Nervous about tomorrow...memories!

katy1310

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
Hello ladies :flower:

I haven't posted in here for ages so probably don't know some of you. My LO was born at 27 weeks in March 2010 after I developed pre-eclampsia.

Anyway....our GP has referred me to a consultant to discuss the risks of any future pregnancy, and the appointment is tomorrow - in the hospital where it all started. (I was supposed to be having Sophie in that hospital but was transferred at 26+5 because they didn't have the facilities for such an early baby).

I have all these awful memories of going to that hospital every day for scans and BP monitoring, blood tests etc, and being given a talk about survival rates of babies born at 26-30 weeks :( I spent that whole discussion in tears!

We have to go to the pregnancy assessment unit for my appointment, to the exact bit where I used to have to go, and we have to see the same consultant who told me I wouldn't go past 30 weeks, and then at 26+5 that I might not go more than 10 more days. Thankfully, he is absolutely lovely so I know he will be sensitive but it's just the thought of going back there and seeing the place again and the same person etc. I've been back to the hospital where Sophie was born and spent 12 weeks in NICU loads of times and don't feel like this - I think it's because when we were last in that hospital, we had no idea what the outcome was going to be, and I was so terrified.

I'm actually more worried about that than I am about what he is going to say!

I think the thing that might make it easier is the fact that we will have Sophie with us this time and we know she is fine!

This is maybe a bit of a pointless thread but I know this is the place to find people who will be able to understand how I'm feeling!

Anyone who's on my facebook please don't mention this as we're not really telling people about the appointment, other than a couple of very close friends.....you know what people would be like, assuming we're going to start trying again! I'm just hoping nobody I know sees us in the pregnancy assessment unit and puts two and two together and makes 5 :haha:

Good luck tomorrow I hope they give you some good news.

I remember the first time walking back into the hospital when Holly got transferred and all the memories came flooding back as the last time I had been there I had still been pregnant with 2 babies and oblivious to the fact in 3 days time it was all going to go to crap. All my appointments had been there instead of with the midwife as it's the twin clinic. It will probably knock you a little bit but by the time you get to see the consultant hopefully you will have recovered.

I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to see the consultant. It was supposed to be in April but I was on holiday. I am going to see Dr Love :haha:

Good luck girls!

25weeker it was Dr Love that was my consultant through my pregnancy with Tori. Well looked after. :)

Hello

That's us just back from our appointment and we have been given the go-ahead to try for another baby :)

The consultant said that I'd have roughly a 20% chance (give or take) of getting pre-eclampsia again but he said there's a lot in my favour - my BP wasn't a problem before getting pregnant last time, I'm not overweight, don't smoke or drink, I'm still at an ok age (but not if we leave it TOO long!). He said he'd want to see me frequently from 20 weeks, and that he would want to leave it no longer than 3 weeks between each scan, and I'd be put on 75mg aspirin from 12 weeks. I'd also have urine tests to do daily at home, and would have my blood pressure monitored every couple of weeks. Basically, I'd be watched like a hawk! He said I probably wouldn't make it to 40 weeks (but hey, anything beyond 27 weeks is a bonus :haha:) and would probably have to have another c-section for safety, but he thinks that with careful monitoring etc we would be absolutely fine to go ahead :)

I had to have a blood test today so they could check for something that would mean I was a higher or lower risk depending on whether it was positive or negative. I can't remember what the thing is that he is checking for :haha: He said that the results wouldn't have any bearing on whether it's safe to go ahead and try again, it's just that if they came back positive (which he isn't expecting), they would put me on extra medication.

He said I'd really be in a less scary situation next time because I'd be so closely watched, and because I'd know what to look out for etc - it would be as dangerous as last time.

I feel loads better about that hospital now, having been back with Sophie with us and coming out with good news! The consultant LOVED seeing Sophie, after last seeing her on a scan at 26+5.

I didn't even end up having to go into the pregnancy assessment unit - I had to pass the labour suite, where I spent a scary few hours last time at 25 weeks, but other than that, didn't see any signs of anything that would trigger memories.

xxxx

Hello

That's us just back from our appointment and we have been given the go-ahead to try for another baby :)

The consultant said that I'd have roughly a 20% chance (give or take) of getting pre-eclampsia as early and severely as last time but he said there's a lot in my favour - my BP wasn't a problem before getting pregnant last time, I'm not overweight, don't smoke or drink, I'm still at an ok age (but not if we leave it TOO long!). He said he'd want to see me frequently from 20 weeks, and that he would want to leave it no longer than 3 weeks between each scan, and I'd be put on 75mg aspirin from 12 weeks. I'd also have urine tests to do daily at home, and would have my blood pressure monitored every couple of weeks. Basically, I'd be watched like a hawk! He said I probably wouldn't make it to 40 weeks (but hey, anything beyond 27 weeks is a bonus :haha:) and would probably have to have another c-section for safety, but he thinks that with careful monitoring etc we would be absolutely fine to go ahead :)

I had to have a blood test today so they could check for something that would mean I was a higher or lower risk depending on whether it was positive or negative. I can't remember what the thing is that he is checking for :haha: He said that the results wouldn't have any bearing on whether it's safe to go ahead and try again, it's just that if they came back positive (which he isn't expecting), they would put me on extra medication.

He said I'd really be in a less scary situation next time because I'd be so closely watched, and because I'd know what to look out for etc - it wouldn't be as dangerous as last time.

I feel loads better about that hospital now, having been back with Sophie with us and coming out with good news! The consultant LOVED seeing Sophie, after last seeing her on a scan at 26+5.

I didn't even end up having to go into the pregnancy assessment unit - I had to pass the labour suite, where I spent a scary few hours last time at 25 weeks, but other than that, didn't see any signs of anything that would trigger memories.

xxxx

Oh Katy that is such positive news! I'm sure you must be feeling a lot better about things now too. :hugs:

So happy to hear. I had major issues while carrying my son but it wasn't so early and those issues nearly stopped me from having another one.

My dr assured me that it may not happen like that again.

to add, my mom had severe pre e with my brother and with me had zero. I know people who had PE in their first pregnancies but haven't had them in their next. Good luck xx

Ah Katy, that really is wonderful news. Brought tears to my eyes. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->