Night time weeing

lau86

Reaction score
My son is only just 4, he's always worn a pull up to bed and has never been dry at night. Recently he's said to me he doesn't want to wear the pull up so last night I tried him without it. He went for a wee before bed at 7pm then we tried to lift him before we went to bed at 11 but he couldn't/ wouldn't go. Then we were woken up at 3.30 with a wet bed. Which didn't surprise me at all. I'm trying to go with it as he's said he doesn't want it but I can't see how this is going to be a success, I can't see how I'm going to make him last till the morning without weeing... Is there any way I can help him along?

Not really. It's a subconscious act to wake for a wee and a physical one to be able to hold it all night. All the will in the world can't make that happen until lo is ready. I let mine stay in pull ups until they woke up dry every morning for a week.

I'd say persevere with lifting him in the night when you go to bed. This is what we do with our 4 year old and 9 times out of 10 he will have a wee and then a dry bed.
The other things we got are called dry like me pads which are basically thicker panty liners that you can stick inside pants. They seemed to satisfy my son's want to be a big boy! From my experience they don't hold a full bladder but do catch the dribbles. The only place I've seen them for sale is morrisons, about the same price as normal pull ups, I even thought an extra thick panty liner may do the same job!
Hope that helps :)

My 4.5 year old was still in pull ups until 9 weeks ago when we decided to try her without them in the holidays before she started school. Her nappies were always soaking wet every morning so we expected a few wet beds. For the first week her bed was soaking every morning but we had 3 dry beds in the 2nd week then she became dry almost every night on her own. It's been 9 weeks and we still maybe have the odd 1 wet bed a week but the rest of the time she's dry at night..

I don't wake her after she's fallen asleep for the night but she does have a wee at bedtime. I've noticed when she does wet the bed its when she's fallen asleep around 7pm, normally its between 8-8.30pm.x

Thanks, yes it does help I think I've got those pads from when I potty trained him so I'll try them. Last night I woke him up a bit then took him for a wee and he did so I guess it's just persevering. He woke at 6.30 today with a wet bed but it's much better than 3.30 as that's pretty much when he gets up anyway

Our DD had been keen to not wear nappies at night for ages, and had had periods of being mostly dry at night from just over 2. We said she had to be dry for 7 nights in a row before she could stop wearing them. Eventually, when she was just over 4, I tried lifting her when I went to bed, and it worked fantastically. She was out of nappies a week later. However, whenever she's unsettled for whatever reason, we get a wet bed. So she was wet every night for a week after starting school. We're back on track again now!

We have an old fashioned washable incontinence pad which is fantastic. It contains the whole wee and washes well so it's dry for the next night if i wash it first thing in the morning. She won't sleep on it without a sheet on top, so we put a sheet on top. We later the bed: mattress protector, towel, sheet, inco pad, sheet. Therefore, if she does wet the bed, we just take the top sheet and inco pad off and put her straight back to bed. No rummaging around for fresh sheets in the night!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->