Newborn Milk Intake?

polo_princess

♥ Brookes Mummy ♥
Reaction score
Brooke seems to guzzle milk like theres no tomorrow already .. she took 30mls in the hospital on her very first feed :rofl:

Im giving her 2/2.5oz every perhaps 3 hours but ive been pretty much left to it on my own, as you know i got sent straight home from hospital and have seen one midwife one time, and not my usual one either she seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet now Brooke is here :hissy: So not a huge deal of advice or help from anyone :hissy:

She just seems hungry so often at only 3 days old, should i up the ounces? Leave her be? I really have no idea how much they should be having at just a few days old, im just letting her go with what she wants.

If shes drinking all the milk in her bottle every time then i would add another oz of milk in the bottle. At her age, the babys stomach is only the size of a walnut, so they can only feed little and very often. It will change soon, but in the mean time i would increase each feed by an oz.

Congrats on your LO!

They feed erratic I dont know about bottle feeding but my LO was on my boob all day and night! Someone on here will know more though...

we started maddi on bottles at 3days old and she had 3oz, 6 times a day, if we can remember! (me and james were just trying to think for you holly). so you could up it to 3oz if you preferred, and i'm sure at that age maddi was feeding on demand about every 2hours and then twice at night. huge congratulations again sweetie and :wohoo: your in baby and toddler now x x x

Also, when jack was a new born, i remember making 6-8 bottles in the morning, and the same at night, so he had loads of feeds at that age. He never really took much at a feed tho.

Also, when jack was a new born, i remember making 6-8 bottles in the morning, and the same at night, so he had loads of feeds at that age. He never really took much at a feed tho.

very true, sometimes they don't finish them and then want another one pretty soon after x

Hi & congrats

Rihanna downed 40mls on her first feed in hospital and after 2 days was taking 2 oz every 3-4 hrs and after about 2 week started to take a little more. When I first got home I made her 3oz and she used to nearly always take two and she up'd the auntie on her own, once she is regularly draining the bottle, start making an extra oz up over what she is taking... just go with the flow hun, I did and Rihanna is fine.

You will have her weighed regularly and that will give you the indication :)

Take care xx

i made up 3oz bottles, she sometimes drank them others not she fed every 3 hours at 3 weeks feds every 2 through day on 4oz then goes through night on one feed

Lou
xxx

Awww, Congrats!!

My LO was drinking 2 oz until about a month. I didn't up it until she would scream and let me know she wanted more, that she wasnt satisfied. And she grew and grew. So I would say use your judgment, if it looks like she is still hungry, feed her more :)

My sister said that when her LO started draining a bottle regularly, she would make them up with an extra oz the next day. If Brooke was breast fed she'd be getting it on demand so I wouldnt worry that she seems to be feeding alot - I'd do the same - just give her it if she's hungry! (dunno if thats technically correct so hope I dont get shouted at....:shy:)

If i remember rightly Olivia used to have 3oz every 3-4 hours

x

PP I always fed on demand with LO 2.5 oz @ 3 hours is excellent she is no doubt getting enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confettiblue
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->