Newbie and Wobbly

Charles+Nat

1st IVF Baby - born 35-3
Reaction score
Hiya all

Bit new to this and feeling a little sorry for myself. Could probably do with a kick up the proverbial.

Our baby Xavier (pronounced Zavier) was born 30th April at 35 wks 3days. A little premature but to be fair he is fine. A weighty 2.88kg's at birth (we live in France so I think that makes him about 6.4 ish lb's). He is very well cared for and we're just trying to get him to feed properly before we can take him home.

Nat (georgeous wife (just in case she reads this - lol)), has been through the mill. This was our third go at ICSI (type of IVF), from which Xavier was the only viable egg and then of course embryo. I still can't quite believe it :happydance:. At the 5 wk scan they said he was not fully attached so that was the start of the bed rest. At wk 27 he was pushing hard on her cervix and the Salbumol (not sure of the spelling) started. At Easter we were in for the 3rd time for contractions more tests and now shortening of the Cervix. On the 28th the contractions started and after injections horse pills etc Xavier won the battle and came out at 6.25am on the 30th April. OUCH!!!

Since then he's been attached to monitors but has escaped the need for the UV light thingie, feeding tubes or anything really scary. Yet here I am, having just left them for the night feeling confused and scared I am letting this (what is really just a necessary precaution) get to me/get me down.

I'm a soppy git I know and seeing Natalie get upset when trying to express milk or for whatever reason is horrible. Not being able to take our baby home together is at times unbearable (though I am humbled by the premature section of this site).

Feeling better just writing this though. Just re-realised our how Blooming lucky we have been. :dohh: I've deleted half of what I've written already 'cos I think I was being a bit of a self pitying numpty. It's been interesting, getting to where we are today. Nat lost her mother, I lost my father, failed IVF cycles etc, etc. But hey, there's just one more hurdle to overcome and we can be homeward bound. Bit like the littlest hobo...

Anyway, got to be there for Nat. Tomorrow is another day. Another day to see our little man grow. Hopefully he'll feed better, Nat will be at ease with the damned breast pump & his eye infection will be on the mend.

By the way, thanks for this, it's nice to be able to just put your thoughts down... Kinda like a spoon full of sugar and all that...

IMAG0566.jpg

This Xavier a couple of days old and the first time he relly opened his eyes (for all of 5 mins).

Hello charles & wow what a story, & sometimes yes its much better when you write things down i guess they become easier to understand & work round.
Firstly congrats to you & your wife Nat on xavier, i love the name & he is such a cutey pie!! Sounds like you have both been through alot recently & although at the moment you can't bring him home look at it with each day passing its a day closer to getting him home.
Wishing you all the best & little xavier of course, This site is great & i feel able to ask anyone anything & get honest answers from genuine people. If there is anything you want to rant or just ask about do so, Everyone will help xxxx

Lyn ( fellow newb )

What a difference a day makes (or a good night's sleep). Mum was happier to see a happier hubby this morning!!!

Staying at a charity run hostal attached to the mother and child hospital in Limoges and able to come to Nat when she wakes.

Xavier's Eye infection much better!:happydance:
He still sleeping a lot... :sleep:
Mum is happier and I need to find a decent breast pump. She wants / prefers to stick to a manual one as the hospital's electric job makes her feel like going MOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... plus the end cap bit is a bit small for her. (Full of technical jargon me...)

The neonatal nurse seemed to be positive about an impending discharge so :happydance::happydance: days...

Best wishes to you all we hope everything goes well for you.

:hug::hugs:

Charles & Nat

Aw wow charles that's great news about maybe coming home!!
Please let us know when your all home, And good news his infection is clearing still !

And i had to laugh about the moo bit, I bf my 1st & i used the avent hand held pump & felt like i was being milked too (which i guess i was) I found it alittle difficult to get the hang of at 1st but soon found it easier with a quiet room & to be calm etc.

xxx

awww - hey Charles, firstly great to see another man on here - I love seeing the men on here and listening to their stories, and hope that my hubby will want to be a part of this site once i get pregnant :)

Anyway, thanks for sharing with us how you are getting on. Your little man is absolutely gorgeous and it's great news that his eye infection has gone and he could be home with you soon.

Take care and look forward to hearing how you're getting on x

hello, welcome and many congratulations on your gorgeous boy x

Thanks for all your kind messages.

Read everything out to Nat. She welled up. Ooops, I was supposed to help not make it worse.

Anyway, Xavier is happier and his eyes are getting much clearer. Feeling much more positive. With the breast pump, we've been given a prescription to hire an electric one from the pharmacy in Limoges. Nat will try it but has still got this whole MOOooooo thingie going on. Spoke to her Best friend and got some advice on the whole breast pump scene. Easy to forget I've got it easy.:blush:

I'm just letting mum :sleep: for a bit, bless her she's knackered. I've been suprised how quickly things (emotions etc) get the better of you. I've not been imune so would be no good in a role as the strong silent type. :baby:

Phew!!! Fatherhood, I've had 11 days of it and wow. Wouldn't change it for the world. How is it baby's can make you melt!!!

I'm glad we've taken this journey together. From the IVF and it's ups and downs, the pregnancy which was scary (for us), through to today. Seeing his little face (save for the orange eyes from the drops) as he lies in my or Nat's arms, oooohhhhhhhhhhh I could go all mushy :blush::happydance::rofl::blush:

Anyway, I'm off. Guess what? It's feeding time :cloud9:

Hiya and welcome to BnB. Congratulations on your lil boy he is a cutie :) x

Aww congratulations he is gorgeous
Hope all three of you are ok x

:happydance:GREAT News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:happydance:

After just 13 days in hospital, the Doc's are happy with Xavier's progress / weight gain.

His eyes, awwwwwww bless him, they're much better although I worry about hurting him when putting the drops in. Mum/wife says I'm a silly billy (true).

As long his weight gain is consistant tomorrow morning and by Wednesday he regains (or as near as...) his birth weight then "Homeward bound!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:happydance::rofl::hug::happydance::rofl:

PLUS he's off ALL the monitors!!!

Nat is getting greater success with the MOOOooooo pump (her name not mine). He is feeding better straight from mum but he was awake for 2 hours today (a record) so was a but tired this evening. Bless his little cotton socks an'all.

After our little stressie moments this is just FAB!!!!!!:happydance:

Congrats!:hugs:

However, you have to be remain cautious your whole life, for the kid :) not because of health but to monitor how he become good person to society.

once again :hug: lol

:hi: Welcome to Baby and Bump!

I am glad your lovely little man is doing so well. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back