Newly pregnant and emetophobia

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
Hello all! I just got my bfp this evening and have been having an uneasy stomach the last few days and I have emetophobia (extreme fear of nausea/vomiting) - yes it can sound silly but believe me, it sends me into complete panic and sends me into becoming afraid to leave home.

Any other preggos or moms suffer from this?

I keep reminding myself I survived our first pregnancy and I'll be okay again this time.

Hello! A fellow emetephobe here, it's horrible isn't it :( but congratulations on your pregnancy!

I'm 14 weeks tomorrow, so I've just gone through the first trimester and honestly, it has been tough. I've had all day, severe nausea but not much vomiting as I opted for medication. Its been a tough road for me (and I'm still feeling horribly sick) but I keep trying to remember that I'm not ill and that even if I'm sick for 9 months, it's not forever. People are sick for horrible reasons and at least sickness in pregnancy is a good sign!

I am not anti-medication in pregnancy and I had a long discussion with my doctor and was prescribed Ondanestron (Zofran in America). I'm on the lowest dose and it's stopped me from actually being sick mostly. It's helped me cope mentally knowing I probably won't throw up even if the nausea is bad. So if you feel similarly, don't be afraid to speak to your doc. And for me, just keep talking to supportive loved ones, cry if you need too and try distract yourself the best you can!

Hi Sonny, thank you for your reply! It's good to hear I'm not the only one on here that has emetophobe, most people I've ever tried to open up about it just look at me like I'm crazy.

Sorry you're still feeling so lousy at 14 weeks. I remember with my first feeling nauseous up until delivery! It's a good reminder that it's not forever, that it's our bodies growing pregnancy. I took Zofran with my DD, I'm really hoping my new doctor will give me something for this go around too.

Thank you for the advice. I plan to talk to my dr tomorrow because the anxiety meds I have are contraindicated so I have to do a med switch around anyways. So glad my husband understands my fear. When he caught our DD's GI bug during the summer I remember him laying on the couch and rubbing *my* back while I was crying telling him how freaked I was that he was now ill.

Oh that's good to hear you have a supportive hubby! You really need it with phobias as you know they are irrational but you can't help it! My OH is also very supportive, he never makes me feel stupid or anything, just gives me a hug and looks after me! Makes such a difference!

I totally get you with being upset at your husband getting ill! When my OH caught a stomach bug recently, I was more upset than him! I went on a disinfecting rampage and washed my hands so much they hurt! I totally just feel sick as soon as I hear that someone has been ill. When my colleague says she's been up all night with her vomiting child, I feel sick and worry about it for the rest of the day! It's such a frustrating phobia!

Sorry to hear you felt nauseous your whole pregnancy, I'm slightly concerned this may be me! How did you find labour? That's my next concern..!

Oh my word - I can't even handle when others tell me they've been sick. Like if they're pregnant I'm like "oh man, I sympathize." But if it's due to a bug they best get away from me and my stomach starts churning like mad. Thank you thank you for understanding! It's like fresh air knowing you know where I come from with this phobia.

Labor was difficult for me because I had pre-e and because my bp was so high they wouldn't let me move around, I had to just lay there. I requested Zofran the moment I felt my stomach start to get nervous and they gave me some through an IV and it hit fast so nausea wise in labor was none and excellent.

Oh, that's good to know. I'm going to make sure every midwife in the hospital knows I need regular anti-sickness :) I've had Zofran via IV before, worked an absolute treat from what I recall. I wish I could be on a permanent drip for it for morning sickness! Had a rough day today, literally sat at my desk at work shaking all afternoon, ugh. I'm 14 weeks today, enough sickness thank you!

And no problem, it is hard explaining emetephobia as no-one likes being sick so people just assume that's what you mean! :( I wish it was! I'd love to be able to just get on with it like most people!

Oh gosh that's so hard. I hope you have a better day tomorrow. The last doctor I told about my phobia told me "well no one likes to get sick" and I was like "duh, but do they have a full on panic attack just thinking about it?" :nope:

Hi Mrs Dragonfly

I feel your pain. I was exactly the same as you a few years back and it got so restrictive and I got fed up with all day panic attacks that I got some help. CBT was really useful for me and I don't think I could have thought about getting pregnant without it. That said it's taken us ages to get pregnant and I have still struggled a bit in this pregnancy despite relatively mild symptoms.

No real advice to give but wanted to share you are not alone.

Mini xxx

Thanks Mini. I do want to find counseling help, it's just hard finding the right match. Most counselors haven't really understood my fear and there's just a ton of talk that I feel doesn't get us anywhere. I wont give up though, still looking!

Do you find there are any coping strategies that help you in the moment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->