• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New Awareness Video. Too much?

Elizax

Kirsty
Reaction score
So I logged onto Facebook today to see a video had been shared that shows the story of a toddler that had been left in the car while his mother (who had obviously forgotten him) goes into the store.

I absolutely bawled my eyes out watching and felt sick to my stomach, it still haunts me after two days. I know it's only acting and the child wasn't harmed, but to think this has already happened 13 times this year is heart wrenching.

Here is the video, I will warn you that if you get over sensitive about these kind of awareness videos DO NOT WATCH.

https://youtu.be/XNDWN8KDVSM

It's a very powerful short movie, to think that there was two people who walked past and didn't do a thing as well.
I was shouting, begging for someone to help the poor child!

Anyway I wanted to share this to get your views, for me it was just too much and I think any parent with kids will agree, but because it's had such an effect, perhaps parents will take extra precaution and more measures when leaving home.

It's also made me very aware of watching out for children in cars in hot weather, I probably would never have known just how dangerous it can be, in just 15 minutes!

I saw that on Fb a few weeks ago, heart wrenching. It was just a few days or a week after a little kiddo was left in a car in 40c+ temps and died as a result. :cry:

What bothers me most about it are the statistics, if they are accurate. And who in their right mind would go shopping while leaving their kiddo strapped in a car seat in the car (regardless of temps at the time)? I know its for shock and awe so people won't do it... but yikes.

I saw that on Fb a few weeks ago, heart wrenching. It was just a few days or a week after a little kiddo was left in a car in 40c+ temps and died as a result. :cry:

What bothers me most about it are the statistics, if they are accurate. And who in their right mind would go shopping while leaving their kiddo strapped in a car seat in the car (regardless of temps at the time)? I know its for shock and awe so people won't do it... but yikes.

It's awful!
I remember when the windows in our old car broke (automatic ones), 3 year ago in the car in the summer and only driving about 10 minutes down the road had me dizzy and seeing spots with the air con on. (I mean, it takes about 15 minutes for it to actually fully cool the car.)

My stomach still drops everytime I remember the little boy crying :cry:

Or the amount of people who wave and look in the windows and see a baby in there and don't think to contact anyone. :wacko:

Or the amount of people who wave and look in the windows and see a baby in there and don't think to contact anyone. :wacko:

It just shows how easily that little boys life could have been saved if they had done something.

I have to say one thing I've got from it is if I ever see a child in a car with nobody around on a hot day, I won't be hesitant to smash windows to get the child out. I honestly never knew how deadly it could be. :cry:

I won't and can't watch the video. I'm well aware of the dangers and DO take extra precautions to make sure this never happens. I believe this was posted in another thread before and what the video shows is the mother just leaving him in the car to go shopping..not neccesarily forgetting? Is that correct? If that's the case, parents who PURPOSELY leave their children in their car to do whatever need a smack or more up the head bc that is appalling. On the other hand, and it's very unfortunate, but many good parents DO forget their children and sometimes it's fatal. Forgetting your child, regardless if you think you're capable or not, is something that can happen to ANYONE. That being said I think it's necessary to put your purse in the back seat or something that will make you think "Oh okay my baby is in the back seat"

I can't watch it, either. I'm far too sensitive. I opened it to watch it when the other thread posted it, but I was crying before the page finished loading because I knew what was going to happen. Just hearing what others say about it has me scanning cars when I go through parking lots.
I had a massive breakdown when we started care again-- I'd been taking my son in to work with me for a couple months straight, so I was used to having him on me all the time. I dropped him off at care and then parked in the commuter lot. I got halfway to my building when I came out of a daydream and realized my son wasn't with me. I'm not sure I've ever moved so fast as when I ran the quarter mile back to the car before remembering he'd been dropped off at care. It was sweltering that morning. I just sat and had a good cry next to my car for a few minutes before picking myself back up and trying to maintain some dignity on my walk back to my belongings on the sidewalk. It was a bad day.

Safly, more (stupid) parents need to watch that.

Wish I hadn't watched that! Heartbreaking.

