New job + ttc..

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by kezzaside, Jun 5, 2011.

1. kezzaside

kezzaside Well-Known Member

Ok, so I had unprotected sex between the 25th and 31st, I think my ovulating dates were around the 27th .. not totally sure as I came off the pill in March and my periods have been very irregular. I start a new job in 3 weeks, that would make me about 4 weeks if I am pregnant, I just want to know if I will be entitled to some sort of maternity leave, even if it wasn't from the employer? I'm in the UK Xx

2. Tanzibar83

Tanzibar83 Guest

At my work you have to be working for the employer for at least 15 weeks but I'm not sure if that means you can't be pregnant til at least 15 weeks into the job before you are entitled to full maternity pay OR as long as you stay in that job til at least 15 weeks before announcing. Either way I don't think I'm leaving any time soon and have been there 3 years!

You should check your terms and conditions in your contract and maybe contact your HR for some advice. If you aren't entitled to that I'm sure you'll get some benefits or help from the government!

Good luck

3. jadenblu

jadenblu Well-Known Member

You should be eligible for SMP as long as you can provide your employer with the correct notice which is 15 weeks before you are due. But if your company has a maternity package on top of this, you'd need to check with their HR department for eligibility.

4. TT84

TT84 Well-Known Member

It really depends on your employer. I was 10 weeks pregnant when I started my new job and was entitled to maternity leave however I was only entitled to MA (maternity allowance) which is less than SMP. Whatever happens you should be entitled to maternity leave it's whether they pay you anything!

Good luck with you pregnancy and new job!