Newbie with some questions

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Arcanegirl, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Arcanegirl

Arcanegirl Bazinga!!

Hey guys, im over these sections finally and i need some help already :blush:

Soley BFing atm but having a litte trouble, He doesnt open his mouth wide enough and as a result im getting blistered nipples. The only times he does open his mouth wide enough he goes rigid and away from me.

Any tips to help with this?

2. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

Merv's Mum gave me a good tip yesterday because I've been having the same problem - pinch your nipple together at the areola and push it into his mouth when he opens it so he doesn't have to open it too wide. I've sort been shoving the pinched bit in which she seemed surprised about at first but it's worked really well! :)

3. NatalieW

NatalieW Well-Known Member

My comunity midwife also suggested, slightly pulling down on his chin to make it wider but I can't work out that one, I don't seem to have three hands!

4. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

I tried that as well Natalie but my LO is pretty strong and I can't get her jaw to move at all! :dohh:

5. NatalieW

NatalieW Well-Known Member

I can't do it so I given up on that one, so I'll try the pinching one thank you x

6. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

I second the sandwiching the nipple, it helped me a lot.

7. kellysays2u

kellysays2u Guest

They told me from the moment I first started in the hospital to sandwhich the nipple... they actually yelled at me if i didn't cause I thought she was opening wide enough... She has a very teeny mouth though and my nipple are HUGE. So I sandwhiched. She doesnt latch on anymore though. Still goes right for the boob when shes hungry but wont actually eat from it she closes her mouth until she gets a bottle... :(

8. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

Sandwiching as above and also brushing the tip of your nip between his nose and top lip - this should get him to put his head back more and open up. Then flick the sandwiched breast in - give him quite a gob full. It's not easy at first.

9. Logiebear

Logiebear Mum to 4 darlings

I third the sandwhich the nipple thing. I do it and it helps a lot with Hannah xxx

10. CapitalChick

CapitalChick Mommy to 1 and preggo!!!

Get yourself to a lactation consultant or a breastfeeding clinic ASAP!!! They can help resolve these problems in a matter of minutes. It's extremely difficult to solve these problems over forums. You need someone to show you. LCs are just amazing at what they do. Go and see one!!

11. milkmachine

milkmachine Formally uv

sandwich flicky nose thing helped me too

12. Brockie

Brockie Well-Known Member

yep brush his/her nose with your nipple and baby should stretch their mouth open more to latch xxx it can be a little tricky first few days but you will get the hang of it hon, speak to your MW if unsure she should help you, mine was great and would sit with me till i was happy he was on xx

13. mrscookie

mrscookie Mama and expecting

Deffo sandwich! Just shove that sucker right on in there and hope for the best. He will learn to open wide soon enough because he will get more milk that way too.
    xx

14. mrs shine

mrs shine Well-Known Member

I sandwiched too, I also used to keep it sandwiched and push a little bit more in everytime he opened his jaw to drink