No boots advantage points on infant formua!? - punishing us bottle feeders!wrong

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
As if I wasnt feeling enough of a failure for not being able to breastfeed my baby, I now learn that Boots will not give Advantage card points on any 'from birth' formula milk! Apparently the government wont let them give any benefits to mothers who use formula before 6 months??

Just what you need when your stood with a queue behind you, Im sure I could here the tuts in peoples minds! how dare I not breastfeed but still expect points :nope: tut tut tut.......

hmm.....and who said mothers who bottle feed are not judged :growlmad:

They're not allowed by law. I agree they shouldn't give points on birth formula and I'm a formula feeder!

I think I commented on a similar thread a while back. I have BF but now FF (and use from birth formula), and I can say I totally agree with the ban on promotion (which would include any benefits such as points) of first formula after researching some of the underhand tactics used to promote formula in the past (and still come to think of it!)

I think it's more about protection than punishment.

I agree with the above posters, unfortunately there is a long history of formula companies acting unscrupulously in this regard. Another thing is that in the US and several other countries promotions and/or advertising on first stage formula are allowed and it actually leads to formula being far more expensive in those countries because there is no such thing as a 'free lunch' and the the formula companies recoup their marketing costs by tacking them onto the price of the formula. So the law is there to protect FF mums from unethical price hikes and so on also. I have FF in the past as well but agree with the law as it stands. xx

I think this is the thread pink polka dot meant

[Moderator Edit]

Eta: I'm aware the above thread ended up being locked though more due to people posting irrelevant 'comedy' remarks and pictures as opposed to any negativity however if the mods are not happy with this being linked to her please feel free to delete this post xx

I don't think it's punishment. If you did manage to BF your baby em then you'd not be getting "points" for that... I certainly agree with no promoting Ff before 6months...

I'm among the many "failure moms" who reluctantly gives formula.

I do not live in the UK and am outraged on your behalf. There are sometimes similar restrictions on stores giving bonus points or rewards on cigarette and alcohol purchases. This takes formula down to the level of something dirty.

That's my opinion. I am sorry to the OP that you were made to feel that way.

I also feel sorry you had to deal with that, it sucks enough that we have to pay for food that bf moms get to give for free. FF was not a choice for many women and to be additionally punished is not fair.

We don't allow cross posting. :flower:

I see both sides of the argument....but it's not the formula companies that would be benefiting, is it? That's why it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I see both sides of the argument....but it's not the formula companies that would be benefiting, is it? That's why it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Promotion of a product = more sales for that product = benefits the formula co

Also I don't know what you guys think but I find that Boots is quite expensive. I can find most of the stuff in there cheaper elsewhere. I guess their prices have to be a little higher to cover the advantage points they give out (you don't get owt for free and all that...) So if this law didn't exist I am guessing you would get points on formula but you would pay the price!

^I certainly agree with this, in boots they do sell much more of items that are reduced price or that have advantage card points on and this does profit the company whose product it is I find boots a bit of a con and only shop there at airports etc but a lot of people love the idea of collecting the advantage points and using those machine things to get additional money off coupons in the shop. Also formula In the UK is cheaper than the US and even many developed countries where incomes are much lower and in those countries promotions on formula are not restricted, even with coupons you can just about get formula for the same price as in the UK. It's a bit like value brand stuff, it's so cheap because the companies keep the packaging simple and don't usually advertise these ranges or offer 'money off' promotions on them, formula is somewhat the same in this regard, it's the lack of special offers that is keeping uk formula at some of the lowest prices in the world xx

If the government is that worried about the promotion of ffing before 6 months then why bother having it on the shelves at all...why not just make it a law that formula can't be used unless you prove your baby's age? (this is said with tongue in cheek of course!).

Thanks for your replies, some interesting points!

My main issue with Boots was that they offer their Advantage points on ALL other items in the store, and even give more points than usual on baby items. Infant formula is a set price (Cow and Gate £7.99) wherever you buy it from, I believe the government dont allow promotions. I dont see the Boots points scheme as a specific promotion as its something they do on all items, all of the time. I felt that I was being singled out for formula feeding, like I was being a bad mother.
It was not out of choice that I am now FF, I tried BF for 4 days and LO was so hungry I had to do what I could to feed her.

I agree BF is best, but I dont think that FF moms should be singled out in the way the government enforce currently.

BF mums don't get any boots advantage points for BF and there are some other exclusions for advantage card points not just infant formula, when I was FF my son it was a comfort formula so cost more. But it didn't bother me there weren't points on infant formula just like it doesn't bother me that there are no points/offers on some types of medicines etc xx

If the government is that worried about the promotion of ffing before 6 months then why bother having it on the shelves at all...why not just make it a law that formula can't be used unless you prove your baby's age? (this is said with tongue in cheek of course!).

Agree sg. Just lock those moms up and be done with it.:winkwink:

I'm sorry that you're having negative feelings about having to FF, there is absolutely no need for you to feel like that, you can only do your best after all and please rememeber that any breastmilk your baby has had will benefit them. Colostrum has more white cells (antibodies) than blood and your baby has had all the goodness of that. :hugs:

Regarding promotions on formulas, this is done to protect both breastfeeding and formula fed babies and is put in place due to the WHO code of marketing breast milk substitutes. The WHO code does apply worldwide, but it is not meant to penalise FF Mums, but to protect babies that are FF from the appalling and underhand marketing an d promotion practices of the companies that make formula.

Thanks all. I am disappointed to be FF I must admit, but understand it is the first choice for many moms for various reasons. I guess I always assumed I would be able to BF. that's the one thing I've learnt since having my LO.....assume nothing! :)

I do see the reasoning behind the governments decision to a degree but I think it Gould be handled more sensitively by retailers, maybe ensuring we are all better informed.

I still don't get it, lol. I just figure that people aren't going to buy more formula than they need just because they get points for it. I feel neutral.

I think it's a it ott. I mean, it's not as though someone is going to choose to ff solely on the basis that they can get more boots points, and tbh if you based your decision on that then there is more to worry about then whether you breastfeed or not!

A lot of people do not choose to ff, and what about people who adopt, or single fathers. It's ridiculous. Why can't people do whatever the hell they want without the government constantly concerning themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->