Nipple Shields - are they ok?

My midwife checked me over today and told me today that it is perfectly normal for this to happen and she will never forget herself what it can feel like when they latch on at the beginning. She said she used to have to bite down on something! One of my nipples hurts worse that the other and I seriously start to feel all panicky and anxious when I know she is about to latch onto that nipple.

My midwife checked me over today and told me today that it is perfectly normal for this to happen and she will never forget herself what it can feel like when they latch on at the beginning. She said she used to have to bite down on something! One of my nipples hurts worse that the other and I seriously start to feel all panicky and anxious when I know she is about to latch onto that nipple.

Ditto :) The HV came out to me for the first time today and says she remembers it well also! She says it will pass eventually, hopefully within the next week - it just takes time. She was much more honest than the MW who seemed to think everything should be pain free and gave me the impression if it wasn't pain free I must be doing it wrong. We did try a slightly different latch yesterday but it quicky gave way to pain again. Frankly I think it's a matter of time and if we can just get through the forst couple of weeks it will get better. The HV returns next wednesday so my goal is to hopefully feel better by then.

Like you I'm dreading feeds at the moment, to the point where I feel queasy with anxiety when I know it's time to feed. But the pain is only momentary and LO is getting enough milk so that's all that matters really. I just keep praying to whoever might listen that it will pass soon!

Seems that nobody can agree whether this pain is normal or not - MW came out today and we tried yet more different positions (ie without cushions) but the pain remains until lo has sucked a few good sucks and then it's gone.

We even have the BF support lady researching me now to see what it could be. She says that the nipples should heal fairly quickly once the latch is correct and yet the pain for me isn't subsiding. Nipples are still cracked although they seem to slowly be getting better.

IF it is painful letdown, how quickly will it likely subside?

It's hard to remember because I was so overwhelmed with new baby and huge boobs, everything being so new... About a week -ish :shrug:

The first week for me was complete agony. Reduced me to tears every time she latched on. But, once we got to about day 8 or 9 the pain seemed to disappear. It's still a bit painful to latch her on, but nothing compared to what it used to be and it settles to no pain at all in a matter of seconds.

There's definitely light at the end of the tunnel! It's just a shame that people are told it only hurts if they're doing it wrong. It's simply not true. Well done for sticking it out! :D

As for the nipple shields, they didn't help my pain at all! I used Avent shields if it helps anyone... avoid!

x

Yep I had this too (see my thread about prickly boobs!!). I agree whoever said bf'ing doesn't hurt even if you're doing it perfectly is definitely wrong!!

I still get a bit of a pain on letdown but nothing like the first couple of weeks - it was proper toe curling pain!

lo has decided to feed every two to three hours for the past day which is really putting strain on my poor nipples. she used to go four hours without any problems. by the time i feed her, change her, feed her again and try to settle her i'm only getting about an hours sleep before she's awake again. feeling the strain now :( and the pain is as intense as ever. nipples don't really seem to be healing - HV said they should get better within a few days if the latch is ok - i just can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. this pain must have been going on for almost 2 weeks now. i've had 4 mw's give me advice and a bf support lady and they all have different opinions - i'm trying to change positions and latches to try and make it better but all it seems to be doing is making it worse. we're even wondering if it's the lansinoh cream now but i can't bear the thought of not using it! rubbing a little breast milk in after a feed helps stop any pain if they start to dry out but only momentarily.

having a bit of a rant today as it's getting to me now :(

Lansinoh was designed specifically for people with lanolin allergies in mind and, so far, has shown up no allergic reactions so I really doubt it's that. You need to keep using it as nipple cracks heal best when moist and the lansinoh provides that moisture. Are you using it lots and lots and never letting the nipple get dry?

