New to cloth :)

wantababybump

Reaction score
I very much wanted to try cloth diapering and hubby is now on board with the idea (all it took was the hose you hook to your toilet to change his mind...lol for some reason he thought this was the coolest thing ever) anyways I was wondering a couple things:

1.are you/did you cloth diaper right from birth or did you/will you wait a month or 2?

2. what do you prefer...pockets or AIO's/AI2's?

I want to make some of my own cloth diapers eventually but wonder if it would be more worth it if I bought my stash and then after Madison is born try making a few as of right now I dont know what will fit properly etc so don't want to make a whole bunch of diapers if they wont fit her.

Any tips/advice from mama's who cloth diaper? :shrug:

ETA: I have read the sticky thread and have done hours and hours of research online but more wanted your personal opinions rather than just the basics! Thanks :flower:

I very much wanted to try cloth diapering and hubby is now on board with the idea (all it took was the hose you hook to your toilet to change his mind...lol for some reason he thought this was the coolest thing ever) anyways I was wondering a couple things:

1.are you/did you cloth diaper right from birth or did you/will you wait a month or 2? I have done both- with DD1 we did when she was 6mo. with DD2 we did right from birth and shes still in CD

2. what do you prefer...pockets or AIO's/AI2's? I prefer Prefolds/Flats and covers for daytime and Pockets for nights. I have tried all different kids though and recommend you should too- fitteds/contours/AIO, AI2/pockets

I want to make some of my own cloth diapers eventually but wonder if it would be more worth it if I bought my stash and then after Madison is born try making a few as of right now I dont know what will fit properly etc so don't want to make a whole bunch of diapers if they wont fit her.

Any tips/advice from mama's who cloth diaper? :shrug: Youll need small dipes for a newborn- they come in different sizes based on weight.

ETA: I have read the sticky thread and have done hours and hours of research online but more wanted your personal opinions rather than just the basics! Thanks :flower:

Personally, id just get a few different types and see what works for you. Everyone one and every baby is different. We could tell you " Prefolds are the best" but your baby may not like them NOR your OH like dunking them in the toilet...lol.

:rofl: at hubby coming on board over the poo spraying hose!

With my dd I didn't start until she was 13 mths so really late on. The next one will be in cloth hopefully from very early on, but I'll be waiting until the meconium passes, just can't imagine getting sticky tar like poop off nice pretty cloth! :nope:

The majority of my stash are pockets. I need them to be fast drying which is one of the downfalls of aios so pockets work perfectly for us. Ai2s work well for us too but I don't think they are any less work that pockets tbh.

I have never made any of my own and would not be clever enough to do so. I think if you've got the time then make up a few now before all your time is taken up with bubs! :thumbup: There is a DIY thread somewhere here that you might be able to find help at.

My only advice is try lots of different kinds, don't go buying a whole heap of the same kind until you know they work for you. Good luck!

Thanks :) My biggest thing is not spending a whole lot on having to buy patterns right now so have been searching for some free ones...I have made a couple RRP's which I like but haven't mastered completely yet lol

1.are you/did you cloth diaper right from birth or did you/will you wait a month or 2?
We used cloth from when LO was 10 days old, but with a second baby I would use cloth from day 1. Cloth isn't actually any harder IMO (and there's no taking stinky nappy pails out to the rubbish bins) but I thought it would be so we waited until we knew what we were doing a bit more.

2. what do you prefer...pockets or AIO's/AI2's?
My daytime nappies are Flips (which are a weird kind of hybrid prefold system but no folding involved) and AI2s. I'm too lazy to stuff pockets. At night, we use fitted nappies with wool covers but we didn't need these until LO started weeing loads as she got older and waking to be changed less often.

I personally wouldn't go to all the effort of making nappies until you've actually tried some on your LO and you know what kinds you like. If you did want to get into cloth straight away, or have some ready made, you could try making newborn nappies out of old t-shirts. I plan on making some of these for my next: https://www.cloth-diapers-made-easy.com/the-no-sew-tshirt-diaper.html Instead of folding them each time I think I'll sew them in place. If you use old t-shirts, they can just be thrown away if they are too badly stained by meconium. I'd say the same for buying nappies, maybe buy one or two each of a couple of different types/makes so you can try different things. If you buy preloved, you'll be able to sell on any you don't like for the same price.

Any tips/advice from mama's who cloth diaper?
Don't let other people put you off! Most people think cloth involves soaking, boiling and scrubbing poo with your bare hands, when it's nothing like that at all nowadays. It really is very easy.

Babame are giving away free XS bumgenius AIO's with proof of birth/pregnancy between April - Oct this year.

i love different nappies for different things.

We have stay dry flips for daytime (out and about), his childminder uses bumgenius AIOs (nice and easy), We use Flips organics or Ecobubs overnight, then i have a random collection of pockets, AIO's, AI2's and Hybrids.

On the blog i write for i'm currently doing video demos of most of the nappies, i've finished the flips and the ecobubs one at the mo. it will help you visualise the actual nappies a bit more.
Flips Ecobubs

One of the benefits of investing in cloth is they do have a resale value, or you can buy used to trial them out.
making your own is fun, admittedly but unless you have skill you would be pushed to sell them on. Material can be expensive too.

thanks for the vids they are very helpful!! and I love your accent!! haha

Some people are already like "cloth? really?" Some people just dont understand but I definitely want to try it.

:thumbup:
No problem!

:blush: about my accent - considering how many clients i train it very rarely get mentioned, it's a bit null and void to me! but if you heard other members of my family they have a thick local slag accent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->