NHS Trust stops funding free formula in hospitals

lynnikins

Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...Trust-withdraws-free-formula-milk-babies.html

yes yes its a Daily Fail article but, after reading it then its not all so bad as what the headlines would make you think, they are planning and implementing plans to educate new mums about both BF and bottle feeding properly

Its allready in place in some NHT trust. I think if you plan on bottle feeding from birth you will allready have everything in you will need so taking a few cartons in your bag wont be that much extra stress.

you should check the fuss its creating in the second tri forum lol

I stay out of those threads, im sat right in the middle since i had to combi feed lol

A lot of people in 2nd tri seem to be upset about this ... I don't see that it's wrong, I wouldn't expect to be given free formula for the baby.

x

This is my local trust in the article (Hull & East Riding) and I honestly don't see the fuss about it but hey it would not effect me so cannot really comment I guess :shrug:

Don't think I will check out 2nd tri... if they start dissing bf then i might get cross :growlmad: :haha:

oh yeah the BF threads in there get heated lol, i seem to remember my MW 's telling me if i wanted to FF i had to take my own into hospital and they would provide the bottles,

I've never understood why you get free formula in the hospital.

Me either? The NHS pays for a heck of a lot - and if cut backs are virulent across the public sector, then surely something's gotta give? If you plan on FF, you just have to buy formula anyway, so not sure what the big deal is losing the money for one jar / packet?

It also seems to fly in the face of the pro BF message.

There was no formula available at the birth centre I had Ruby in. There was sterilising equipment and syringes which I think is fair enough but no bottles and no formula.

I was told that all hospitals and MW centers in my area were 'bring your own'. They did say that should I have any problems BFing, they would provide FF where necessary. I think thats fair enough. Not even because of the pro-BF stance they take - why should it be free?? We don't expect free nappies, wipes or cotton wool :shrug:

aparently some of the second tri mums seem to think it should all be free lol theres a thread about the dificulty in one hospital to get an epidural as well , and they cost ALOT more than formula so you can see why the hospitals dont hand them out like candy

I checked out the 2nd tri thread - 'the baby is a paitent and should be fed too' WTF! Lynnikins - loved your comment about extra for BFing mothers :haha:

I love how those threads always mention BF mafia or nazi! In real life, the majority of people just don't care!!

Surely its better for the money to be spend on teaching people how to FF than being spen on formula. When the HV came round she went through how to correctly make and store a bottle (combi fed) but nothing about when to up her milk and when to change teat sizes and she was nearly two weeks old at the time.

Most people are out in 6-12 hours anyway so its not like they need to bring loads with them.

I can imagine why these second trimesters would get a bit mad, before i had my lo and heard that there would be no formula i felt a bit stressed- crazy! as i think at the time i lacked confidence in being able to feed my lo sufficiently.

I think it's fair enough, I don't see why they should provide it for people who CHOOSE to ff...although I suppose they do have a point in the baby is the patient etc...tey should have it there incase there are unexpected problems etc.

It would also be good if they didn't just hand it out, we had formula pushed on us when we were having trouble in the first place, perhaps we'd have been more successful if it hadn't been eadily available

Personally I see it as the baby is a patient and if the mother wants to FF then so be it. And the NHS should provide it.
I fear it is the start of errosion within the NHS. Oh your only going in for day surgery bring a packed lunch, to then you better tell your family / friends to bring food to you as you choose to eat.

It seems fair enough to me, I brought my own nappies, cotton wool, etc so why not formula if that's what I wanted to do? Having said that I am glad they are keeping emergency supplies as my LO got a bit of formula in hospital when I was finding BFing really hard and it made the world of difference.

I think that its a bit unfair, towards the end of Ellies stay in NICU I ran out of milk and had to stop expressing and had to move onto formula, I didnt stop BF cause I wanted it I had no other choice, I understand that yes you should take your own but I think that this will only make people who cant BF feel even worse that they already do, if that makes sense xx

I think that its a bit unfair, towards the end of Ellies stay in NICU I ran out of milk and had to stop expressing and had to move onto formula, I didnt stop BF cause I wanted it I had no other choice, I understand that yes you should take your own but I think that this will only make people who cant BF feel even worse that they already do, if that makes sense xx

This kind of stuff would still be covered, as would if there are any issues with BFing that makes it not possible. I think they are aiming it at 'the general public' so to speak, who plan to FF from the start and expect the hospital to provide it.

My baby club provide tea and coffee - should they also provide FF? The doctors surgery also provide tea, coffee, water - should they too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->