Newbie Question: Pregnancy and Anxiety/Depression?

bethneebabe

Mum to 2 Angels
Reaction score
My first post but I've been lurkin for a bit. My DH and I have been married for almost 4 years, together for 7.5. I am a fur-mommy to a cute little pup and kitty and DH and I are very happy together. We are both 26 and WTT until DH is out of school this May (hoping to TTC this fall). I am very excited but also really worried because I have had lifelong issues with anxiety disorders and depression. Been on medication for depression for 13 years with no problems.

I have already talked to OBGYN and regular dr. about getting pregnant and both of them said I am healthy with no health problems. But I am worried because I don't know how I would manage anxiety and pregnancy. 95% of the time I am just a normal person but that 5% of the time I want to jump out of my skin and run and hide and become physically ill. When I'm pregnant I wont be able to get away from it if I become overwhelmed! Anyone else dealing with anxiety/depression or have any advice for managing it before we TTC? Thanks a million.

Are you taking medication right now? If you are, it might pay to ask your Dr if he can change it to a pregnancy safe kind now, so you don't have to adjust to new meds aswell as a new pregnancy at the same time.
Also are there any groups run in your area for anxiety management? I went to a 7 week long group for anxiety management last summer and I found it extremely helpful, it was nice to be able to talk to others who were the same as me.

Hi Beth :wave:

I have suffered from terrible anxiety and last year I ended up house bound for 2 months because of it. I took medication (Citalopram) for 6 months but I am now off it, albeit rather reluctantly. Thats not to say that I am not coping without it, I just miss it sometimes since it kept me so calm and was my comfort blankie I think.
I had to come off them since my doctor advised to be off any medication when TTC, I was planning April, hence I came off them but this has now been moved to September after my wedding. (My OH wanted to do things properly - how sweet)

I also tried councelling, but found my councellor a little difficult and about as interested in my problems as watching paint dry :rofl: but thats not to say it won't work for you, have you looked into anxiety groups or councelling?

For me it was a case of making myself do things that made me uncomfortable and just get on with things as I found when I thought about it I would get upset and stress myself out but when I just do it its never as bad as I think. So far I seem to be ok and coping.

Try not to worry, I think you will be anxious when pregnant anyway as this is natural but you may be suprised with how well you handle things, I think when you are nurturing another life and turning into a mum you learn to cope with more as you grow. (Atleast thats what I'm hoping for!)

Good luck xxxxx If you ever need to chat we are all here :hugs:

Hi Bethneebabe. I have had anxiety and depression since my school-days, and have been on citalopram to control them for the last couple of years. I am hoping to TTC this April or May, and am coming off my meds slowly in preparation. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's easier than I expected. I'm trying to do it with no meds at all, but if necessary I think there are some pregnancy-safe meds for anxiety/depression.

A couple of things that have helped me are 1) understanding what exactly is going on in my body during a panic attack and 2) hypnotherapy. I have a raft of other tactics for keeping calm, like lavender essential oil dabbed on my cuff for me to sniff if I start panicking.

Talk to you doc, make sure that what you take is okay. I know many women that suffered like we have and then have been fine, before during and after pregnancy. What ever the situation, you can do it and you can handle it. Take care, and good luck XXX

Just thanking plutoblue as she has such great words of wisdom. I have quite a few pearls myself, I will try to get them together and make a post one day, anything we can do to help each other is great

I have anxiety and depression and been on medication for it, if you need to take it when pregnant do because a healthy mum is a healthy child.

I came off mine when i was pregnant because i felt i could handle it, i have done fantastically well and not needed it at all! I found that being pregnant gave me something to concentrate on. saying that, i have had some down times but have managed to get through it. at the end of the day you need to trust who you are and how you can cope.

My SIL as been a jealous bitch since i had my baby and thats getting me really down now, if i need to go back on i will. just trust yourself hun and you will be fine!

I have anxiety and depression and been on medication for it, if you need to take it when pregnant do because a healthy mum is a healthy child.

I came off mine when i was pregnant because i felt i could handle it, i have done fantastically well and not needed it at all! I found that being pregnant gave me something to concentrate on. saying that, i have had some down times but have managed to get through it. at the end of the day you need to trust who you are and how you can cope.

My SIL as been a jealous bitch since i had my baby and thats getting me really down now, if i need to go back on i will. just trust yourself hun and you will be fine!

Gosh, don't let a horrible person put you on tablets! You have come so far reading you. Jealousy is your SIL problem, let her take the tablets! Big :hugs:

Thanks so much for the support! I know that it is easy to feel alone with anxiety and depression so I am glad I found some super cool ladies here!

I am currently on a low dose of lexapro that my doctors say is okay to continue with during pregnancy. She said that the minimal side effects from taking lexapro are a lot less than having me be super anxious and putting stress on the baby-to-be. I also have a therapist that I go to and I think I am going to switch because I want to talk about the anxiety related to trying to start a family and she keeps wanting me to talk about other stuff. We wont be TTC until this fall (or when DH gets a job post-graduation) so she wants to talk about it then. No. I want to talk about it now! (Gee, is my clock ticking?)

I have the most amazing family and in-laws but we live about 12 hours away from family and there are limited job opportunities that would make it possible for us to move closer to home. I am so worried about doing this without a family support network close by.

You are definately not alone! There are a lot of people that deal with anxiety and depression issues, myself included. I think it is important to have a support network like you mentioned but that doesn't necessarily have to only be your family. Making connections with other mom's to be through prenatal classes and prenatal yoga or swimfit etc. can help you to find others that may be having LO's around the same time, then you can continue to help eachother when your LO's arrive. Also, don't forget you have all of us here to help and support you as best we can! :)

I think its great that you have felt able to reach out to folks at this time. I wish, when I pregnant, and when I had my wee ones, I had found this group!

For me, it was very very helpful to talk to women who felt like I did. And its still helpful. I am on fluoxetine, and it has worked wonders for me. Keep in close contact with doctors and nurses...explore websites that discuss depression before/during/after pregnancy...look into hypnotherapy...(I went for hypnotherapy and learned about "tapping" - a simple technique that keeps me calm! But, ofcourse, make sure its safe for pregnancy before doing it)....Keep in touch, and know you are not alone!

Zaidagal

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->