Need some advice/encouragement

LotusFlwr

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I don't post often but find myself in need of advice/encouragement.

My LO is 4 months this week and EBF.

Over the last week or so everything has become sooo difficult with him! He's so fussy, very hard to settle for sleep, wakes 30-40 minutes into naps and wakes often throughout the night.

He is also refusing feeds. For example this morning he nursed and 7:30am and then refused feeds until 2pm. I tried nursing him multiple times, in a dark room with white noise but he just pulled off and cried. He also refused
his bedtime feed today.

My breasts aren't engorged due to the refusal, but now I find myself doubting things - wondering if he's getting enough, wondering if I should give him a bottle, wondering if he's too addicted to his pacifier that he's refusing to nurse.

I've also been down lately and have had some anxiety so wonder if that's affecting my supply?

I don't know what to think or do. Wait it out? Maybe just an off day? He still has plenty of wet and dirty diapers today.

Thanks so much for reading. - any advice would be appreciated.

Is he drooling? Have you considered early teething? From memory I think my DS did the same, even though his teeth still didn't come thru for a few months after that. If the nappies are still good, you are doing fine. It could be a growth spurt, developmental milestone, teething or something else.

If your LO is alert with good output and no temperature or other untoward symptoms (like vomiting or rash etc) then go with it:thumb up:

Your anxiety shouldn't affect your milk directly, however if it affects your diet or fluid intake then that might affect it.

Are you taking any steps to alleviate your anxiety?:flower:

He is drooling quite a bit and very fussy. He has a doc appt tomorrow so I will have doc take a look in his mouth. It looks like the bottom 2 teeth may be moving through the guns but nothing has popped out yet.

As for the anxiety it is situationally related at the moment. My inlaws have been visiting for the last month and MIL is very judgemental and makes some not so nice comments at times. It stresses me out and I cannot wait for them to leave - they leave in a few days finally.

Thanks for your reply. Xx

My DD is coming up to 4 months and we are going through a real fussy period too.
I think at 4 months they make some big developmental leaps which can make them really fussy (google wonder weeks if you haven't heard of them). That's what I am attributing DD's fussiness too, with maybe a bit of teething pain thrown in too!

Things go wonky at four months......it's a crazy time where all the patterns of the past go down the drain. Four months is a common sleep regression and a wonder week as well. I used to be able to bf my son to sleep at around 7:00-7:30pm and lately he's been up until almost 11pm and needs me to actively put him to sleep. Last night he fed almost every two hours....:wacko:

If he's having wet/dirty diapers just know he's doing okay and try to let it go a little bit. If your MIL is being nuts just mentally tell her to sod off. NO ONE knows what to do for your baby best but you. Tell yourself it's normal for them to be in flux and the four month crazies WILL pass. :hugs:

Thank you ladies so much. Your advice has made me feel much better.

Yes, I'd say don't panic. I remember when I was feeding my first LO that we had several occasions when he refused to feed and I started questioning everything - my supply, LO taking enough, should I give formula etc- but having gone through it the best thing to do it to try to stay relaxed and keep going as usual and it'll soon pass. Obviously this advice is only for when it's likely that everything else is fine health wise with your LO.

You're doing great so have faith in yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->