• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New Mama, Cloth Diapering, etc.

BabyCleo

New mama to Lily-Grace
Reaction score
Hello all!! Ill be a FTM in May! YAY! :happydance: Ive been looking into cloth diapering and im excited to get buying, I just wanted to run it by you girls first before I spend my money :)

Ive decided on prefolds (flats?) .. hubby and I watched a ton of youtube videos on them and I feel like they will be the best for us. I wrote out a list of what I think we need, and just wanted to make sure I understood what ive learned.

- 25 Prefolds (cotton or bamboo?)
- About 5-10 waterproof cute covers
- disposable liners (those pad looking things?)
- Snappis (how many of these do I need?)

I currently make my own laundry detergent, which is a much more natural laundry solution. I have a TON in mason jars (when I make it I make a years worth) so I don't need to worry about that. How many snappis do I need?

I also just want to confirm people DO actually use liners with prefolds. To me it seems less... icky? especially for a newborn. I also know I will need a nappy bin of sorts to chuck the dirty ones in, I plan to do laundry either once a day or once every second day.

Thanks girls!!

Actually disposable liners are worse than useless MO for newborns, especially if breast fed. What comes out is liquid, and all the liners seem to do is smear it around, as they reduce the speed it can be absorbed. If you just do a cold rinse before washing, you'll find it all washes out, although you may get mustard colour stains left, but they sun out when you hang the nappies i the sun.

Now fleece liners are a good idea, as they help little bums feel dry.

3 snap pies should be enough - just rinse them now and again. On the other hand they are easy to lose :haha:

Thanks! I didn't think about that but it makes sense! Lol @ the snappis... I lose things so maybe ill buy a few extra emergency ones lol.

Are the prefolds one size fits all or do I need newborn sized ones?

I hate to confuse the issue but I will give my opinion because I have been using the same concept for several years now.

I use these diaper covers:
https://www.theluvyourbaby.com/happy-leak-free-os-diaper-cover/

The good thing about these is that you don't need those snapies. I ordered the button ones because I hear that after a while velero won't stick.

Also, I ordered the inserts rather than prefolds. I started with microfibre, they would be more absorbent that refolds and less folding. Now if you go with microfiber you just need to place a thin (wicking) material between the baby and the microfiber insert. This is a very quick and cheap way to diaper a baby. Eventually I changed to the bamboo insert. The bamboo is more absorbent, a little more expensive, but it can go right next to the babies skin so you don't need the material.

I still use this method when I need to use diaper cream, but I make sure that I use the material so the diaper cream doesn't touch the insert.

I never use liners. If the baby is not eating solids the poop is water soluble so it's not a big deal to wash.

Thanks! Im still so confused lol.

I found the osocozy flats, which look cheap and awesome. I plan on being a SAHM so I don't mind extra steps/time.

If I used the osocozy flats, do I then use a diaper cover (I was looking at econobaby ones) over the top?

I youtubed how to do folds etc and it seems decently easy. I just wanted to make sure the osocozy flats do actually hold poop lol.

I looked up the osocozy flats, if you want to use those you will just need a diaper cover. I looked up econobaby but I couldn't find what it actually is. If that is a plastic cover similar to the Kawaii one that I put the link to then that is is good too. If it has snaps or velcro then you don't need the snapies and you are good to go. Just remember that you should not use diaper cream when cloth diapering unless you put a disposable liner to protect the diaper.

One thing to consider, how often are you washing? You change a newborn diaper every 3 hours, thats 8 prefolds per day. If you go with 25 that will last 3 days.

Thanks! Finally the lightbulb goes off lol.

I plan on washing every day/every second day. I however will be living in an apartment complex with shared laundry, so I want extra just in case I cant get a washer that day.

I found the kawaii covers, and I also saw sweet pea ones. The econobaby dosent ship to Canada so that's a no go lol.

Agree with everything LittlePants said, especially that fleece liners are good. Disposable ones are pretty worthless at that stage (or any, in my opinion). I use prefolds but never used snappis at all, just trifold them and lay them in the cover. You'll figure out what works for you.

Thank you! :) I swear ive been referencing everything you ladies have said (and also in another thread in 2nd tri) and I think we have decided!

We are going with the osocozy flats, and im going to try a bunch of different folds and try prefolding them (padfold?) and my hubby and I really liked the blueberry covers and heard good things about them so we ordered some of the smaller and then regular sizes in cute patterns.

I never got what you all meant when you said you had cover buying addictions ..... see it now. The little giraffe patterns won me. :haha:

Im finally excited and not stressed over this!!

Those blueberry covers look good, will be nice to have the double button at the hip. But wow are they ever expensive. I paid about $3 for my covers and have been using them almost 3 years now.

I'm wondering if you arr confusing a flat with a prefold? I didn't think there were many ways to fold a prefold. I only know of two. And a flat has many variations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->