No birthing/childbirth classes, help!

MonstHer

Reaction score
Hello ladies. Maybe you can help me.
My hospital does not have any sort of birthing or labor class available whatsoever!
(no options for me to go anywhere else)
I want to go completely natural in this, so I've hired a Doula.
My concern mostly:
I mean seriously?! My first child and NO classes or childbirth education are available? I guess we just have to wing it? :shrug:
Please recommend to me ways to learn myself. :wacko:
Books? Favorite trusted websites? Online instructional videos?
Waterbirth is not available either.

Your doula should do some ante natal prep with you.

What is it you want from a class? Info? Encouragement? I have a list of resources as long as your arm.......! :)

I want to know what happens, how it happens,
How to concentrate through the pain and deal with it without accepting pain meds or induction "helping" drugs if things aren't going fast enough for them.
How to labor somewhat at home and knowing when i absolutely have to go in.
I am scared of the hospital to boot, so I need to learn how to get over the fear if it stops my labor once i get to the hospital.

I highly recommend Marie Mongan's Hypnobirthing book, as well as "Natural Childbirth: The Bradley Way," by Susan McCutcheon, "Husband Coached Childbirth: The Bradley Method," by Bradley. While the last 2 mention "husband-coached," your coach can be whoever. I found a great deal of awesome info in all of these books, and I am literally so excited to give birth at this point! Good luck with everything!

My original midwife failed to arrange antenatal classes and it's my first. To be honest I don't think I will need them as I have swapped to the homebirth team and my new midwife went into a little of what to expect and she will be there the whole time to support me anyway.

x

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birthwise-...NJ7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315050974&sr=8-1

I like the birthwise DVD, i got it at the babyshow when pregnant with ds1 and OH and i did it together caus the NHS antenatal classes were oversubscribed and we couldnt afford nct classes, i had some experience prior to this after attending homebirth classes with my mother 2wice during my late childhood,

You're doula should be able to tailor some antenatal preparation to suit you perfectly :)

I have had 4 children and never been to a class yet.
The most useful thing I had was a MW once told me how to breathe while I was in labour and it really helped.
I would have thought your doula would help you with a lot of your questions such as when to go in and how to have a natural labour.

Definitely have a chat with your doula! It's part of her job. :D

In the meantime, some light reading....?

I'd have a read of Marie Mongan's Hypnobirthing. I had a bit of a light bulb moment when I read the bit on HOW the uterus works during birth. There is a diagram and it's all laid out very clearly. I found that helpful. The more you can relax, the better. (I don't agree with all her ideas, especially not the bit about massaging the perineum. But there's good stuff in there :) )

Know your hormones! This is a good article :)

Excellent piece on pushing by Gloria Lemay.

The more undisturbed you are, the better! Even vets know this :) Safer Birth In A Barn?

The most helpful thing in labour for me was WATER (shower, bath, birth pool, DRINKING lots!) and BREATHING. Focus, focus, focus the breathing. Breathe them down and out :)

Thanks ladies!
I will definitely check out the mentioned books. : D
My Doula also gave me Your Baby, Your Way.
So far it's really good!

I had a natural birth with my son and never took any classes or read any books. I went with the flow and just trusted my instincts. I'm not saying that you shouldn't take a class or anything though! If you want to you definitely should! Just saying it's not necessarily a disaster if you don't - also I don't know if anything can really REALLY prepare you that first time! It is such an intense and amazing experience! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->