newbie looking for support

jojo23

mum to 1 angel baby
Reaction score
Hi all, im not sure where i fit in on BNB anymore so this seemed most appropriate. My little boy Rian was born in June with a rare heart defect. he has already had 2operations and will need open heart surgery next year as well as in the future. He is quite a fussy baby considering all that has happened to him. his feeding was going great but then he got thrush and now when i try to feed him he cries hysterically. even when i put him into the position to feed him he cries. he is bottle fed because he needs to be on a high energy formula for his heart and he was taking it no problem before.... we were heading towards 4oz every3-4 hours. now im lucky if he takes 2 ounces and thats with me coaxing him and through unreal amounts of crying!!every so often he will take a really good bottle but then the next one will go back to hysterical crying.... im at the end of my tether here and dont have any support really as not many people around my home area would know anything about feeding a sick baby!! if anyone can offer a little advice i would be so grateful, however small xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hugs:

Aww congrats on your lil man, what a brave little guy, you must be so proud of him :)
Firstly, have you got the nyastan (I think that's what it's called?) for his thrush? I believe if that doesn't work you can get something else form the doctor, I'm sure my HV said it was stick on patches that go directly on the thrush but im not sure I'm afraid!
Secondly, just keep offering him milk, even every hour if he'll take it. How is he sleeping? Crankiness can also come from being over tired too.. Also, have you tried a dream feed? My son is fussy anyway but will demolish a bottle in his half asleep state!
I hope he feels better soon, hopefully that nasty thrush will be gone soon :hugs:

Aww congrats on your lil man, what a brave little guy, you must be so proud of him :)
Firstly, have you got the nyastan (I think that's what it's called?) for his thrush? I believe if that doesn't work you can get something else form the doctor, I'm sure my HV said it was stick on patches that go directly on the thrush but im not sure I'm afraid!
Secondly, just keep offering him milk, even every hour if he'll take it. How is he sleeping? Crankiness can also come from being over tired too.. Also, have you tried a dream feed? My son is fussy anyway but will demolish a bottle in his half asleep state!
I hope he feels better soon, hopefully that nasty thrush will be gone soon :hugs:

Thanks so much yep we have the nystatin and have been using in for a week. i can see an improvement on his tongue but im wondering if he has it maybe a little further down his throat. He's actually sleeping fine but wont dream feed for me never did! i have a hospital appointment tomorrow just wud love some reassurance that im not the only mother cracking up lol. im at the stage today where i cant even try to force him, he has barely enough for 24hours and ive let him sleep with the last hour just so he might wake up hungry because he doesnt wake during the night i have to wake him and then he gets really annoyed. he also has hypothyroidism and is on elthyroxin so i dont know if that could be affecting him but it didnt up until now so fingers crossed its just a bad case of thrush xxxxxxxxxxxx:hugs:

My LO has hypothyroidism too!

its a strange one for us because they think the iodine from his 2 operations caused the thyroid problem so we have to wait 6 months with him on eltyroxin and see how it goes so i dont know if its actually a condition or just an after effect of surgery!!!! but at least he's safer on it now at the moment xxxxxxxxxxxxx:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->