Need tips and insights for a film about natural birth

Zhenya

Reaction score
Dearest mums and mums to be!

My name is Zhenya and I am new to this website and forum, but I am hoping to stick around. I had kids, both delivered naturally (my youngest - a beautiful waterbirth). I was inspired to make a film about happy "connected" pregnancies and the beauty of natural childbirth. It will be a short documentary in which we will be taking Holland as a case study (it is also where I live), where natural childbirth is very common and many women give birth at home. We already have a script draft, but we are looking for ways to make it more meaningful to our potential audience... so here I am, looking for inspiration!:)

I have been reading many of your natural childbirth stories as well as questions, answers and comments, looking for issues of most concern (as well as inspiration) to an expecting or new mother (and her partner). I have picked up quite a few interesting ideas, but I also thought it is perhaps best simply to ask :smile:. I would be super thankful if you could answer all or any of these questions - just brainstorming really, so any ideas are welcome! Thank you so much!

1. If you had a natural childbirth:

a. Did you choose it consciously and why?
b. Looking back - were you happy with your decision (would you do it again?).
c. If you have any regrets about your choice - what were they?
d. If you had any revelations/inspirations/discoveries about yourself, your partner, your relationship etc during your natural childbirth - what were they?
e. What was most important for you during childbirth? (i.e. privacy, support, environment) and why?

2. If you are planning a natural childbirth:
a. Why did you choose it?
b. In the course of your pregnancy - have your attitudes changed towards (been changing) towards childbirth? What are the most important influences?
c. Do you have a birthplan for your natural childbirth? What are the most important points in it? Have you discussed it with your medical practitioner (who will deliver your baby), who did they take it?

3. For all :)
a. If you were to watch a film about natural childbirth (and natural, "connected" pregnancy), what would be interesting for you to see (now that you are pregnant/have had your baby recently)?

Absolutely. I had read and watched other documentary type things on childbirth and felt a natural homebirth would be the only way to go where I would feel at ease.
100% I would do it again in a heartbeat. I had a great labor and felt in control the whole time and was on cloud 9 for a while after. I am trying to convince hubby to do it again! Baby even came early at 36+1.
c. If you have any regrets about your choice - what were they? Nothing to do with the birth but I would take the baby to the pediatrician right away. Not at 1 week old. (Thorrin had very high bilirubin levels by that poor and had to be hospitalized).
d. If you had any revelations/inspirations/discoveries about yourself, your partner, your relationship etc during your natural childbirth - what were they?
I was simply amazed and appreciative for my body and what it could accomplish. I was very proud of myself. I also had a much better body image afterwards even though my belly is still out of shape.
e. What was most important for you during childbirth? (i.e. privacy, support, environment) and why?
It was extremely important for me to have no interventions and I knew I could only accomplish that with a home birth. I also had access to a tub and had a nice water birth too! It was also important to have a peaceful place and calm people. I loved my midwives so much. Even when they were concerned about the early arrival and planning an imminent transfer they never made me feel stressed and reassured me that everything was fine. And everything did go fine! Perfect in fact.

If you haven't already I would view business of being born and ther sequel video. The sequel is awesome because it explains te difference between every type of birth.

Actually I do have to say that one of the first people I had heard of that had a homebirth was my high school advisor and she was living in holland at the time. She described it and it sounded wonderful. Even the stool sounded intriguing lol.

I love watching all things like this. Keep us updated!! Maybe how homebirth is done in other countries and mortality rates and other encouraging data?

Reidfidleir Thank you so much! Some of the things you have mentioned I can very much relate to, and I have also picked up some new ideas: like self-image (psychologically and physically!). Very valuable, thank you. And also great tips. There are a lot of wonderful inspiring films out there, but I haven't seen the business of being born! Will do. Seeing there is a lot out there already we are indeed going to focus on the "Dutch experience" - they have also done some interesting studies on home birth. Will definitely update!

Yes, I chose it for my second birth. I was unhappy with how my first birth went and this led me to look into it and do some reading. What I learned prompted me to make different decisions next time.

YES! ABSOLUTELY!

I didn't look into the third stage of labour very much and this was the area that went badly. I also had no continuity of care - I wish I had had a one-to-one midwife or a doula.

That I was much stronger than I thought I was, I was capable of much more.

Auotonomy. I wanted to be listened to and respected.

3a. If you were to watch a film about natural childbirth (and natural, "connected" pregnancy), what would be interesting for you to see (now that you are pregnant/have had your baby recently)?

I would love to see birth portrayed more positively. I would love to see NORMAL birth... I would love to see the parallels between birth and sex addressed in a way that is accessible to most parents.

I had a natural unmedicated home water birth

yes I am not a fan of hospitals and I think that childbirth is natural thing and therefor should be in a place that is natural and comfortable to me.
my experience was incredible and I would do it again in a heartbeat. one of the best moments of my life.
not one single regret, the experience exceeded all my expectations.
That I am a strong and empowered women and my husband always knows where his place is and whats comfortable for him. I expected a lot of things from my husband during labor and although I didn't get any of them he played the role he needed to and although its not what I wanted in the beginning it was the best way he knew how to support me and I respected that and was happy he was being himself rather than something I wanted him to be. I think it is just as important for the partner to be comfortable in the role they are playing because this will make you more relaxed without the uncomfortable tension in the air.
Having the supportive people there I love. Having all my wishes met by my amazing midwives down to every detail. Being left to do my own thing when needed and having my incredible sister as my birth partner.

3. For all
a. If you were to watch a film about natural childbirth (and natural, "connected" pregnancy), what would be interesting for you to see (now that you are pregnant/have had your baby recently)?

just the raw emotion of what a natural birth is like. the best thing I ever did while pregnant and preparing for my home birth was read ina mays guide to child birth book and the first half of that was ladies stories about there natural births the good and the bad and that's what I would like to see, not dramatized over the top labors like most shows but the natural act of childbirth and how it can be done natural, yes it is very hard work and yes it hurts like hell but we are created to do so and it is a beautiful, emotional and empowering thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->