nipple shields and conflicting advice

Mabv812

Reaction score
I have one nipple that is flat and one that comes out after some suction. We have been using the shield for 2 weeks. One lactation consultant told me I ned to start weening him off it ( but didn't explain how and I haven't been successful trying to get him off on my own) and another told me do it aafter we have a solid bfing routine. Are there bad outcomes to continue the shield?? No one has told me so. But I can't seem to get him to latch onto me! Aaahhhh!

from medela: As the baby’s breastfeeding ability improves, remove the shield at various times during each feeding. If the baby seems unable to nurse without the shield, this means the problem is not yet resolved. Just keep practicing. So long as the baby is growing well, the continued use of the shield is not a major problem. If it appears that the baby could manage without the shield and is using it from habit, some mothers try spending a day in bed with the baby. Quiet time with increased skin-to-skin contact and frequent practicing will reassure the baby that he or she doesn’t really need the shield any more.

I'd suggest correcting the shape of your flat nipple with your fingers or a breast pump.There is also a way to bring your nipple out using a syringe:
with a 10 cc disposable syringe. Remove the plunger, and with a sharp knife cut off a half inch from the nozzle end. Insert the plunger into the cut end of the syringe. Place the uncut open end of the syringe over your nipple so it rests up against your areola. Gently pull on the plunger to draw out your nipple just before putting baby to the breast.

https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/f...ding/common-problems/flat-or-inverted-nipples

I believe that nipple shields can be problematic in the long run because babies end up getting less milk through them, which is probably why they've advised you to try to wean off them. However I do know people who have used them long term and not had any problems.

Have you tried removing the shield mid feed? I've heard that can help as the LO is already feeding and the nipple is drawn out.

I went to the breastfeeding clinic worried about this. She gave me sound advice about shields - if that's what saved your feeding and keeps you breastfeeding then so be it. I found that sliding the shield out mid-feed worked like a dream.

I have the exact same issue. My first was on shields for 8 weeks, then just clicked and managed without. I just tried without at the beginning and towards the end of every feed and at some point it worked. We never had any issues with supply or anything, other than me HATING the hassle of the stupid shields. This time, we're 2 1/2 weeks in and manage without a shield on one breast some of the time. I hope it won't take another 6 weeks to get off them but if it does, then so be it. I use Medela shields btw, the ones with the cut-out, as I found them to be the closest to nursing without.

If there is good milk transfer, there is no need to worry. If baby is gaining weight and being satisfied, the only issue with the shields is the bother of using them.

They *can* cause bad milk transfer, but newer shields aren't as likely to cause issue.

I kept telling my LC I wanted to get off them, and she finally told me that it was up to my LO. As long as he is gaining weight (he was gaining great) and getting milk, they were just a problem for me not him.

There are no bad outcomes to long term use, especially with modern silicone shields.

However, there are loads of advantages to being able to get off the shields: "freedom" in that you can leave the house and it's one less thing to potentially forget (and the one time I did it was a disaster!); less faff and flash (as I used to describe it) getting the shield on with a hungry baby crying at you whilst you're flashing your boob everywhere; less mess and effort with cleaning the shields...

... the big thing for me though was that feeding times halved immediately when I finally managed to wean J off the shields. The free time added in an extra hour in the day where I wasn't sat on the sofa unable to move. Glorious!

Thanks ladies! I will keep trying to ween him off midfeed. Hopefully he will take it eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->