New to FF, would like some advice

ourturnnext

Reaction score
I;ve decided to start formula feeding and am introducing it gradually to slow my supply down and help my LO's tummy adjust to the change. So far so good, she's wolfed down all the bottles she's had (she's never had a problem with bottles as I probably express more than actually feed off the nipple) but I'm a bit confused about a few things.

Sterilising - I've got a microwave steriliser which stays sterile for 24 hours with the lid on. Do I have to re-sterilise everything everytime I take the lid off?

Rapid cooling - is that when the bottle is run under the cold tap?

My LO won't take a cold bottle and starts spitting her bottle out when it gets too cool. With the breast milk, I just popped the bottle back into a cup of hot water to re-heat it slightly. Can I do the same with formula?

What's the best thing to do about feeding when out and about?

Can I make up a bottle and pop it in the fridge then re-heat it later in the day?

Any other tips and advice would be appreciated too! There really doesn't seem to be much info around on swapping from breast milk to formula.

I can't answer all of the questions but I'll answer what I can. :)

In the rare event my daughter refused a bottle I'd keep it out for no longer than an hour, put it in a bowl of hot water until it was warm again and try again giving it to her. If she wouldn't take it within an hour after making it up I'd throw it out.

When out and about we poured boiled water into a thermos (not sure if this brand is sold outside of Germany, but Reer makes good ones!), which would stay hot-warm for hours. We had a long road trip a couple of times and the water we'd boiled up 8hrs. earlier was still warm! So, we'd add the desired amount into her bottle, then the formula powder from the dispenser (https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31p2buqR0JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg <- something like this) when the temp. felt right and shake and feed. :)

Everyone has slightly different ways of doing things but I'll just tell you what works for us :) I sterilize half of Abby's bottles in the morning and make them all up with water that has been boiled and then cooled for 20 minutes. I then place all 3 bottles in cold water in the sink to cool down then they go in the back of the fridge. When she wants a bottle, I just boil the kettle and stand the bottle in hot water until it's at the right temperature for her. I'll make more bottles when I have one left in the fridge as that way they are never made up for more than 12 hours. If I'm going out anywhere I have two thermal bottle holders so just put them straight in there from the fridge and then take a spare premade carton & sterilized bottle if I'm going to be out for a long time. Once you get into the routine of it, ff is simple :)

Also, as for sterilizing, I also have a microwave sterilizer. I just put all the bottles together as soon as I open it - never been a problem.

How old is your baby? to start with i took the lid of put all the bottles together and put it at the back of the fridge,

If you take it out of the sterilizer it is only sterile for 6 hours. it says on the package for the microwave sterilizer. I just brought the bottle out when i needed it from the fridge. When she was older i just sterilized a load and used them from the side whenever. and sterilized 3 times a day then 2 times a day then once a day as she got older.

No you cant re heat it.

There is no reason for it to be too cold if you make it this way.

Boil the kettle start of the day fill the flask.

Measure a few bottles of water. cool it down put it in the fridge.

When its time to make a bottle say if your making a 6 ounce bottle.

Pour 3 ounces of BOILED WATER from flask add scoops shake then 3 ounces cold boiled water measured into another bottle pour it in the other bottle and shake. it is ready to serve at the right temp , try a few different ratios till you find which suits ur little one. its quicker than making them up for the day etc.

You can make them up but i dont see the point. people arnt aware of this but it says in the 0-5 guide. if you do put it in the fridge use within 24 hours. BUT your baby has 15 minutes to drink it. NOT the 2 hours if made fresh or 1 hour if it has touched your babys lips.

When out and about.

Buy this https://www.amazon.co.uk/bibi-Formula-Milk-Powder-Dispenser/dp/B00140RSS2/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

You scoop the ammount of formula you need into each section.
you can do what i mentioned above taking ur flask with you and a fridge to go bag for yoru cold water https://www.amazon.co.uk/bibi-Formula-Milk-Powder-Dispenser/dp/B00140RSS2/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

Or when there older and there in better routine,. i just make a bottle in the car and put it in my stroller basket . and i know within the 2 hours she will need it.

My daugher is 10 months old and was weaned of breastmilk at 6 months, I know what you mean about the lack of information! i found it hard to start with but this way i do it now is easy! and no hassle at all not to mention my daughters poos are alot better now i dont make it up in advance!

Thanks for those replies, they both sound like really good methods. I'll try each one and see which works best for us.

Molly's 11 weeks x

You're advised not to reheat and I didn't to begin with but I think a lot of FFing women (and both HV I spoke with) would say that making a couple in advance, in particular for the night feed will help you a great deal. I remember my HV going off on a tangent about how formula companies put the fear of god into women and in the real world we don't always have time to do it all as we go aswell as everything else. think guidelines like that are for the muppets that'd leave it on the side for a week then heat it up again, aslong as you're careful with everything you'll soon find what works best for your family. Also - I 100% recommend getting milton sterilising fluid :flower: x

the boiling water has to be hot enough to kill the bacteria in the milk. we make the bottles up fresh from the kettle and rapid cool under the cold tap or leave to stand in cold water for a few minutes. when we are out or of a night we use a flask of hot water and make up the same way. we have a little plastic container to carry the formula.

i know plenty of people who make up the bottles and store in the fridge but my baby has projectile vommited her bottle up once when i done it and it put me off doing it again haha!!

if u take the lid of the steriliser and make up all the bottles and leave them in there they stay sterile. if you take one out it stays sterile for a few hours. you dont have to resterilise each time the lid comes off.

hope this helps! i remember crying tears of frustration when i started ff cause i didnt have a clue what to do!!

i followed the World Health Organisation guidelines when making up batch feeds. These were then kept in the fridge up to 24 hours.

https://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf

i followed the World Health Organisation guidelines when making up batch feeds. These were then kept in the fridge up to 24 hours.

https://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf

This is also how we do it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back