New job and pregnancy advice??

mybbyboo

Reaction score
I just landed a great job in the NICU at one of the biggest hospital chains In California and I couldn't be more happy but I'm pregnant ... Obviously lol. When do I tell them? Can they fire me on maternity leave or do I even get maternity leave since I'll only be like there six months. I'm so scared of getting fired any advice helps.

think you need work 23/26 weeks for maternity pay. I fell outside this with my seasonal job. I would talk to doc/mw about when tell work. As long as its before due date by 11weeks.

I'm in the same boat as you.. sort of. The only difference is that I'm 9 weeks and I just got a job at Tim Hortons today. Didn't tell them I'm pregnant so I'm nervous about having to eventually tell them... :/

They can't just fire you because you're pregnant... they can say you aren't doing a good job or something and fire you then, even if the real reason is because you're pregnant. They just can't say that. And as far as I know they CANNOT fire you while on maternity leave. I think they can fire you after though, but obviously they wouldn't say it had anything to do with having a baby.

It sucks how much we have to worry about when being pregnant is worrying enough!

All places are different when it comes to maternity leave. My company does not offer you maternity leave unless you work with them a year. I just got a new position at my company, so I am entitled to my leave and my position when I return. You will have to look into the hospital to see what their policy is. If you aren't eligible for leave, the company has the right to replace your position when you leave. But if you are in good standing with your company and plan on returning as soon as you can, I'm sure they wouldn't replace you. I would still wait a couple weeks (just to get past the first trimester) before telling them. I think I told my work at 11 weeks, but that was only because we had an incident with a fire extinguisher and I was worried about the fumes lol.

Tell them asap! The sooner you tell them the sooner you can confidently make arrangements and keep things out in the open with your work. Even if it is 6 months.
They can't fire you because you're pregnant, that's discrimination and it's basically illegal.
I'd have a look at your work policy and contract to see what benefits you can get for MAT leave. Whether it's paid or not...? Usually paid MAT leave is only made if you have made arrangements with your boss or if you've been working there for over 12 months.

I told my boss right away as I got my bfp the day after getting hired:haha: My boss has been amazing and super supportive. They can't fire you over being pregnant, and all work places have different mat leave. Like my position doesn't have it as I have to work there a year first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->