nipple confusion

AliKitts

Reaction score
is it even possible to feed baby with the boob and sometimes a bottle or will this create too much confusion? anybody doing both?

I know a bunch of people who did both but no idea how old their LOs are when they started.

My friend says she used bottle nipples from tommee tippee and that they are close to BF'ing because of the flow.

Personally planning to delay the bottle as long as possible because I don't think I could solve the issue if nipple confusion were to occur- already had problems with the latch and trying to wean off of nipple shields.

My lo does breast & bottle whilst we are trying to solve why I'm not satisfying her (possible tongue tie/latching problems - not being able to reach the hind milk to fill her up we think currently working with a lactation consultant). Pumping only gives me 30ml if I'm lucky once a day so having to use formula as a top up.

She has no problems using both to get milk, we do feed her 10mls at a time with bottle though as she chokes a bit if drinks too fast & is sick.

I hate using formula but lo was losing too much weight but hopefully this is just short term

I do both. Breastfed for only three days started to express and give it in bottles from day four up until 3 and a half weeks and have been breastfeeding now since 3 and a half weeks up until 5 weeks (the age she is now) it took her a while to learn how to latch on again and she got frustrated but now she's a pro!

From day 1 my daughter has had a combination of both bottle and breast. She had low blood sugar and an elevated white blood cell count so she ended up in the NICU. For a few days she had formula until my supply came in but then was getting fortified BM by bottle due to being on a high cal diet and feeding tube. Until a week old she had only breastfed a handful of times. She did have latching problems but that was due to me having large flat nipples. She now is mostly breastfed and gets a bottle once a day.

I personally think that most babies if introduced equally can accept variety as normal and not experience nipple confusion but of course there are always exceptions. My baby prefers the breast but will take either as well as different size and shapes of pacifiers. I keep offering a variety just in case I ever need to change something up the road.

I was mainly exclusively breast feeding after we came home from the NICU and he stopped having the fortified BM in bottles. Every once In awhile DH would give him a bottle at night to help out. I returned to work a few weeks ago and sadly to say, I think he is experiencing nipple confusion now. He often pulls away and screams and fusses at the breast and it takes awhile to calm him. I know it's not a supply issue because if I pump I get about 3-5 ounces which is what he takes. I usually can get him going, but it takes awhile and for an entire day he wouldn't take the left side! I am trying to nurse him now as often as I can when I am home. Hopefully he will figure it out! He is currently 5 months, 2.5 adjusted.

I do bottle feed exclusively with my milk though.

thats what i want to do too! I was thinking about pumping so that my husband can feed her too to give me abit of a break sometimes lol, but if we ended up with nipple confusion i would find that really stressful, we havent had sany trouble with her latching so far though so i think she would be good with both. Thanks for your advice! :)

We've been using a bottle and nursing for almost three months now. I just pump after the middle if the night feeding, after the morning feeding and after he goes to bed. I am also back at work, so i pump three times at work when I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->