• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New cloth nappy care?

elm

Mama
Reaction score
Loving this section!! :thumbup:

I've only bought 2nd hand nappies before this week when I got some gorgeous tots bots bamboozles in pretty colours. They say on them that they should be washed several times before use - is that just so they're as absorbent as possible?

I won't be hurting them will I? I don't mind them not being hugely absorbent at first. Just don't want to waste a load of water and electricity unnecessarily!!!

Yeah, it's to maximise initial absorbency. I washed all Jack's terry squares while waiting for labour then only used a couple lol! I washed some of his other ones as we got them, but not all, some of them I was just desperate to get him into asap! I didn't really notice a difference in absorbency from first use to after a few washes. It's only now, after they've been washed a couple of dozen times that I notice it compared to when new.

I do loads of washing anyways with my lot, so I just chucked them in with every lwash of similar colours....I think I washed them about 7 times before I finally put one on him.......and decided I didnt like them!:dohh:

Yeah it's to wash out all the natural oils and to make them more absorbent. With prefolds you can boil them so not to have to do load after load in the washer, but I don't think you can with fitteds, I don't know.

All bamboo nappies need extra washing to get to top absorbancy. But if they're preloved, this'll have been done. I'd just wash in the detergent you will be using :)

I washed my new nappies with my normal wash as been a family of 6 my washer is on most days anyway

I washed my new nappies with my normal wash as been a family of 6 my washer is on most days anyway

I'd do that too if I used fabric conditioner on my nappies - I use white vinegar instead as I read that was better for them?

x

Yeah, you shouldn't use fabric softener as it leaves a residue which can make them less absorbent over time.

Elm I also use tot bots bamboozles and I washed them 3 times first I just couldn't wait any longer and I've never had one leak.

You aren't meant to use anything on them except non-bio as fabric conditioner coats them and vinegar breaks down the bamboo. I read it somewhere but not sure where I'll see if I can find a link for you.

https://www.totsbots.com/nappies/care/

Elm I also use tot bots bamboozles and I washed them 3 times first I just couldn't wait any longer and I've never had one leak.

You aren't meant to use anything on them except non-bio as fabric conditioner coats them and vinegar breaks down the bamboo. I read it somewhere but not sure where I'll see if I can find a link for you.

https://www.totsbots.com/nappies/care/

THANK YOU!!! thanks so much for that - I want my nappies to last for as long as possible. I will keep vinegar well away fromt them in future.. my poor nappies!! I only managed one wash pre wear as I didn't want to waste electricity or water. No leaks yet :D

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"