newborn not pooing

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
My dd is 4 days old and hasn't pood in 48hours. Is this normal?

Is she having plenty of wet nappies? Has your milk come in properly yet? xxx

^^yes, how are the pees and has your milk come in?

how often are you nursing?

EBF babies can go up to 10 days without pooping, I was told. As long as they're drinking and producing wet nappies they should be fine. Just be aware that a lot can come out in a short time after a long break! DD recently had a 4 day break then got through five bodies in one day!

She is having 4-6 wet nappies maybe and my milk came in today

In the early days, what they eat is so scrummy yummy that they don't waste a drop by turning it into a poopey nappy!

Wet nappies is what you need to see & 4-6 is great! & Now your milk is in you'll see some poop I'm sure.

Did your Lo have 3 poops on day 3? If not then I would check to see if your LO has a tongue tie and is possibly not getting enough milk. It can be normal though.

It's abnormal for BF babies to skip days when pooing before 4-6 weeks of age and it usually indicates a problem. However as your milk is just coming in I would suggest waiting another day and then if baby still hasn't pooed perhaps go to your GP. It's likely baby will be weighed tomorrow anyway and the main worry with them not pooing is poor milk transfer which results in excessive weight loss, if it's within 10% then it is of less concern and may just be one of those things. My second youngest had very erratic bowel movements in the early days but with him it turned out to be a dairy intolerance though it is incredibly rare for it to cause a problem so early xx

She was weighed yesterday and lost 5%. She does have a shallow latch which we are working on. Wonder if she's not getting enough :-/

With a shallow latch have you had her checked for tongue tie? As that can affect the latch.

No tongue tie. Checked by 2 people. But very short tongue apparently

According to NHS guidelines they should be weighing no sooner than day 5 as this gives a better indication. A 'short' tongue could be a posterior or sub mucosal tongue tie, very few are trained in looking for these even many lactation consultants. The HVs and BF support workers in this area have been trained to look for them but this is very recent and in most areas this is not the case. My sister in law's baby he just looked like he had a short tongue but he has a tongue tie it's just under the floor of his mouth. I would ask for baby to be reweighed tomorrow if possible though it may be the case weight has dropped a bit further this is normal as long as it's still within the 10%, and if it's still within the 10% it's unlikely baby isn't getting enough xx

I have her heal prick so I'll ask for her to be weighed again

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->