newbie has anyones little one had a inguinal hernia?

steph1377

Reaction score
hi everyone, i am so pleased i have found a forum for prem mums/dads my story is that i went into spontanous labour in june at 26 weeks and gave birth to my son 15mins later weighing 2lbs 2, thankfully i was in hospital for a bleed!! He spent 10 weeks in scbu and came home on the 3rd sept. The other day whilst changing his nappy i noticed a swelling in his groin and took him to docs who sent us straight to hospital where we found out he has a hernia and it requires surgery, aparently i have been told it s common in premies but the thought of surgery terrifies me. Has anyone else been through this with their little one?

Hi steph, my son was also born at 26weeks and has had 2 op's and one for a hernia in his groin. Its a very quick operation takes about a hour. You go with him to the theate and hand him over the the assiting nurse's! After the op they will take you to recovery to be with him until he is able to return to the ward. They should only need to keep him in over night to recover and he should be back to his old self the next day if all goes well! which it will!! It is very scary but just remember it a very routine op which they do pretty much everyday! I know you will worry! But try to go for a coffee or something while they do the operation your go nuts just waiting around! i did! and the first op my son had was quite serious and lasted 5hours and i went nuts so when he had his hernia op i knew i needed to do something to kinda take my mind of things! Good luck! xxxxxx

thank u for your reply hun, wow an hr? Sounds like its only a minor op then, how many weeks was your little one when he had the op? I think its the thought of the anasetic which scares me xx

He had his op for his hernia at bout 4months old! 1month corrected! they class it has a minor op yeah! the recover so quickly! xxxx have u gt a date for your lo op? xx

steph I cant say I have been affected but my friends 27 weeker was, and he had two ops, and hes doing grand now. Like Jade said, its regarded a simple procedure and so, so common too. :hugs:

Congratulations and stick with us, Jade & Steph . Theres lots of newbies but lots of experienced preemie mummies on here too - not a HUGE load of us but we all stick together and help! :)

He had his op for his hernia at bout 4months old! 1month corrected! they class it has a minor op yeah! the recover so quickly! xxxx have u gt a date for your lo op? xx

Thanks hun haven't got date yet got to wait for appointment to be assessed at a clinic in the hospital - he is 3 months 2 weeks or 2 weeks corrected so hopefully by the time he has his op he will be around the same age as your LO was xxxx

steph I cant say I have been affected but my friends 27 weeker was, and he had two ops, and hes doing grand now. Like Jade said, its regarded a simple procedure and so, so common too. :hugs:

Congratulations and stick with us, Jade & Steph . Theres lots of newbies but lots of experienced preemie mummies on here too - not a HUGE load of us but we all stick together and help! :)

Thank you for the reply hun its good to hear other experiences I will definately stick with you guys I just wish I had had the time to come on here throughout his hospital stay too but never seemed to have the time Im sure there will be lots of questions from me from now on though xxx

Hi, my LO was born at 28 weeks, he had a hernia and had his op at 35 weeks gestational age - because of his size, they didn't want to put him under, so he had a spinal block. I handed him over to the surgeon, who took my mobile number and called me when it was over (about 30 mins later)
LO came back bright and bubbly, they even joked he looked so well he could have made his own way back!! lol
The scar is SO neat, it's just like a little crease about 1.5inches long. They did the stitches internally. I took the dressing off on day 4 and it looked great!
He was discharged from the care of the surgeon last week :)
It's never nice to think of your LO having surgery... but it really is nothing to worry about. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->