Needing honest feedback about a girl's name shortlist!

AMM83

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever been so indecisive in my life as I have been about picking a name for our baby girl! She's due in February so we still have a few months, but I'd love to have her name organised sooner rather than later.

So, I need your honest opinions. I'm going to sound very negative and list all the things I DON'T like about these names, purely because this is what's holding me back from making a choice. I obviously love each of these names for different reasons.

So, which is your favourite name?

Ava (I love the sound of this name but am worried about it's popularity)
Ada (this could possibly be a less common alternative to Ava, but is it as beautiful?)
Adeline (lovely, but is it too hard in terms of it's spelling and pronunciation?)
Adele (another beautiful name, but will she get the comment "Oh, like the singer?")
Elsie (pretty, but too cutesy for when she's a woman?)
Grace (like Ava, I love the sounds of this name but am worried about it's popularity)

Help!!! Thanks so much

I voted for Ava, I love it! So beautiful - but I also worry about it being so popular. I'm not a fan of any of the other choices. Grace I prefer as a middle name.

Adaline Grace

What about it is hard to spell? Pronounce? I'm confused lol! Plus you get the added bonus of the NN Ada!! Seems like the obvious win!!

Please don't pick Elsie :/

Work in daycare and we have a little Adeline. No issues with pronunciation or spelling from anyone so far, so if you like it, I wouldn't let that hold you back.

I think from your choices though, my favorite is Grace. I think it is more popular as a middle name versus first name, so I like the idea of itas a first name.

I voted grace. But equally like Ava and Maya (prefer spelling Maia)

Like Elsie.

Don't really like the others sorry x

I hate grace personally dont even know why

not keen on adele or adeline

ava, ada, maya are ok names

elsie is nicest I think

what about Adelaide (Ada for short)... saw that on Facebook yesterday

Adaline Grace

What about it is hard to spell? Pronounce? I'm confused lol! Plus you get the added bonus of the NN Ada!! Seems like the obvious win!!

Please don't pick Elsie :/

The more popular way of spelling it back in the day (from what I can find through researching) is Adeline, not Adaline (which is actually how you have spelled it), so I think the 'a' and 'e' may get confused. Also, when I showed my friend this name the other day, she pronounced it 'Ad-ah-lyn', whereas I prefer the way it's pronounced in the old song 'Sweet Adeline', which is 'Ad-ah-line'. They're my main concerns :( I guess the price you pay for choosing a name that isn't so common is that you get people confusing how they say or spell the name. Whereas even though picking a streamline name eliminates these problems, it still ends up being common. I can't decide which is the better of two evils ;)

Also, I think I may have gone off the name Elsie - I want something more elegant, rather than cute :)

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Work in daycare and we have a little Adeline. No issues with pronunciation or spelling from anyone so far, so if you like it, I wouldn't let that hold you back.

I think from your choices though, my favorite is Grace. I think it is more popular as a middle name versus first name, so I like the idea of itas a first name.

Out of interest, how do you say Adeline? Do you say 'Ad-ah-lyn' or 'Ad-ah-line'?

why do people say 'lyn'?
can then not read?

the 'e' changes it clearly to 'line'

'line' is sometimes pronounced 'lyn' as the 'e' can be silent I.e Madeline can be pronounced both ways and Jacqueline is never pronounced with 'line'...
I vote Adeline too, very classic!

'line' is sometimes pronounced 'lyn' as the 'e' can be silent I.e Madeline can be pronounced both ways and Jacqueline is never pronounced with 'line'...
I vote Adeline too, very classic!

Madeline would be pronounced 'line' - pronouncing it lyn when its line just looks like you have a bad accent as opposed to actual pronunciation

Madalyn is pronounced 'lyn' they're different names imho

Jacqueline is french isnt it? maybe it different in France (they pronounce lots of things weirdly lol) but in the UK its clearly phonetic or you would just write Adelyn

you never see things like Bronwine instead of Bronwyn or Line instead of Lynn do you?
and Caroline in never pronounced Carolynn is it?

It's more to do with the personal preference of the parents rather than accent. I'd presume Adeline was 'Ad-a-line' but can understand if others didn't as Madeline (also French) is often prounounced either way and Jaqueline, Emmeline etc are 'leen' and never 'line' whatever country you are in.
It's all down to each individual name. Caroline may always be line, but Martine is never tine!

I like Adeline best. Yes, you might get some spelling/pronunciation errors but technically I think it could be pronounced either way, although AdelinE the magic E would make the I say it's name. Whereas Adelyn would be more clearly Lynn.

LOVE Ada too, but seems more like a NN than a proper name IMO.

We pronounce it -Line versus -Lyn. However in the case of Madeline, we have a little one with the name spelled just like that, but the parents call her Madelyn.

Awesome, thanks ladies. I also agree that phonetically, you would say "line" rather than "lyn" if the name is spelled Adeline. I also found an old barbershop song from the 1930s called "Sweet Adeline" and they pronounced with the "line" sound as well. This is my preference so I think we'll go with that. :)

Please understand that different countries have varying English languages and that different accents can change the stress put on a vowel.

I voted Adele.

I think that any name can remind someone of someone or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->