I think you basically just have more sensitive nipples than some. It will definitely get better, once the cracks heal it will just get better and better. Don't lose hope, you're doing brilliantly to get this far! xxx

My nipples are ever so slightly less painful today when she latches on, which has given me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel, but I nearly gave up altogether yesterday as my breasts were so engorged, hard, swollen, hot and painful. I had no idea breastfeeding was going to be so hard.

Lansinoh was designed specifically for people with lanolin allergies in mind and, so far, has shown up no allergic reactions so I really doubt it's that. You need to keep using it as nipple cracks heal best when moist and the lansinoh provides that moisture. Are you using it lots and lots and never letting the nipple get dry?

I think you basically just have more sensitive nipples than some. It will definitely get better, once the cracks heal it will just get better and better. Don't lose hope, you're doing brilliantly to get this far! xxx

like Jchihuahua i'm almost on the verge of giving up hope and switching to expressing and bottles - i really really dont want to do this but it's excruciating at the moment. bf lady is coing to see me tomorrow so i'll wait until then and get her opinion.

another option someone told me was giving my boob a rest for 24 hours and just feed from one boob but with lo feeding every 3 hours i dont want to mess up my bodys supply by doing this as the last thing i want is an engorged bood (although i can use a hand pump to relieve the build up - but this doesnt help the other boob regulate its flow - plus both are so painful at the moment i dont think it'd make much difference)

I'm going to continue the lansinoh as I can't bear the thought of not using it. I keep them as moist as I can - to the point where i wonder sometimes if it's too much and the constant dampess could be aggravating it? i change my breast pads regularly (we did wonder if it was those but they're breathable disposables so they should be ok).

My nipples are ever so slightly less painful today when she latches on, which has given me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel, but I nearly gave up altogether yesterday as my breasts were so engorged, hard, swollen, hot and painful. I had no idea breastfeeding was going to be so hard.

my thoughts are with you - it really is a tough time isn't it :hugs:

I had the same problem and was on the verge of giving up, I had a complete break from breast feeding for about 2 days, I expressed and bottle fed whilst using loads of lansoh cream, this might not be ideal as he might not want to go back on the breast after bottles (i used closer to nature ones which are designed to let you switch between breast and botttle) but it worked wonders for me. Have also occasionally used nipple sheilds with no problems. It does definately get easier and less painfull.

i just want to thank everyone for their support in this - listening to real mum's has been such a great help i dont think i could carry on without you all!

today things seem better - i've had an almost pain free feeding session from my right boob -i'm tentatively hoping things are going to get better now and my mood has lifted.

thank you all for your support during this very tough time. this forum is a godsend!

:happydance:

Good to hear hon :)
Things will get better and better x

I remember a similar turning point for me... one nipple hurt much less and eventually, didn't hurt at all and the other soon caught up. You get there, eventually. Soon you'll be telling all the new mummies coming through about your own experiences! Bravo you :D x

This post is great!! I have a blocked duct in one breast and a severly cracked nipple on the other!! Have been expressing and feeding from a cup which has provided a little relief! Going to give it another day to heal and then try again! The experiences on here are making me feel so much better - I was in tears last night at the thought I might not be able to feed my daughter but feeling a lot more positive today!! Thanks guys. :thumbup:

This post is great!! I have a blocked duct in one breast and a severly cracked nipple on the other!! Have been expressing and feeding from a cup which has provided a little relief! Going to give it another day to heal and then try again! The experiences on here are making me feel so much better - I was in tears last night at the thought I might not be able to feed my daughter but feeling a lot more positive today!! Thanks guys. :thumbup:

:hugs:
Keep at it mummy :happydance:

Don't forget to let your nipples get AIR. DH used to make fun of me b/c I would never put on a top. The constant rubbing of the shirt against my boobs was too painful. Love the lansinoh cream too!

hi guys - my pain still isn't getting any better - could it be thrush?

my lo has a white tongue but as far as i can see no other white bits in her mouth - has anyone had thrust? what are the signs?

my left boob is still very cracked and sore with a tiny area of whiteness - could this be some sort of infection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->