New born feeds every minute of every day

mummytobe_93

Reaction score
My son is 5 days old and exclusively breast fed. I know babiwa cluster feed and they feed constantly my daughter was also breast fed and fed many hours of the day.

But seriously this is something else. He feeds 24/7 if he's not in my boob he's crying. My milk came in on day 2 so I know he's not just feeding to bring my milk in. I can hear him gulping large amounts of milk so I know he's taking w lot. I also have a super over supply and am engorged at the moment and hoping this settles soon.

I don't mind feeding him all the time but the problem is he feeds so often he vomits a lot (and it's not just little bits) no one else can hold him as he wants to be fed. I burp him often so I don't think that's why he's throwing up.

So seriously can you over feed a breastfed baby? I think he's sucking for comfort but then milk is coming out.

I would say he feeds easily 22 hours in a 24 hour period! I hope this doesn't last too much longer im exhausted. We have a co sleeper but he still manages to end up in bed with me which I don't like but I don't have any other choice.

Any advice would be great or if your new borns were the same when did it stop? X

Felix was like this at first. He's three weeks now and still feeds for most of the day but it's not as bad. I've found that if I put him in the sling and go for a walk he generally falls in a deep sleep and can go 2-3 hours between feeds, though this only works if I go out as he doesn't seem to sleep in the sling if I'm indoors. Worth a try maybe? I also caved at 2 weeks and introduced a dummy. He only uses it rarely but it does sometimes help him fall/stay asleep without needing to use me to comfort suck. I've bought a baby swing today too because I can't put him down in the house and I need to be able to have a few minutes each day just to get things done. Don't know if it'll help but hoping it might!

Dominic was like this as well. The first few nights he was home I sat up for over 6 hours straight feeding him. Introducing a dummy worked for us.

It does get better honest!

We're 11 days in and LO is already starting to go a decent amount of time between feeds, we're up to 2 1/2 - 3 hours during the day and then still have a bit of a cluster early evening

Nights are still hit and miss but last night he was going 2 - 2 1/2 hours between feeds which is a lot better than solidly from 11pm-4am!

My first was like that . he was a v sucky baby . we introduced a pacifier and it worked a charm.

Sorry about punctuation. Silly phone!

I agree on the dummy suggestion. Both mine have been breastfed and had dummies from very early (2 weeks for my son and about 12 hours for my daughter!) and never had any nipple confusion issues. As long as they are gaining weight you should be fine to use one. X

Be on alert for other symptoms of reflux over the next few weeks. It could just be regular newborn demand and probably is, but looking back our son with severe GERD was showing signs as soon as my milk had come in and overfeeding was one of them

I second the dummy suggestion. Zach had one shoved in his mouth at 3 days old after I swore I didn't want to use one. I'd have cracked up otherwise

Reflux babies can find sucking soothing. Taking on extra milk can cause vomiting (that's why you can't overfeed a breastfed baby - they overfeed but chuck it back up to even it out) but it could be reflux too.

Pacifiers can help reflux babies but I wouldn't want to suggest one if there is any question he's not transferring milk properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->