NHS Waiting lists

Tinks85

Reaction score
Hi

Hubby and I are hoping to be referred for IVF in Feb, doesn't look like we will be able to do IUI :growlmad:. We are in the Blackpool/Lancashire area.

Does anyone know what the waiting times are for treament to start?? We were told that it takes around 3 months to get a consultation but am I right in thinking that is when you go on the waiting list??? I know if does change depanding on what part of the UK you live in but I just want an idea. It is starting to really stress me out not knowing so any indication would be great.

I am having a HyCoSy soon, I have to call when I get AF and having all my bloods done.

I have tried to do some research on IVF but TBH its stressed me out more. Any advise or information to help us start our IVF journey would be wonderfull

Hope its ok im in here. I have experince of this. I was refered to cardiff hospital. When i was diagnosed with 2 blocked tubes in november and told IVF was my only option. I was told that 1st appointment would take 6 month and then once accepted the wait was 1 year. However I was diagnosed in november 08 and my 1st appointment was in febuary. So 3 months. Then they pushed it to may then i had to change it to september. I was so upset. Luckly for me i conceived naturally in the june. SO it turned out luck was on my side.

Hey hun

If you know where you might be referred to for treatment, you could look on the fertilityfriends website - they breakdown the UK by area and hospital so you could find the clinic you would be under and post on there? The PCT i'm under is 1 year but the one i've been transferred to is 2 years - it varies so much.

Good luck x

Thanks girls, thats a great help. There is so much to take in and I just want to know where we stand, you will all know what I mean :hugs:

Littleblonde yours is a lovely and such a nice happy ending. Its what I am praying for each day.

Thanks again for your advice :thumbup:

Tinks, can you find out which fertility clinics you will be able to choose from? You could call the hospital where you are having tests done and ask which clinics they can refer you to. Then I would call those clinics and find out the waiting times. It will give you an idea at least as to what you are in for.

We were given a choice of 6 and while we were still waiting to have HSG and the screening blood tests for HIV and hep b/c etc I rang up the ones we were thinking about. We had narrowed it down to three based on accesibility and then looked at the waiting times. One was 2 months for a consultation and then a waiting list time of around 6 months to start. However, the other two I rung said the first consultation could be the week after they receive the referral letter and then we could start treatment on our next cycle. Needles to say that had a huge influence on which one we chose. It really helped me though as I had no idea if we were looking at2 months or a year!!!!

LWH has NO waiting list :shock:

Once we were refered we got our 'first step' open evening 4 weeks from that date (7th Oct). From this evening we both needed screening bloods taken for HIV and Hep C and B (I think) three days later.

Our next appointment is on the 8th November (Monday, almost 4 weeks from the open evening) and from this appointment we ring with my next period and that cycle we will start DR :dance:

So from being refered to actual treatment will should be waiting around 3 / 4 months (depending if we have to miss Dec due to christmas dates clashing).

:flower: x x x x

Wow, you girls have cheered me up so much!!! Thanks. Will make some phone calls ASAP :hugs:

I am currently having tests at Blackpool Vic but not sure were we will have to go for the IVF. Whats LWH mayybe2010?? I see your in north west as well :thumbup: Did you look at St Marys in Manchester???

Wow, you girls have cheered me up so much!!! Thanks. Will make some phone calls ASAP :hugs:

I am currently having tests at Blackpool Vic but not sure were we will have to go for the IVF. Whats LWH mayybe2010?? I see your in north west as well :thumbup: Did you look at St Marys in Manchester???

LWH is Liverpool Women's Hospital, we didn't even look anywhere else just went straight there, it's only 10 minutes up the road lol

:flower:

I am keeping everything crossed that LWH doesn't suddenly get bombarded :haha: It would be great if we could get in there, its an hour to an and a half drive away but so is Manchester. Liverpool appeals more to me as one of my sisters use to live there and i have been quite a few times.

I will keep everything crossed for you amd looking forward to following your journey :hugs:

Thanks hun, yeah I've neve heard anything bad about it :)
Hour and half? Long trips you're gona be having !!

:kiss:

I know, we live in Fleetwood which is about 10 miles from Blackpool Hospital but the travelling is the least of my worries at the min, will have to save for the petrol mind :haha:

Oh god I never thought of the cost of petrol :dohh: lol

The clinics we considered were both an hour away! The alternative was only 20 mins but has massive waiting lists, the others could see us straight away!

Hi Tinks85, your need to find out who your PCT use as a IVF provider.. Will it be Liverpool or St Marys? You could ring your PCT and ask them, they will be able to provide you with details..

The problems lies with the PCT not the hospitals re waiting times. The PCT release monies to the hospital to fund IVF cycles, the hospitals commit to treating you once monies are there for your treatment. Getting the monies to the hospital is the PCT decision and how long that takes depends on what budgets and funding the PCT have in place.. (That is where the waiting list is)
The hospital normally can see you pretty quick once funds are there for your treatment.

The best bet would be to speak direct to the personalised care section at your PCT and ask how long it takes to be referred and treated and where treatment will take place. There the ones who know as and when patients are going to be referred.

I hope this helps..

Good luck xx

Thanks Beauty, Do i just call like the switchboard number at the PCT?? Its all just so confusing with budgets and funding.

How come some people can just call around the clinics for the waiting times rather than the PCT. I have spoken to a few girls that choose a different clinic due to the first clinics waiting time. My head hurts :wacko:

Thanks for you input girls :hugs:

Not sure how and why ladies can choose different clinics due to waiting times. I know my PCT only use one clinic and it WAS that one they sent you too.
Like i said i rang the hospital and she told me there wasnt such a waiting list the waiting list lies with your PCT on referreal time etc.. So that is when i got in touch with my PCT to be told there was issues with funding (hence why we went private) they confirmed they couldnt put a date on when being referred but it would be around a year.

Not all PCT are the same, some have no waiting lists and its just as and when the hospital then can fit you in, some have a massive waiting list, but its not really the hospital with the lists its the PCT. Like i mentioned before hospital with not treat NHS ladies without the funds from the PCT.

If I was you I would just ring your PCT and ask to speak to the department who deals with IVF funding. Then ask the correct department any queries you have they are the best to speak too. If they arent very helpful then try to find out what hospital you are referrred to and call them direct. I find sometimes chasing them is better than waiting on them to contact you.

Good luck hun

x

Thanks Beauty. Thats really helpfull. Just trying to get my head around it all. There are so many things to think about. Its not hard to confuse me :haha:

All best for the rest of your pregnancy :hugs:

Hi Tinks,
Were you able to call the hospital that you are being treated as to see if you get a choice of clinics to be referred to? We were given a choice of 5 but it seems that some hospitals give you less of a choice

fluffy x

LWH has NO waiting list :shock:

Once we were refered we got our 'first step' open evening 4 weeks from that date (7th Oct). From this evening we both needed screening bloods taken for HIV and Hep C and B (I think) three days later.

Our next appointment is on the 8th November (Monday, almost 4 weeks from the open evening) and from this appointment we ring with my next period and that cycle we will start DR :dance:

So from being refered to actual treatment will should be waiting around 3 / 4 months (depending if we have to miss Dec due to christmas dates clashing).

:flower: x x x x

Was that for private treatment or NHS? Were from north wales. Our consultant referred us last week to LWH, been told we need IVF or similar due to male infertility. I hope were seen as quick as this! Thanks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->