Nipple damage

captainj1

Mum of two
Reaction score
Anyone got any advice for me? My ds is 9 days old and so far is ebf. However I have left nipple which is cracked in the top and bleeding and right nipple which is cracked in an arc around the base. Both boobs are comfy to feed from once I get ds latched on, but the initial latch is excruciating and ultimately, despite applying Lansinoh, and breast milk, the nipples are not healing. I've tried to express but the pump opens up the crack same as the latch does. Same with nipple shield. Supply doesn't seem to be an issue and she is feeding well once that initial 2 seconds is over.

I ebf my ds for 3 months before he was diagnosed with milk allergies. Wanted to do 3 months with ds too but I only have 5 months off work and don't want to spend most of it stressing about this so am open minded about where this ends up I just don't want to lose time and beat myself up. I had a section with Ds too so am sore enough elsewhere.

I think you probably better off seeing a lactation consultant. Lansinoh didn't do anything to my cracked nipples and I actually got mastitis because I suffered for a bit before getting help. I got a prescription for ointment for nipples which works much better than Lansinoh and nipple shield that helps with painful latch. Hope it gets better for you!

Thanks hon - think I will try a different shield for a couple of days and see how it goes xxx

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions but I feel for you! Mine were like this and still hurt. The only thing I could think of that would be more gentle until they've recovered a bit is manually expressing. If you get the technique right in find its just as efficient as pumping.

I think it could be ur nipples are not getting dry enougb to heal. I had the same problem. Although I couldn't get my lb to latch properly at all so the excruciating pain lasting the whole way through the feed. I feel for u as ur are still recovering from ur c section. I would rest, try to dry nipples as much as possible apply lanolin minutes before breast feeding. Use the shields to protect, dry after feed and repeat. I think this might help.Fx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qpurple547
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->