Need some car seat advice please!

N

Neecee

Hi ladies, I have a question.

If you have a car seat that has been used before, is it possible to get them safety checked somewhere like Halfords or something? I know it's recommended to buy them brand new, but if the seat is in perfect condition and has not been in any accidents, is it worth getting it loked at anyway?

Reason I ask is because the travel system we got on ebay came with a car seat and base. When we picked it up last night the previous owner said it had never been involved in any accidents and it was fine to use again and that we might be able to get it safety checked somewhere. From just looking at it, it doesn't even look like it's been used that much and it's in immaculate condition.

Just wanted to get some advice/opinions on this.

Thats the only baby item id recommend u getting new only as even the slightest bump can affect them.U can pick new up fairly cheaply too

That's what I thought. I'm not bothered about it not matching either.

But will I have to take the chassis with me when we get a new one to make sure it will fit?

You do have to be so careful with car seats. One thats been in an accident can look perfect but they do say they need to be replaced. If a friend had given me a car seat then i'd use it because i'd know where it came from. Not sure if you can get them checked anywhere.

I reckon LO's safety is more important than trying to save a bit of money. Besides, we've already saved at least £250 on the pram anyway. I think I'll feel better getting a new one.

yep getting a new one is a good idea, you can't always tell if a carseat has been in an accident as it could be damaged inside xxxx

Nope you can't....we had a bump in the car and were told to destry the car seat by cutting the straps off before taking it to the tip so nobody else used it. I asked if it could be checked for damage as it cost over £100 but the manufacturers etc all said no....buy a new one.

If you're buying it off someone you know then you will obviously get an honest answer if you ask if it's been in a bump but not from someone off e-bay etc....don't take the chance for a "bargain" coz baby's life could potentially be at risk:cry:

I wouldnt risk it. Even if they say its not been in any kind of accident you never know, You cant trust people these days they will do anything for abit of money! Id buy a new one, you can still get the same matching one for your pram im sure. x

I know that car bumpers often contain a special foam that is designed to absorb impact. You can be in an accident - a little fender bender, say - and the bumper looks fine on the outside, but if a garage were to take the thick plastic shell off the bumper, the foam is now compacted and damaged and should be replaced if it's to offer the same impact-resistance/protection as it did before.
I think the same idea applies to car seats.
And it's another one of those items that would cost more to refurbish than it would to just replace it new. Not to mention, they'd practically have to destroy the thing to test the impact resistance!
It's really too bad there wasn't some way to re-use or recycle some of the materials. I can't bear the thought of all those seats ending up in the dump. I wonder if they can be donated to a day care to be used just as a carry seat inside or something?

I wonder if they can be donated to a day care to be used just as a carry seat inside or something?[/QUOTE]

That could be a good idea. I'm wondering what to do with ours as I don't want to dump it somewhere for someone else to pick it up and use it or try to sell it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->