Nickname dilemma

Thegoodtwin

Mom of 1 and expecting #2
Reaction score
OH and I have been discussing names and we both have finally agreed on a girl name. We love Lorelai but I'm slightly worried about how some might shorten that. I personally don't like the name Lori which seems the obvious nickname. I don't want that to completely put me off the name that I love. Any suggestions on another way to shorten for nn?

My honest opinion, if I knew a girl by the name Lorelai my first instinct would be to nn her Lore (said like Law) not Lori. If you don't like the nn aspect of it then you don't have to call her by the nn. I'm sure as she grows into an adult she will know whether she prefers it shortened or not.

You never know, you might find she completely suits Lori as a nn and you change your mind.

People should just call her what you do. I have a Charles and get asked all the time when introducing him "Charles or charlie?" I tell the Charles and that's the end of it. Its more difficult with family (I told some family they could call them what they want and they chose charlie, and i really Dont like it) but as long as you lay it down from the beginning what you want her to go by, it shouldn't be an issue.

Now, if you are WANTING to call her a nn, my favorite is Rory

I agree people will follow suit until they are older. Most kids develop nicknames in school even if they didn't have one before. If you just call her by the full name most people will too until she is old enough to pick. My friend named her daughter Annabelle and always call her that but when she started school she wanted to be belle.

Lore and Lora seem like more natural nicknames for Lorelai than Lori, IMO. I wouldn't let it put you off. My daughter has a name that comes with a very natural nickname (Abigail/Abby) and no one has ever shortened her name to Abby without a) hearing us do it first, or b) without asking which we/she prefers.

If someone does shorten it to something you don't like without asking then just tell them she doesn't respond to that and you prefer the full name or another nickname. Once she gets to school you'll have less control over it but that really could be said for any name!

Even if you pick a name without an obvious nickname they might still end up with one. It doesn't mean you have to use it though. BIL is Philip at home and Phil with his friends

Thanks for your input ladies. I don't think I'll let the possible nickname put me off the name all together especially since it's the only girl name hubby and I can agree on:haha:

I love the show gilmore girls and there Lorelai is shortened to Rory which I love! I think Rory on a girl is so cute!

I'm having a problem with nicknames too!! I'm in love with the name Emerson and the nickname Emma that goes along with it. But I also dearly love the name Charlotte, but would dread the thought of someone calling her Charlie. I'm okay with Lottie, but in afraid no one would call her that.

I have friends with a little girl named Lorelei and they have never had an issue with people shortening it, and I've never heard them call her anything but. I honestly would have never thought to use a nickname in it's place until your post, but I personally would think of the nickname Laurel for Lorelei before Lori. We named our first son Lochlan and everyone kept asking us what his nickname was going to be and warning us that people would call him "Lock". No one has ever even tried to call him anything besides his full name and I figure when he's old enough he can decide if he's okay with a nickname or prefers to correct people. My name is Nicole and when people call me Nikki I just politely correct them, I really dislike Nikki and it's just not my name, but no harm done and no big deal on the occasion it happens. If you love the name, then go for it!

I'm having a problem with nicknames too!! I'm in love with the name Emerson and the nickname Emma that goes along with it. But I also dearly love the name Charlotte, but would dread the thought of someone calling her Charlie. I'm okay with Lottie, but in afraid no one would call her that.

I called my daughter Charlotte but hate Charlie for a girl (keep thinking of it for a boy's name for number 2 & then remember why I can't use it- oops!!). We've always called her Lottie so that's what everyone else calls her. I fully expect her to want to call herself Charlie when she's a teenager, just to annoy me! I will refuse!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->