Newborn - cluster feed but then going longer periods without feeding - should I wake?

Kmx

Reaction score
My newborn (5 days old) has been feeding very frequently the past two days - which I know is normal but what I don't know is normal is that she goes 4 hours at night. I'm not sure if I should wake her? Or express my milk to up my supply?

During the day she'll be off and on my boob most of the day. Between 8-11 last night she was mostly on. But then I went to bed at 11 expecting to be up in an hour or two and she woke up at 3am. I fed her for 25 mins and she fell asleep until 7am.

So basically my question is whether this is ok and the cluster feeding is making up for the longer stretches or should I wake her/pump even tho she's happy & sleeping.

When BF my son I remember it being very constant even during the night. I felt exhausted So this just seems a bit wrong & I'm worried about my milk supply now.

Emma was the same. She did 4 hour stretches at night at that age, but was on the boob all day.

Now she can do 7-8 hours at night, feed, then sleep another 4 hours.

She's my best night sleeper yet! My supply has been wonderful and she's gone up a centile in weight.

Thanks. I'm not too concerned about her as she's got lots of wet nappies. Just worried the long stretch may effect my milk supply. I really want BF to work.

I understand, breastfeeding is very important to me also :). It hadn't had any negative effects on my supply but it doesn't hurt to wake and feed them in the early weeks if you're worried or getting full/having letdowns. I will wake her during the day if she naps too long.

Count your blessings and sleep. I haven't slept more than three hours since my daughter was born. When we were still in the hospital the doctor told us that as long as she's gaining weight we don't need to wake up for feedings. She does it herself though. Up every two hours, three if I'm extra lucky.

As long as they're eating 8-12 times a day they're fine. This baby does the same thing which is unlike my other two. She'll cluster feed and then not eat for about 4 hours. Last night she went 6 hours!

My 2 were EBF . My youngest is 6 months old . She too loved to eat alot during the day and from day one would sleep longer stretches at night 4-5 hours ... I'd say count your blessings and let her sleep !! Wouldn't go past 4-5 hours though and I'd wake her up .
My 6.5 little bundle is now thriving :)

I also never had any issue with my supply and I didn't pump between feeds ... I took advantage and slept !!

Thanks. She was very sleepy yesterday so I woke her after 4 hours last night then since 5am she's fed hourly so I think she's making up for yesterday.

I did ask the phn ( visiting nurse ) if babies its could sleep too much as little Pink would have slept round the clock if let !

Mine done the same at that age and it didn't effect my milk supply. We still bf now :)

My pediatrician said until they're like a month or two don't let them go more than 4-5 hours of no eating, and as long as they're back to their birth weight. 5 days old is still so little so I'd personally wake them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->