son came 10 weeks early, I started nursing him twice a day when he was just 3 lbs and still in Nicu. He needs 2-3 bottles of fortified breastmilk (formula added and vitamins) each day as well. We've been home 4 weeks and he is currently eating 50-70 ml every 3 hours. Henstill doesnt nurse that well though, so im still only nursing him 2-3 times a day and the rest is pumped milk. I've been pumping the whole time and I pump 3-4 oz each side every 4 hours. My problem is that I'm wondering when can I stop pumping? I make more milk than he drinks, so if I stop pumping now and let my supply go down to his demand, will it go back up when he starts eating more? I know it's complicated, just thought someone might have some advice that has been through this...

Didn't want to read and run. I'll be in your shoes soon. My LO is just starting to nurse so I'm still pumping every 3 hrs.

Just thought I'd offer you might post this in the preemie section. Also, is at an option to call lactation in the NICU your LO was in?

Your body makes as much as your baby demands. The more you pump, the more milk your body will make.
My first son was a preemie (not micro) and really couldn't get latched onto the breast so I just solely pumped for him. I ended up pumping almost double than what I needed every feed and froze what I didn't use. I ended up only pumping for a couple of months but I had a massive supply in the freezer that kept him going till he was just under 5 months.
Good Luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->