New Here - My Story

angsea

Gloria's Mommy
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I stumbled across this site doing a random google search and thought I'd take the time register and introduce myself as I am desperately seeking support during this difficult time.

My name is Angel. My husband, Michael and I have been married for almost twelve years. We struggled for over a decade with infertility due to PCOS and stage IV Endometriosis. After over a year of fertility treatments and eventual hysteroscopy and laprascopy, we were finally able to conceive.

I had a beautiful pregnancy until 24 weeks gestation when I went into labor. I received steroid injections to mature my daughter's lungs and was on bed rest and magnesium sulfate for several days. I made it just beyond 25 weeks but they eventually had to stop the mag sulfate as my blood levels were becoming dangerously toxic.

Shortly after stopping the mag sulfate I went into active labor. My daughter was born at 4:49 AM weighing just one pound and eleven ounces. She was eleven inches long.

That was on April 15th. It has been almost three months now and while I thought my journey would be almost over by now, that is not the case and it is very hard on us.

Gloria was born fairly healthy, all things considered, but problems soon arose. The first major hurdle was a massive PDA that coupled with her CDL eventually led to congestive heart failure. She also had an unknown mass in her liver.

She received PDA ligation surgery on May 20th, and the very next day, she was unintentionally given a nearly fatal overdose of dopamine. The nurse who hung it thought it was TPN and gave her 250 times the maximum recommended dose for over 4.5 hours.

After that, Gloria became extremely ill and had to go on the oscillator for the first time in her life. She HAD been on a regular vent since moments after her birth so this step back was very upsetting to us.

She went from oscillator to ventilator several times and eventually started to improve. They weaned her off TPN/Lipids and started full feeds and eventually put her on C-Pap. She was on C-Pap for four days, but she wasn't blowing off enough Co2 so they put her back on the ventilator.

About two weeks ago she really started improving and they were talking about taking her off the vent, but then her ROP rapidly moved from Stage 0 to Stage 3. She had laser surgery on Tuesday and did not handle it very well.

They brought her back into the room bagging her because the ventilator was not giving her enough support. Every time they tried to get her back on it, her o2 saturation levels and heart rate would drop dramatically and they would have to continue with bagging her. Eventually, they managed to get her settings high enough to give her support.

She's on 50% oyxgen, 20% pressure with a peep of 7. These settings are very upsetting to us because they are so high and she is now almost 36 weeks gestation.

It feels like she is NEVER going to get off that damn ventilator! I hate it because I cannot hold her properly, cannot nurse her and it feels as though she is never going to come home.

It's very hard right now. :cry:

I know all of you understand. Thanks in advance for your prayers and support for Gloria and for my husband and I.

- Angel

Hi, just wanted to say welcome to the group. The ladies here are lovely and will all offer you a lot of support. It sounds like you have been (and still are) on one hell of a journey. I really hope that your little one continues to fight and gets home soon x

I read your story and my hand was over my mouth when you said
she was unintentionally given a nearly fatal overdose of dopamine. The nurse who hung it thought it was TPN and gave her 250 times the maximum recommended dose for over 4.5 hours.

I'm absolutley stunned :shock: I hope she has been disaplined for that, that is truely awful.

:hugs:

You will get lots of support here, Angel, stick around! My little girl had the same issue with ROP too- one min she was fine and then she had grade 3 and laser, I couldn't believe it.Her sight is good at 1 year actual age.

I hope things improve for Gloria quickly!!!

Sandi x

My thoughts and prayers are with your family and your lil Gloria. She sounds like she is a real fighter. I think you will find wonderful support here. :hugs:

wow... there are just no words. From seeing the lingo you use (peep, ROP etc) it`s clear you`ve spent many, many long hours in a NICU. My little one just passed two months in NICU so I can understand what complete hell this is.

All I can think of saying... At one point my (by then 32 week) baby was on only on cpap while the other three in the room, all at term and much larger, were all on oscillators (we can them high frequency but I believe it`s the same thing). I was so proud. Then the next week he was back on the oscillator himself and two others were on ventilators - it varies all the time. Most of these little miracles all go through all of the machines multiple times.

I know that will bring you little comfort. Weaning our babies off those darn breathing machines is the longest, most frustrating part of this journey. All my thoughts and prayers go with you. You`ll find plenty of ladies here that can help at least share and understand what you`re going through :hugs:

Wow, what a strong little fighter you have there!

Massive hugs, it is very hard trying to cope through all of this.

My little girl was born at 25 weeks and I was terrified, she was on the vent for 2 hours then managed a week off. You try so hard not to think 'what if' but sometimes its hard to see past the positive.

I hope your little girl gets stronger, as she grows her muscles and her lungs will improve and will be easier to breath.

I know its not the same but I thought my girl was never going to get off the cpap, then the other day she was put back on a tiny bit of oxygen it does feel like a bit of a step back, but then you have to think that they are getting a rest with this help, and it will help them get stronger.

The people on this forum have been wonderful, I joined before I was pregnant, never imagined I would end up in this section though!

The people on this forum have been wonderful, I joined before I was pregnant, never imagined I would end up in this section though!

True! It was always the section I would dash in and out of in the space of a minute , I didnt want to know and didnt want to tempt fate! :blush: And now look at us! :dohh:

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl she is an amazing wee fighter.

Hopefully she will be off the ventilator very soon. Try not to worry about where she is at and her gestation. She has been through a terrible ordeal with the overdose and is still fighting so she is one tough wee cookie. Everything else will follow in her own time.

In the meantime these boards will help answer any questions as unfortunately there is a lot off us on here!

wow sound like you and bubs are really doing it tough. I have had a 27 weeker and a 31 weeker and i know all about the NICU rollercoaster. She is obviously a little toughie. Keep your head up (easy to say i know). In a few months this will all be memories and you'll be putting it behind you, just try to look to the future where things will be fantastic.

I'm absolutley stunned :shock: I hope she has been disaplined for that, that is truely awful.

She was 'asked to retire' shortly after the incident. We are consulting with an attorney over the long-term ramifications.

Thanks so much for all your replies. She was doing a little better when we went to see her last night and I got to hold her for awhile. I really just cannot wait for this all to be over. It is so hard dealing with this from day to day.

I've been waiting for eleven years to bring my baby home but these last three months have surely been the hardest.

What a little fighter! Hope she is home before too long x

She was 'asked to retire' shortly after the incident. We are consulting with an attorney over the long-term ramifications.

Thanks so much for all your replies. She was doing a little better when we went to see her last night and I got to hold her for awhile. I really just cannot wait for this all to be over. It is so hard dealing with this from day to day.

I've been waiting for eleven years to bring my baby home but these last three months have surely been the hardest.

I know you are going through a lot right now and have alot on your mond with your little one... BUT that nurse deserves to get disciplined to the fullest!! I know some people say getting her in trouble will not help your baby get better but she is the reason for the HUGE setback in her recovery and she deserves to NOT be a nurse!! This is how I feel! My baby was in the NICU for a while and I thank GOD I had an amazing NICU staff it's unfortunate that there are nurses that make that HUGE of a mistake and for over 4 hours... I don't even know you Hun yet I am very upset for you and your family!!! Just keep praying for baby and all will be okay she is Gods child and he is watching over her and your family!! I am praying for you and baby daily!! There are alotbof great girls here with great stories and advice for you!!

Xoxoxo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->