No Colostrum at 34 weeks pregnant?

mrs_park

Mummy to THREE BOYS!
Reaction score
Hi ladies. I posted this in 3rd tri as well but thought I might get more answers in here....

With both of my previous pregnancies, I was producing colostrum by now. This pregnancy I have nothing.... I'm having a schedualed section and wanted to have some expressed in syringes, just in case and I can't get anything out, not even a drop. Wondering if it has something to do with the fact I stopped breastfeeding DS2 only a couple of months ago, are my boobs confused?

With my first pregnancy my breasts leaked from late second tri on. Second baby (five years later), they did not leak at all. I even posted a question about this in the 3rd tri forum because I was worried this meant I would not have enough milk.

I had my baby in February and if anything I have too much milk! So don't worry, it's completely normal to not see any colostrum before the birth.

Agree with misscyn. I never leaked at all during pregnancy, dd is 8 weeks tomorrow and I've had no trouble feeding her at all.

How long have you been trying to express? Some people leak colostrum, some need to stimulate the breast to get any out during pregnancy. It is a really good idea to keep trying "just in case" like you said, BUT if you can't don't worry - a scheduled C-section will have you awake and able to do skin to skin just as quick as a vaginal birth and the same hormones are in play whether it's vaginal or section so the method of birth shouldn't affect your feeding method (unless LO has a medical condition that needs urgent treatment and that's why you are having a section).

I didn't have any colostrum or leaks all through pregnancy. The colostrum only came after I had given birth :)

Thanks ladies xx

I've been trying to express for about a week. With my last section I had been in labour for some time before a c section was called for and while they were getting theatre organised they had me express some and I was glad I did because though I held him in theatre, they took him away while I was in recovery. He had skin to skin with DH while they waited for me and he was trying to latch onto DH shoulder so they gave him the colostrum I expressed.

I guess I will keep trying. Thanks again xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"