Nightshirt or PJs?

AngelUK

Mummy of twin boys
Reaction score
Ok this is probably a silly question but hopefully someone will be able to advise me. I am scheduled for my c-section next Wednesday (Yay! and Waaah!) and I was given a little list on what to bring to the hospital. It said Nightshirt and didn't even give the option of PJs. I HATE nightshirts and never wear them! But it occurred to me that maybe with the section scar I won't be able to wear PJs? Is this so? Or do you think I'd be ok with loose fitting PJs?
Thanks for your answers :) xxx

first couple of days I didn't want anything pressing on my incision. I'd say night shirts.

Nightshirts definatly. You may have a catheter in for a while which would be awkward with pj bottoms on, also your wound will keep getting checked so nightshirts are much better for just pulling up. Also, like the pp said, not having anything pressing on the wound is better.
I also hated wearing them and much preferred pjs but for the sale of a couple of days.

Oh, just thought of another reason, you will bleed a lot and possibly leak so you can pull your nightshirt up so you just leak in the pads x x

Yep, I concur with the other ladies. Incision, catheter, you've got many reasons to want to keep your half bottom free and loose. So add a vote to nightshirt from me, too.:thumbup:

Thank you so much ladies! :) I guess I will buy some nightshirts then. Btw how long does the catheter stay in you? Cause how do you use a pad (which requires undies) for the bleeding while there is a thingy up your weewee :haha:

I didn't have underwear on until my catheter was out which was 36 hours after my op. it was supposed to be 24 hours but I was forgotten about. They usually want to wait to make sure your bladder is producing the right amount of urine and that it is working fine so will wait 12-24 hours but I have read of some ladies getting theirs out straight away. I just had the pad between my legs but you don't move that much anyway so it kind of stays in place.
There is a way of having undies on tho with it still in, it just has to be fed through one of the leg holes before you get in them too :)

With a catheter you will need a gown but honestly after the catheter came out the most painful thing was pulling down my underwear when going to the washroom. You would have twice as much to pull down if you wore pjs!

I had my catheter in for 13 hours. They gave you mesh panties to wear until catheter came out and pads went in there still. I had to be able to get out of bed and sit on the toilet twice before they would think about removing the catheter though....

Ive packed a nighty for day one and 2 pairs of pjs, its what I did last time too :)

I had the catheter for about 24 hours, and to be honest it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. :shrug:

I had one of those disposable panties on, and a HUGE pad. The nurses put it on me, and changed me, and even washed me (well, they poured something warm between my legs which I took to be water) once before the catheter was out.

I gave birth to a private birthing clinic in Athens. Not sure how it works in the UK or elsewhere.

I was in for about a week after my c-section, so packed night shirts, but once my catheter was out and I'd been out of bed, I also wore pj bottoms with the night shirts. After a few days I moved on to jogging bottoms (the yoga trousers you can get with fold-down waist band are great as you can just roll up the waist band to above your scar) and big knickers.

Once the catheter was out they pretty much left me to look after myself in terms of monitoring bleeding etc, so there was no need to wear a night shirt for "easy access" other than when they checked my scar, which is pretty easy to access when wearing pj bottoms.

Thank you so much ladies for all your answers and advice! I am not sure I wont wear my classic VS pjs after all. They don't have an elastic band round the belly but are to be tied and the ones I have a quite loose. Am thinking with the front opening and the easier access of pulling them further down and the top up it will actually be easier. I have this body image problem (since being pregnant and putting on weight its gotten so much worse!) and I just really don't like the idea of bare legs and bare arms. All the nighties I have seen that I liked the look of are cute short things without sleeves. I think they are lovely but they aren't for me. The ones that are long with long arms look like something my maiden aunty of 90 would wear! Or of course those classic men's ones that my father (73) is so oddly fond of. Smexy! Not. But I do thank you so much for your advice. I know you are probably right to recommend nighties but I just don't think I can. :flower:

I stayed in my hospital gown for the first 24 hours, no undies - wasn't even given the option but with the catheter in it would have been a nightmare anyway. The pads were just placed between my legs and I bled heavily and leaked so the nurses kept having to fiddle around and change them (as my legs were completely numb for hours afterwards) and having anything on my bottom half that had to be pulled up and down would be dreadful. Bare in mind you will be immobile for hours and nurses have to do everything for you so they need quick easy access. You will be able to get up and about the day after so it will depend on how sore you are as to what you can manage. I despise nightdresses but bought a cheapy one (remember a strappy one will enable skin to skin contact and bonding with baby) which I wore for the first few hours of getting back on my feet and moving around and when I felt ok I was back in pjs by later that day. Unfortunately you won't know until after the op what will suit so I would take pjs and a nightie or massive tshirt. By that point all dignity and caring about appearances has gone out the window anyway!

Also remember that maternity hospitals are usually really hot so you will need something cool x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->