New American Study

LDC

Reaction score
I was just watching Daybreak and there was news of a new study in America that has found that pregnant women who are exposed to traffic fumes have a higher chance of having a baby born with autism (mercury is more of a hazard than lead it said?).

Now I don't meant to be controversial, but some pregnant ladies could become really paranoid about this kind of thing when it's something they can't prevent. It's unlikely that anything is going to be done about the fumes, so do you think that they're releasing study findings when there isn't going to be anything done about it?

I've read on here about a lot of mums and mums to be who worry a lot about fumes (e.g. Don't paint their nails, due their hair, go near a bus etc), I worry these studies add fuel to the fire when it's something you can't do anything about on an individual level - asides from don't go out if you're in one of the higher polluted areas?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are?

X

I don't have a lot to say... other than that's really interesting. But I guess we can't live in bubbles for 9 months. Scientists say a lot of things

I understand where you are coming from. It was recently on the news on England that pregnant women shouldn't buy new furniture of cars and shouldn't eat any food in a plastic container or use beauty and hygiene products. Then an expert came on and said any risk was sooo tiny and avoiding these things meant that pregnant women wouldn't leave the house for fears it would hurt their baby. And let's face it most people but new furniture when pregnant. They also didn't explain how old the furniture/car had to be to be safe.

Jeez I've never heard of that one schnoogles!

I never really worried too much about things when I was pregnant, I just used my common sense as I think if you google anything then something horrific comes up about why you shouldn't do it.

I just wonder what will be next!! X

I propose that all the governments of the world send their pregnant women to live in a box on an all expenses paid holiday on an island (moderate climate) with no cars or fossil fuels, hire chefs (who must wash their hands in organic soap) to prepare perfect (not under nor under cooked) organic food containing no potential allergens, chemicals or pesticides, relaxing spas (tepid water of course) to reduce stress levels. There should also be a fund available to pay all your bills back home, and hand crafted, safety approved furniture and baby items that have never touched a chemical and contain NO PLASTIC will be given out at birth and put together by trained professionals because the pregnant ladies MUST NOT LIFT. Of course they will also hire nannies to look after their existing children so they don't have to lift them or be exposed to their dirty germs. .. but obviously the older child will suffer from a lack of bonding with the mother and they might catch AUTISM! ! Maybe they could clone the mother so the child doesn't notice.? Then and only then will there be NO AUTISM (so long as you ignore the studies showing genetic predisposition.. and of course you never let your child chew on plastic. .. and whatever you do don't vaccinate them, but then they'll get measles and die and infect all the other children)... and breathe!!!

I propose that all the governments of the world send their pregnant women to live in a box on an all expenses paid holiday on an island (moderate climate) with no cars or fossil fuels, hire chefs (who must wash their hands in organic soap) to prepare perfect (not under nor under cooked) organic food containing no potential allergens, chemicals or pesticides, relaxing spas (tepid water of course) to reduce stress levels. There should also be a fund available to pay all your bills back home, and hand crafted, safety approved furniture and baby items that have never touched a chemical and contain NO PLASTIC will be given out at birth and put together by trained professionals because the pregnant ladies MUST NOT LIFT. Of course they will also hire nannies to look after their existing children so they don't have to lift them or be exposed to their dirty germs. .. but obviously the older child will suffer from a lack of bonding with the mother and they might catch AUTISM! ! Maybe they could clone the mother so the child doesn't notice.? Then and only then will there be NO AUTISM (so long as you ignore the studies showing genetic predisposition.. and of course you never let your child chew on plastic. .. and whatever you do don't vaccinate them, but then they'll get measles and die and infect all the other children)... and breathe!!!

This made me really lol!

It's silly who DOES these stupid studies?!

I think if they have done the study, then they should release the results to the public and each person can do what they like with the knowledge. I think censoring the results for fear of what people may feel like is a big too Big Brotherish. Also if for example they didnt release the results, and a pregnant woman who lives on a busy street has a baby who later develops autism, if the results ever came out she could argue that she could have moved home when she was pregnant and ask for compensation.

I think most of us have the common sense not to worry too much about these things.

Part of me wonders how much money they spend on these studies that could be curing cancer or something else...

Angeloftroy - where the hell can I sign up for that? More for the treatments, food and preparation!! In the future this actually will happen, you mark my words!! Xx

I don't believe that traffic fumes caused Claire's autism for what its worth. :flower: I carpooled to work and left on sick leave when I was 26 weeks pregnant. So basically stayed home for the rest of my pregnancy.

My hubby is very eco-concious so we never let the car idle even before I was pregnant etc.

Its my personal opinion that because there's such a rapidly growing rate for Autism that the public (in general) are starting to demand answers as to why its happening. Hence all the vaccination/Autism debates and studies like this.

I feel that the government/health officals are feeling the pressure to explain WHY this happens as the whole "we don't know why this is" isn't acceptable for most of us. Hope that made sense!

If it did raise the risk of autism, wouldn't we see a pocket of high autism diagnoses in urban areas like NYC or London?

Just because you don't like the study doesn't mean it's a waste of money. Thousands of studies are conducted every day and not for the purpose of scaring people or because they have nothing better to do. It's to better understand the world around us. I personally have no issues with anyone conducting research that will potentially help us understand something that we currently don't (like autism).

Is this likely to be the groundbreaking study that pinpoints traffic fumes as the cause of autism? Probably not. But if you find any sort of correlation between things then someone else can come along and try to replicate or revise...

As for "that money could be put towards curing cancer"... well, sure. Have you ever spent money on a nice meal? Vacation? That money could've been put towards cancer research.

Studies like these get publicized because autism is such a hot topic right now. The study was likely not done with the intent to cause mass panic among pregnant women, rather to test a hypothesis... like every other study.

It was just an opinion as we are all entitled to in a debate! And yes I do give money to cancer research thanks :) I was more relating it to the thousands that they spend on this kind of thing.

Let's not get personal!

Tiff, I thought you put forward a good point about the government wanting some explanation for things, you're right "we don't know" is never 'ok'

X

If it did raise the risk of autism, wouldn't we see a pocket of high autism diagnoses in urban areas like NYC or London?

Good point, I hadn't even thought of that!

X

I wasn't making it personal. I just don't think it's a valid argument to say people shouldn't spend money on one thing when it could be spent on something "better". When surely we all spend money on needless things every day (and I would argue that scientific studies aren't needless at all).

I can see both points. :flower:

Studies are definitely needed, especially when we don't know. Its my personal hope (with these types of studies that may or may not help) is that it will spawn thought and maybe with one, someone will think of something that hasn't been thought of and then that could be the route to getting the answers we need.

But then again, the likelyhood of it being from exhaust fumes is so low that I can also see how it might be a bit "hrm??" about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->