Needing support, 4 weeks in :(

whigfield

Reaction score
Okay, I'm technically 4 weeks in tomorrow but close enough!

I'm in need of support. :nope: LO is driving me absolutely insane at the moment. He is constantly on and off the boob and pausing to make griping noises and twisting (thus having to be winded which can take a while before being put back on again), and it just feels like he's fussy practically every feed now. I find myself getting really annoyed as he does this as it ends up stretching a feed out for sometimes over an hour, just for him to get between 15-25 minutes on the boob. He also only seems to want one boob and has no interest in the other.

As a note, he's gaining weight like a champ and midwives/HVs are very happy with him so that's not an issue, and he poops practically 24/7 and has a ton of wet nappies too. So he's definitely getting "enough".

The other problem is just the leaking. As he's pulling on and off milk goes everywhere from that boob as it is, and then as he only takes the one the other boob practically pisses everywhere. I'm using towels and I'm going through 4-5 hand towels a day with the amount of leaking that's going on, and that's WITH me reusing them in a cycle to allow them to dry (though I get new every day and wash them too!).

I tried expressing some today (got 70ml from each breast, is that a sufficient amount? This was about 15 minutes after some 'snacking' from LO) and gave it to him warmed up in a bottle and the difference is so much nicer. He looked into my eyes, there was minimal fussing, and the feeds were so much quicker and more enjoyable. I am sorely tempted to switch to formula.

I do need to return back to work soon as I am self employed and run online businesses that need attention, and I'm just questioning my commitment to breastfeeding right now. :nope: I know that at 6 weeks when breastfeeding gets 'established' it's meant to get better, but at this point I feel either angry or depressed everytime he needs to feed (which is frequently as he never drains a breast at the moment - he's just fussing too much).

Is there anything I can do to help him with this fussing? I am too terrified to breastfeed in public because of it! And the leaking - is there anything I can do about that or does it settle down once 'established'? It's driving me crazy, especially when it soaks through my bra and it's all wet and sticking to me!!

It sounds like your letdown is too strong for him. I would either hand express or pump a little before feeding him and see if that helps. You can also pump one side while he eats on the other.

Sounds like forceful letdown to me too. I wouldn't express for now, I think it will cause more over supply. Try side lying feeding or laid back feeding to help your LO cope.

As for the leaking, it will get better! It sounds to me like your supply is quite high but it will calm down in a week or two which will reduce leaking. Hang in there :)

I agree it sounds like a forceful letdown! Side lying position definitely helps. Also, when your let down occurs, get your LO to break the latch and allow the excess spray to drizzle on a cloth or in a bottle or somewhere. Then allow him to relatch and if he seems to be choking or sputtering, pull him off again and let him catch his breath. Let him pull on and off many times if necessary. It definitely will get better as time goes on! :hugs: For me I had both over active letdown and oversupply and what helped was block feeding...so you may want to look into that if you think your supply is well established.

The advice to try side or lying down positions and maybe block feeding seems good, but I thought I'd add that this fussing is very common in babies who have grown fast. We get in to the habit of holding certain parts of them in certain places (like cupping their bum with the supporting arm) and don't realise that they have got longer and can't get a good feeding/swallowing position. Try going back to basics, ensuring he's nose to nipple before latching and his chin is the first part of his face to contact your breast.

That's funny.. After I read these replies I went and googled oversupply and overactive letdown and little one and I seem to have every symptom except for frequent plugged ducts/mastitis! This is actually a massive relief because I was of the opinion that LO was suffering with some silent reflux, but on reflection this makes much more sense, and he is always VERY gassy as well.

I also watched earlier as he pulled off and noticed the flow, it was STRONG - like a freaking fountain! :shock: No wonder he chokes and struggles with it.

I hope this gets better soon! I'm going to try keeping him to one breast per a 3/4 hour period and see how that goes for a while, and just invest in more hand towels for now so I don't have to race to get them all washed in time to use them again. :haha:

@noon I'm currently using a boppy pillow through most feeds (besides lying down) so that helps with supporting him, and I usually go nose to nipple for most latches as well, but thank you! :flower:

Thanks ladies! :happydance:

Could have written this myself as we have the same issue with DD who is also 4 weeks tomorrow.

Will try all the advice myself

Whigfield I had similar issues bf DD1, I got some breast shells from mothercare - they pop into your bra and mould round your nipple and collect leaking milk. So while I was feeding on one side, it caught the letdown from the other side, which I kept for bottle-feeding. They were amazing, I hated the thought of wasting milk.

Can't believe you're 4 weeks in already! Great to hear little man's gaining weight so we'll x

Best of luck, c1403!

Thanks, ourturnnext! I've just ordered some shells - never heard of these before but omg if this helps with the leaking I'm going to kiss you! :haha:

Block feeding will help, I had this with DD2, it settles down I promise, hang in there it is really frustrating I know but sounds like you are doing an awesome job :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->