Newborn struggles

Missbb2591

Reaction score
I had my baby just over 12 hours ago and he latched and fed great. Since about midnight he’s latching great and trying but then fussing and coming off but is still hungry. When I’m trying to hand express there’s nothing there but there was earlier when he was feeding well. I’m stumped and he’s hungry :cry: any advice?

It might be that your breasts are needing to catch up with his demand. Newborns will feed a lot in order to boost the initial supply. Colostrum is quite difficult for them to get as well it doesn't have the flow behind it that milk does. Keeping well hydrated should help too, I was on a drip during labour and went through multiple jugs of water in the post natal ward! What nappies are you using? If you have the ones with the blue line they'll help you to see if he is weeing. It took my LG a day or two to consistently get the hang of it, is there a midwife/health visitor who can check that he's getting enough? I can't see which country you are in on my phone, we get post natal home visits for first 10 days here. Congratulations :)

I had this with my second she fed once then wouldn't again, she would latch, suck 2-4 times then fuss and unlatch, the midwives gave me a pump and I fed her with a syringe (and a bottle against their advice but I wasn't personally bothered if I breastfed or not) whilst still putting her to the breast until my milk came in then she fed like a pro! Congratulations too!

Thanks ladies, we are doing better now and I’m topping up with a bottle if he needs it but he’s still latching like a pro and is feeding from me more than a bottle so we are getting there! I’m hoping once my milk is in we can ditch the bottle altogether.

Let him latch on and off. But remember, for the first 24 hours or so, he's tired too. Labor is hard on babies. With both of my kids I had right after they were born (my first was whisked away into the NICU), they were very alert for the first couple of hours, but mostly sleepy for the next 24 - waking only to attempt a latch every now and then but not eat much. I asked the nurses about it and they said it was normal.

contact La Leche League if you need help! Its FREE BFing help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->