Nipple shields for flat and small nipples

lewood88

Mom of 2 expecting #3
Reaction score
Hey girls i really wanted to breastfeed dd2 and she just wouldnt latch on as i have flat nipples:( well im expecting again and i want to push breastfeeding this time so ive looked into nipple shields, when i was in hospital i mentioned them to the midwife there and she said not to use them and tbf they never offered me any support so i ended up bottle feeding her and ending up with mastitus:cry:

So u want to hear your verdicts on them and successes please

I breastfed my first son successfully with them for right months...then he decided to stop nursing. I am currently using it with my new son. We are two months in and no issues. In fact, i have nursed successfully and frozen 400oz for when i go back to work. Do what you feel comfortable with. The medela brand is great.

I would try without them first as you may not have a problem this time. I have the same problem and have never needed to use shields, it has been hard at times but not insurmountable. If you need to use them after that though then go for it xx

I was given a shield right after delivery as I have inverted nipples and it allowed me to nurse when I wouldn't have been able to. We are currently working on getting my DS off of the shield and are making progress. The shield can be a great tool to allow nursing if there are certain anatomy issues, but there are also cons to them. While it's hard right now getting off of them, I'm glad I used a shield cause if not my baby wouldn't have been able to BF. Good luck!

Ooh congrats on the new bump! I remember you in the Tri forums :flower:

I have flat nipples too, I bought Medela shields and they worked like a charm. She sometimes pulled them off herself and I found that if I shaped the areola a little, like squished it a bit vertically, she could latch on without the shield and pull the nipple out herself.

Good luck

One of my nipples is quite flat and I eventually was able to get Devyn to latch. In the beginning I needed to roll it around to get it to stick out as much as possible them work with him to latch at every feed. I also pumped that side every other feed. One day he finally latched on and has no problems now :) once you get them feeding it will help pull the flat nipple out more, I'm still more flat in that side but not nearly as much as when we started.

Ooh congrats on the new bump! I remember you in the Tri forums :flower:

I have flat nipples too, I bought Medela shields and they worked like a charm. She sometimes pulled them off herself and I found that if I shaped the areola a little, like squished it a bit vertically, she could latch on without the shield and pull the nipple out herself.

Good luck

I remember u Hun too it was a massive shock finding out I'm pregnant again and I was a it devo'd lol but like my dad said get them out the way lol but I'm more determined to breast feed I really wanted to do it with dd1 and dd2 and I wished I knew about these nipple shields sooner xx

I'm thinking about throwing caution to the wind and start NTNP as pregnancy seems to have fixed things :)

I think it's lovely to have 3 so close. Hard work I bet, but lovely all the same

Yea fingers crossed this baby is a good baby like both my girls

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->