Newborn size or straight to 000? Opinions please!

Indi Ocean

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm a ftm and can't decided if I should bother with newborn sizing or not. Bub is estimated to be around 3.2kg (7lbs) so slightly smaller than average.

Even though she's smallish, I'm wondering if I could skip newborn sizes or will she be absolutely swimming in 000? I don't mind if they're a little big but obviously not so it's impractical or looks ridiculous ha!

What do you mummies think? Worth getting some newborn pieces or skip them all together? x

I'm not sure what 000 sizes are in the uk we have tiny baby (under 7lbs) new born (up to 10) and 0-3 up to 14lbs. My daughter was in new born for 2 months and at the start they were huge on her. Absolutely no way she could have gone in 0-3. What's the weight size on 000? X

Forgot to mention she was 6.12 at birth and put on weight fast she was 7.4 at 12 days old. I definitely recommend new born sizes if you know you're not having a 10lber x

Hiya, thanks for the advice! Oh umm I have no idea about the weight referencing, they must do it differently here in Aus. The 0000 is called 'newborn size' and 000 is recommended for 0-3months.

The newborn size really is tiny! For stretchy onesies, I thought it possible to get away with 000 (0-3months). Bonds seems to be super stretchy as well, so I could maybe get away with that?

Maybe I should get a few newborn onesies just to be on the safe side.

Yes I think that's the best idea get a few to take to the hospital with you (if you're having a hospital birth) and if you need any more I'm sure someone will be able to get some more for you.
I think a lot of people look at new born and think its tiny and over estimate how big there babies are, usually babies are tiny! You could ask any of your friends in aus what they did with their babies? X

My little man was 7lbs 5ozs & was in newborn for about 2 months if I can remember correctly. He did lose 12% of his weight as took some time for breastfeeding to get established but I definately recommend getting newborn stuff.

DD was 8lbs 10oz and was in newborn for a week, more so because she was so tall. This one is measuring big already so I have 5 newborn sleepers and if I need more I'll send my mom to get some. I have a huge stockpile of 0-3m.

I had a big boy last time and newborn didn't fit at all, I found first size/up to 1 month (up to 10/11lb) a really useful size and 0-3 .
I've not bought any newborn this time but I've been given a bit.
Xx

Both of my kids were born 6 pounds 12 ounces 19.25 inches and they were swimming in their newborn clothes for the first month or so. Then gradually they fitted perfectly and maybe got too snug around their 3rd month or so.

Before I start rambling, yes, you will need newborn clothes unless you expect a bigger, and longer baby. Even expecting a 10 pounder, have at least a couple newborn outfits.

I told people not to bother getting me newborn because it was estimated I would have a 10 pounder. Newborn here is roughly 8lbs. She was born 8lbs 7oz and fit in newborn for a couple weeks, 0-3 was just really big on her. I just went out and got a few onesies, no outfits, for that time frame. Definitely recommend a few

My little girl is 3 weeks old and was 7lbs 10 born and is still in new born clothes.

My dd was in newborn clothes for about 3 months. They are worth it in my opinion.

I have quite a few newborn sleepsuits (inc some Bonds wondersuits!) but tried to avoid overbuying and/or going for outfits. I then have both day clothes and pjs in 0-3 month size. It is hard to know how much to get... Not to mention the fact that the sizing certainly isn't universal! I have 'newborn' Koala Baby brand stuff that I bought online.. Unfortunately it is SMALLER than Carters preemie sizing! So irritating.

My LO is estimated to be a bit smaller(wasn't told an estimated birth weight, but she was 26th percentile at my last ultrasound) so I did get some newborn. Nothing more than some onesies and sleepers, as I doubt we will be out much and she will be swaddled when sleeping. If I remember correctly I was even able to have my DS in newborn for a week or two(he was 8lb 9oz)
Of course I'm taking some newborn and 0-3 month to the hospital with me, just in case she grew faster than they expected :)

Unless you are expecting a baby with macrosomia, go for the 0000. My kids were 3.3 and 3.6kg and 000 would have looked hilariously huge.

0000 often fits up to 54-56cm here which is pretty long.

Newborn does look tiny, but newborn babies ARE rather small! Mine both fit some prem/0t0000 stuff too.

This is Thomas at 4 days old in a newborn (0000) outfit. It was baggy and his feet didn't reach into the feet of the suit:

https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/a31cefiro/DSCF1512-1.jpg

Here he is at 5 days old in a prem bodysuit (00000):

https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/a31cefiro/DSCF1540-1.jpg

Popping over from second trimester;)

With DD I bought one newborn sleeper and everything else 0-3 because I looked at the newborn sizes and thought that they were too tiny. DD was 7lb 5oz and my family went out and bought a bunch of newborn sleepers and a few outfits because she swam in 0-3. One of my friends even bought me 2 premie outfits that she fit in for about 2-3 weeks. She was in newborn for about 2 months.

I am having the same issues with buying clothes for this baby though! Lol I've gotten 2 newborn sleepers and a few onesies. I may get a few more sleepers and then wait and see when she is born what we need

I would buy a limited number until you know the weight and length of your baby. My DD was almost 9lbs and very long so she only did a couple of weeks in them. My DS was nearly 10lbs and also long, he was pushing the feet on sleepsuits from birth so he didn't really wear them at all. This time I just have the newborn stuff I kept but have also got some up to one month which I never realised existed and I will take some of those to the hospital.

I would buy a limited number until you know the weight and length of your baby. My DD was almost 9lbs and very long so she only did a couple of weeks in them. My DS was nearly 10lbs and also long, he was pushing the feet on sleepsuits from birth so he didn't really wear them at all. This time I just have the newborn stuff I kept but have also got some up to one month which I never realised existed and I will take some of those to the hospital.

It was pretty limited to Next and a couple of other places when I had DS but it seems to have taken off and is available nearly everywhere now.

xx

Thank you so much for all the advice ladies! :flower:

I've ordered some newborn sleepers, short sleeved onesies and newborn singlets....so I should be sorted!

Thank you for sharing your photos minties (of your ridiculously adorable bub)...I see what you mean!! You have me 100% convinced I need newborn sizes haha!

Another question....I bought a box of 108 newborn nappies. Do you think I'll need another box of newborns or just regular? xo

My little boy was 8lb 6oz when he was born, so he was considered a 'big' baby and even newborn sizes were big on him. He was in newborn clothes for a good month or so as well so I have got about 10 newborn sleepsuits for this baby, I haven't really bothered with 'outfits' this time though, I just got some nice sleepsuits that he can wear as daytime outfits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->