Hmm it is difficult to say whether it's okay to use these kind of shock tactics.. on one hand some people just need to see this and it does stay with you and achieves what it wants to achieve but on the other hand, if this was shown on TV, many people would find it extremely distressing and upsetting which isn't really fair.

kissesandhugs Yes I think the advert is showing that the mother just thinks nothing of leaving him there whilst she does a shop. Do people really do this? If so that's just dreadful. But I have heard the stories where tired parents just forget and they break they heart so much too :(

Anyway in answer to the question, I think the advert is too upsetting for TV but thinking about it I have never seen any sort of safety adverts on TV about things like this? Something more toned-down would be good. xx

There's been a few instances of babies and toddlers passing away in the heat here. So sad! You'd think that'd be awareness enough, eh?

Although sad to admit, it wasn't until I watched this video that it really resonated with me the statistics on just HOW many children die from being unattended. :nope:

Not saying I think this should be on TV, cuz I definitely think its a bit too much to just be sprung on unsuspecting people.

this was too much for me. We have made a habit that if we both can't go, the kids don't go. My son (4) is noisy and ff so not easily to forget but dd still RF and falls asleep...We make a conscience effort to know where our kids are at all times. It really pissed me off that the people tapped at the baby even when he was crying in distress!

Normally stuff online doesn't get to me so I watched.... I sobbed. It's so heartbreaking and powerful but I don't think it's too much. The video did shock me though - the woman who tried all the doors and then just walked away made me want to shake her and it's awful that scenarios like that happen. I have seen several places here with notices saying that if Dogs are left in hot cars the staff will smash the windows. Why are there no signs saying the same for children? I think it's about time something like this was out to make people aware, you also don't hear about children dying in the same way you would an animal. This is totally wrong. I will be sharing this video with a similar disclaimer to you, people don't have to watch it but they need to be aware of how dangerous it can really be! x

Personally I think when it comes to children's safely then almost anything should be used. Whether it's shock tactics or something else.
If you tone things down, some (intelligent people with common sense) will understand the extent of the issue. But sadly, some people need the worst possible thing shoved in their faces for them to understand anything. This advert is awful. I cried watching it. But that's going to stay with me probably for the rest of my life.so did it work? Yes. And surely that's the most important thing in raising awareness for anything let alone your children's safety?

Sadly my OH and I were in Tescos last week and parked next to a car with a young baby, toddler and a young schoolkid (probably P2 or 3 at a push). They were in there themselves and all we could hear was the oldest telling the youngest ones to be quiet. My OH went off and got the security guard and then stayed in the car next to them til their "parent" came back. She wasn't happy that my OH had reported her to security, she was pissed off even more when he told her he was ex police and he'd report her to them too !. All she did was get in the car and drive off. No coddling her kids, absolutely bugger all. The OH got her car reg and reported her, but we've heard nothing back. Granted it was at 8pm at night and it's winter here, but hell I wouldn't even leave my dog alone outside a supermarket let alone my babies.

I saw it last year. Whilst I believe that the majority of these instances are tragic accidents within a drilled in routine, this is certainly a cause that parents need to be so vigilant about. I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading somebody suggesting wearing a bracelet that catches your eye and associating it with double checking yourself.

I don't think it's too much. It's reality.

This got me. Like WTF?! This is awful. I wouldn't have thought anyone would leave a baby alone in a car, let alone the amount that obviously do in extreme heat.

I will say, since seeing this video I'm far more conscious of my surroundings when I'm out and about. I have no qualms calling 911 if I see a child alone in a car. I think I was just as bothered by the Mom leaving the kid in the car as I was by the people walking by and not saying/do anything.

Personally I think when it comes to children's safely then almost anything should be used. Whether it's shock tactics or something else.
If you tone things down, some (intelligent people with common sense) will understand the extent of the issue. But sadly, some people need the worst possible thing shoved in their faces for them to understand anything. This advert is awful. I cried watching it. But that's going to stay with me probably for the rest of my life.so did it work? Yes. And surely that's the most important thing in raising awareness for anything let alone your children's safety?

I do agree with this.

I do agree with this.

I agree. Like that anti speeding video with the dead little girl? Horrible but totally necessary. I for one am way more careful about my speed knowing the difference it makes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->